Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Yucc's Mock Draft Version 2.0 « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
: February 13, 2011, 07:12:17 AM

1. DE Aldon Smith - Would provide an explosiveness off the edge.

2. TE Kyle Rudolph - Pass catching tight end, that has upside, injury history a concern

3. LB Mason Foster - Linebacker that could potentially play all three spots

4. WR Cecil Shorts - Speed receiver, good hands, shows burst, good fluidity and balance

5. T Marcus Gilbert - Bigger tackle prospect, moves well for size can move the LOS

6. CB / S Jalil Brown - Corner safety tweener

7. G Ray Dominquez - Big guard that can play in space or in a phone booth solid pass protector developing run blocker

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#1 : February 13, 2011, 07:33:23 AM

yuccs - do you really think rudolph and foster will be there that late?   i could dig it if it happens.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Captain Hindsight

Hall of Famer

#2 : February 13, 2011, 07:36:39 AM

No way does Kyle Rudolph fall out of the 1st round. DJ Williams or Luke Stocker will probably be there though.

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#3 : February 13, 2011, 07:46:23 AM

Not a lot of teams need tight ends. Considering his injury history and weak class overall many have Rudolph failing into the the lower half of the second round.  Foster even though he has risen some many have him as a second to fourth round prospect at the moment.  The best thing about the draft and one that keeps so many interested is the unpredictability of it. Players no one expects to fall, fall and others seemingly rise way above what many thought. So to answer the question anything could and most likely will happen.

Captain Hindsight

Hall of Famer

#4 : February 13, 2011, 08:32:32 AM

There has been a TE taken in the 1st round for the past 11 consecutive years, I have a feeling the streak won't be snapped this year. Kyle Rudolph is the #1 TE, he'll be going in the 1st. If the TE streak is snapped, then he'll be swooped up way before pick number 50.

nitey

Hall of Famer
#5 : February 13, 2011, 08:38:49 AM

Yucc,

I understand the reason for the WR selection in the 4th, but I think we would be better served going back to the defensive line for another DE at this point. No idea who might be available here, but unless rosters get bigger with this CBA, this guy is probably inactive most of the season unless injury strikes. I'm going to assume that the Bucs will re-sign Spurlock so that gives us Williams, Benn, Briscoe, Spurlock and Stroughter active on game days and possibly only 5 WR on the roster total.

If both rosters and game day rosters expand with the new CBA, I would be okay with the selection though although, I still feel that WR is a luxary pick this year.

JMO.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

2goodbucs

Starter
#6 : February 13, 2011, 08:58:20 AM

Looks good!

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#7 : February 13, 2011, 09:01:01 AM

nitey - While I agree the team needs defensive ends. I think they give Freeman some new toys to further his development. Getting a player that can stretch the defense on the outside in Shorts and Rudolph on the inside in two tight ends sets with the ability to flex either him or Winslow out on heavy package looks, further opens the offense up. Allowing Olson more freedom within his scheme and in his play calling. Not to mention giving Freeman even greater chances of reaching the upper echelon or even elite status among quarterbacks. If the team is not going to force players on the roster because of needs and everything being with the continued development of Freeman in mind. The above draft accomplishes most if not all of those things.

JDog

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#8 : February 13, 2011, 09:09:34 AM

Strong draft, but I'd rather see Kerrigan with the first pick.

nitey

Hall of Famer
#9 : February 13, 2011, 09:38:15 AM

Yucc, I've no problem with the Rudolph pick although I don't think he'll be there by the time we pick in the 2nd and I don't dispute too strongly your logic for the wide receiver either. My concern is mostly centered about whether the player is active on game day or not. I don't see Shorts as active on game day unless he happens to push either Spurlock or Stroughter off or down the WR pecking order. If the guy sits the bench, he's of limited use and Olsen can't scheme for a player that's inactive.

This is another very important draft for us again this year and the top 4 or 5 picks need to be on the roster as active picks. I see Shorts more as a luxuary pick in this spot as we still have higher needs in DE, LB and OL.

Finally, the whole draft board will be effected if the FA period falls after the draft or before it. Assuming FA falls after, teams can't be sure that players that they covet in FA will be signed, so I see more of team's needs driving the draft a bit more than in the past. Teams taking best player available is a bit of a myth in my opinion. I still think teams draft mostly for need and only opt for BPA if that player was projected by the team to go so much higher that it would be foolish to pass on the player even if it's at a position where the team is mostly set.

So summing up my thoughts, I wouldn't be unhappy with this draft if it happened and frankly I really like the first 3 picks. However, I'm lukewarm on the next two as I don't see either position as a active gameday roster position.  With 4 linebackers unsigned (two of them starters) and such a big need better play on the defensive line, I really feel that we'll see multiple linebackers and defensive ends in this draft.

JMO.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#10 : February 13, 2011, 09:50:20 AM

nitey - Free agency after the draft will be a huge hurdle for all teams when figuring out how to go about filling needs. I also agree this draft could be fueled by needs due to the CBA uncertainty. Dominik has previously stated they will stay true to their respective draft board. Which could be an early hint that some unexpected things could be on the horizon when it concerns the draft.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#11 : February 13, 2011, 10:03:48 AM

yuccs - have you done enough research to compare rudolph, stocker, and kendricks?  anyone they compare favorably to?  they all seem to be around the same skill level but rudolph gets more of the national attention, kendricks the PR attention, and stocker is under the radar.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#12 : February 13, 2011, 10:10:28 AM

GameTime - This is a down year for tight ends. Rudolph is a borderline first round prospect. There is not much elite talent at the top of the tight end class, but there are several prospects that have good potential. 

Lombardi_Stacks

Starter
#13 : February 13, 2011, 10:20:14 AM

Hey Yucc, great mock, I don't dislike some choices but i'd argue them. I love the shorts pick, I've been saying a utility guy is needed to enhance the offense an special teams. I'd like to keep spurlock because of his QB experience, he adds that wildcat dimension ( tho we hardly use it I think we should try to fit it in more. ) to the O. You know I'm not big on aldon, but Jalil brown really sucks!!!! Surprised you gave him the nod, he got chewed up by Aj Green and many others in college, and was chewd all week of the senior bowl an the game. Rudolph looks stiff, I rather Kendricks. He fits in Tampa like a glove , an I won't be surprised if we find a way to nail him. All in all you've got the format, next to my own mock yours is next ( imo ).

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#14 : February 13, 2011, 10:25:33 AM

I think all this TE and WR talk lately is just smoke screen nonsense. I don't think there is a chance of us taking a TE or WR in the first four rounds. If we want a TE, free agency is the way to go. This draft is pitiful when it comes to TEs. Kyle Rudolph is the top guy this year and he'd have been a 3rd or 4th round pick in last years draft. Meanwhile you have 6 or 7 young stud TEs in free agency.

Also, Weslye Saunders is likely the best TE in this draft class, but he is ineligible due to not turning in his paperwork on time. He'll probably end up being in the supplemental draft and would be much better value.

I just don't buy it at all. We are going all defense and O-line in the first 4 rounds in my opinion.
: February 13, 2011, 10:27:36 AM JDouble

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Yucc's Mock Draft Version 2.0 « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools