Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Finding tolerence in Christendom.. or nonsectarian educational institutions « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 14

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#30 : February 10, 2011, 01:59:37 AM

I always think it's funny when people assert that only Christians have issues with tolerance.

Christ himself said "I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father, but by me..." and later "...there is but one name under heaven given, that man might be saved...".

If you then attend a church that SAYS it is different in that it is "open to all beliefs" then that group is not being intellectually honest. Because if the founder of a belief says his is the only one name, and one way to redemption - you have a problem with Jesus Christ.

To my knowledge - every major religion has behavoiral standards that could be considered exclusionary and intolerant - including secular humanism.

You don't adjust a religion to fit your desires - sure the morality derived from our religious beliefs provide a basis for self-discipline/self-control - but a belief is more than that. A belief reconciles your relationship with the supreme being - and that realignment adjusts our desires.

For the anti-religion religious bigots - you prove my point with every post. nybucguy - I find you completely intolerant of the Christian thought process. How's that hypocrisy treatin' ya?

You believe in insane stories and then try to project these irrational beliefs on others, and you need to be called out for it.  Id do the same to someone who claimed pink unicorns fly out of his butt or that god says its okay to poop in the shower on thursdays.  Labeling crazy as crazy does not equate to bigotry.    It is a question of reality vs. fantasy.  Denying reality and portraying yourself as a victim doesnt make your insanity any more tangible, and you certainly arent exmpt from criticism.

You seem extremely judgemental and intolerant...I wonder what you'd look like with one of those funny little mustache's and a uniform (I bet you could draw some crouds)!
: February 10, 2011, 02:01:59 AM The White Tiger

Incomparable sig by Incognito

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#31 : February 10, 2011, 02:01:14 AM

You don't adjust a religion to fit your desires

You killed anyone for working on Sunday recently? Or have you made a few adjustments of your own?

I'll answer if you tell me how many times you beat your wife last week...

Incomparable sig by Incognito

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#32 : February 10, 2011, 02:14:17 AM

No longer married. So, have you realized that many, many, adjustments have been made to your religion in spite of your assertions to the contrary?

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

OneTruth

Pro Bowler

#33 : February 10, 2011, 06:06:21 AM

No matter what you believe in some degree of faith is required. Although it is written "it is impossible to please God without faith", it does not have to be blind. There is ample evidence to support Christianity. In fact, if you combine all the evidence in the history of the world Christianity comes out victorious. That, of course, is my opinion; however I was not always a Christian but 20 years ago went searching for meaning in my life and answers to its deeper questions. Now I am not part of any particular sect. I have studied Jehovah Witness', Seventh Day Adventists, Mormons, Islam, Scientology, Catholicism, and a few others. I have not found one that is totally in agreement with the Bible 100%, although some are much closer than others.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#34 : February 10, 2011, 08:06:51 AM

My neighbors are a bit of a wild child, flower power type. They are good people but do not believe in God. They think something is out there but are more of the ying, yang, cosmic power. Kinda hippyish to be truthful. We sit down with a beer and discuss God, Christianity, spriritualism etc on a relatively regular basis. We disagree and they use terms like they don't understand it, don't feel there is a supreme being, it is a bit silly and essentially have discussions about a lot subjects that appear on this board. The conversation does not start with words like, crazy, nutjob, idiot, moron etc and so forth.That is offensive, intolerant and abusive from the get go and set the tone of the "conversation".

A lot of Christians may say that if you do not believe in Christ, or participate in a certain behavior you will go to hell. Those who do not lash back with responses such as "that's because you're an effin idiot!" Well, if you don't believe it is going to happen, why do you care and get so uptight about it?

I guess what i am trying to say is that we ought to be able to have a conversation on this subject in a civil and respectful manner, but we can't. And, those who contribute most to the incivility are the ones who lay the accusations of intolerance and bigotry. Figure that one out.

OneTruth

Pro Bowler

#35 : February 10, 2011, 09:37:35 AM

highly emotionally charged subject. If people can keep their emotions in check it is a very interesting subject which happens to be of utmost importance.

Christianity states if you are informed about Jesus and you do not accept him as your savior and admit he is the son of God you will go to hell. PERIOD. To accept him you MUST REPENT. Repent = stop doing wrong. This is foundation of the faith plainly stated many times over in the Bible. We will be judged on what we SAY and DO. What you think affects these things - so it is important to get your mind right also.
The reason for this is...no matter how good a person is, even giving everything they own to the poor and committing their life to helping widows and orphans they will still go to hell if they reject Jesus because...We (humans race) cannot save ourselves by works alone. You must have faith AND works. This is God's method for delivering mankind back to the light from the darkness and from the authority of Satan.

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

#36 : February 10, 2011, 09:38:33 AM

You don't adjust a religion to fit your desires

You killed anyone for working on Sunday recently? Or have you made a few adjustments of your own?

I'll answer if you tell me how many times you beat your wife last week...

Looks like a nerve may have been touched there ...

nybuccguy

Pro Bowler
#37 : February 10, 2011, 09:45:27 AM

My neighbors are a bit of a wild child, flower power type. They are good people but do not believe in God. They think something is out there but are more of the ying, yang, cosmic power. Kinda hippyish to be truthful. We sit down with a beer and discuss God, Christianity, spriritualism etc on a relatively regular basis. We disagree and they use terms like they don't understand it, don't feel there is a supreme being, it is a bit silly and essentially have discussions about a lot subjects that appear on this board. The conversation does not start with words like, crazy, nutjob, idiot, moron etc and so forth.That is offensive, intolerant and abusive from the get go and set the tone of the "conversation".

A lot of Christians may say that if you do not believe in Christ, or participate in a certain behavior you will go to hell. Those who do not lash back with responses such as "that's because you're an effin idiot!" Well, if you don't believe it is going to happen, why do you care and get so uptight about it?

I guess what i am trying to say is that we ought to be able to have a conversation on this subject in a civil and respectful manner, but we can't. And, those who contribute most to the incivility are the ones who lay the accusations of intolerance and bigotry. Figure that one out.

Clearly face to face conversations are more civil. We dont have that luxury here.  Explain this to me Spartan, who is the intolerant one.......   The guy pointing out that Christianity is not based on logic or reason, or the guy who feels his religion is grounds to deny civil liberties to 10% of the population?   When Atheists start claiming Christians should not be allowed to marry and attempt to pass legislation based on that belief, then you can call us intolerant. Untill then, my posting on a message board could never reach ta level of intolerance that Christians do when they MEDDLE WITH THE LIVES OF OTHERS!

nybuccguy

Pro Bowler
#38 : February 10, 2011, 09:50:53 AM

I always think it's funny when people assert that only Christians have issues with tolerance.

Christ himself said "I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father, but by me..." and later "...there is but one name under heaven given, that man might be saved...".

If you then attend a church that SAYS it is different in that it is "open to all beliefs" then that group is not being intellectually honest. Because if the founder of a belief says his is the only one name, and one way to redemption - you have a problem with Jesus Christ.

To my knowledge - every major religion has behavoiral standards that could be considered exclusionary and intolerant - including secular humanism.

You don't adjust a religion to fit your desires - sure the morality derived from our religious beliefs provide a basis for self-discipline/self-control - but a belief is more than that. A belief reconciles your relationship with the supreme being - and that realignment adjusts our desires.

For the anti-religion religious bigots - you prove my point with every post. nybucguy - I find you completely intolerant of the Christian thought process. How's that hypocrisy treatin' ya?

You believe in insane stories and then try to project these irrational beliefs on others, and you need to be called out for it.  Id do the same to someone who claimed pink unicorns fly out of his butt or that god says its okay to poop in the shower on thursdays.  Labeling crazy as crazy does not equate to bigotry.    It is a question of reality vs. fantasy.  Denying reality and portraying yourself as a victim doesnt make your insanity any more tangible, and you certainly arent exmpt from criticism.

You seem extremely judgemental and intolerant...I wonder what you'd look like with one of those funny little mustache's and a uniform (I bet you could draw some crouds)!

Clearly you are "intollerant" of Nazis in the same sense as I am "intollerant" of Christians.   Backwards thinking, and evil should not be tolerated. I wouldnt expect you to understand considering you are using the Glenn Beck defense.

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

#39 : February 10, 2011, 09:50:54 AM

highly emotionally charged subject. If people can keep their emotions in check it is a very interesting subject which happens to be of utmost importance.

Christianity states if you are informed about Jesus and you do not accept him as your savior and admit he is the son of God you will go to hell. PERIOD. To accept him you MUST REPENT. Repent = stop doing wrong. This is foundation of the faith plainly stated many times over in the Bible. We will be judged on what we SAY and DO. What you think affects these things - so it is important to get your mind right also.
The reason for this is...no matter how good a person is, even giving everything they own to the poor and committing their life to helping widows and orphans they will still go to hell if they reject Jesus because...We (humans race) cannot save ourselves by works alone. You must have faith AND works. This is God's method for delivering mankind back to the light from the darkness and from the authority of Satan.

OT, just for the record, that is all stuff based on YOUR interpretation of Christianity. Other Christians have different interpretations .... which is one of the things that has always puzzled me about that religion ... the huge difference in interpreting the route to where you spend Eternity...

nybuccguy

Pro Bowler
#40 : February 10, 2011, 09:55:20 AM

OT, just for the record, that is all stuff based on YOUR interpretation of Christianity. Other Christians have different interpretations .... which is one of the things that has always puzzled me about that religion ... the huge difference in interpreting the route to where you spend Eternity...

I guess a perfect being struggles at making his message clear. Perhaps he needs to write more books or have another kid.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#41 : February 10, 2011, 12:11:30 PM

Clearly face to face conversations are more civil. We dont have that luxury here.  Explain this to me Spartan, who is the intolerant one.......   The guy pointing out that Christianity is not based on logic or reason, or the guy who feels his religion is grounds to deny civil liberties to 10% of the population?   When Atheists start claiming Christians should not be allowed to marry and attempt to pass legislation based on that belief, then you can call us intolerant. Untill then, my posting on a message board could never reach ta level of intolerance that Christians do when they MEDDLE WITH THE LIVES OF OTHERS!

Yet you are happy to impose your (non) beliefs upon me.

Whenever there is a difference of opinion there are 3 possible solutions:

1. Agree to disagree and go your own way.
2. Come to some kind of common ground.
3. One side of the discussion holds sway (wins) over the other.

What a lot of people seem to say is if you win, you are intolerant, if I win it is because I am right. Maybe, just maybe people need to realize that and be honest about it before they progress the discussion. If they don't, and fail to address it the conversation will never, ever move forward.

OneTruth

Pro Bowler

#42 : February 10, 2011, 12:25:45 PM

good point ^^

OneTruth

Pro Bowler

#43 : February 10, 2011, 12:38:32 PM

For the record Klink, yes it is my opinion because that what Jesus has said. If you believe the gospels...

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

#44 : February 10, 2011, 12:57:37 PM

For the record Klink, yes it is my opinion because that what Jesus has said. If you believe the gospels...

Heaven by faith, not works ...?
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 14
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Finding tolerence in Christendom.. or nonsectarian educational institutions « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools