Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Jerry Richardson insults players intelligence « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : February 13, 2011, 11:57:18 AM »

ProFootballTalk NBC Sports

Jay Feely: Jerry Richardson insults intelligence of players

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 13, 2011, 10:18 AM EST

Drew Brees and Peyton Manning are considered two of the smarter NFL quarterbacks alive.  Panthers owner Jerry Richardson reportedly still treated them like children in a CBA negotiating session last Saturday.

Speaking on the Michael Kay Show on ESPN Radio in New York, Cardinals kicker Jay Feely passed along a story from last week’s brief bargaining session in Dallas that Brees and Manning attended.

“Jerry Richardson . . . he’s going to criticize Peyton Manning and Drew Brees and their intelligence in our meeting Saturday?” Feely said.  “And sit there and say dismissively to Manning  ‘Do I need to help you read a revenue chart son?  Do I need to help break that down for you because I don’t know if you know how to read that?’”

We agree with Feely’s point: condescension isn’t going to help get a deal done.  Respect is necessary on both sides.

Richardson, who has taken a leadership position among the owners in the negotiation, has been called the “least flexible and most pessimistic” of the owners.

“Logical minds can sit there and come up with a deal, but once you bring up emotion, then you get in the way of logic,” Feely said.

The entire interview    http://cdn16.castfire.com/audio/303/2115/7281/510131/kay_2011-02-10-163531-3953-0-0-0.32.mp3?cdn_id=33&uuid=c0d11e192a6590b89b6d38f3ef6caaab   
is worth a listen, and Feely makes a cogent case on behalf of the players.  Our one small quibble is that continuing to publicly talk about the particulars of a negotiating session could get in the way of a deal too.
« : February 13, 2011, 12:02:03 PM michael89156 »

Garv

Hall of Famer
« #1 : February 13, 2011, 12:03:28 PM »

IMO it's clear the owners gave up too much in the last CBA and are trying to
correct it as is their option according to that very agreement.

I find the treatment of the fans by the owners and players "insulting" as well.
Like it matters at all. In the end it gets done and we all pay too much for a sport we
love.

We are all here because we are NOT all there.....
As always, GO BUCS!!!

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #2 : February 13, 2011, 12:14:45 PM »

Peyton should have told Jerry that is he needed a financial assistant he would hire Jerry's

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

SepeBucs

Hall of Famer

« #3 : February 13, 2011, 12:19:50 PM »

Like I (and many others) said, between now and when the deal gets done is when the most harsh words are going to be said. This time in 1982, Culverhouse was one of the most beloved owners by fans and players in the NFL. What happens and who says what can have long term effects. More than just the CBA itself. Richardson should take note of that.

Which response do we get this time? Butthurt? Needs medical treatment? Or the all time favorite, \"Drama Queen\"

nybuccguy

Pro Bowler
« #4 : February 13, 2011, 12:29:45 PM »

Peyton should have said: "My team isnt picking first in the draft are they? you need some help running a franchise son?"

This is just another reason to dislike the Pansies,

JC5100

Hall of Famer

« #5 : February 13, 2011, 12:58:17 PM »

The players need to keep calling out specific owners. They're starting to gain fans momentum against the owners.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

« #6 : February 13, 2011, 01:40:11 PM »

WR's have never had a great deal of respect for the intelligence of QBs.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #7 : February 13, 2011, 03:02:59 PM »

The players need to keep calling out specific owners. They're starting to gain fans momentum against the owners.

really? Hadn't noticed!!

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

bucjoe

Hall of Famer
« #8 : February 13, 2011, 03:06:08 PM »

Nor have I....

.....just my opinion

nubcake

Hall of Famer

« #9 : February 13, 2011, 03:13:40 PM »

Kind of ironic coming from the owner of the worst team in the NFL. When your franchise does worse than this year's Bills, that's saying something.

Garv

Hall of Famer
« #10 : February 13, 2011, 03:57:34 PM »

I don't think there's any evidence of strong support for the players among the fans.
I think most fans would give their eye tooth to play in the NFL. Well, we know it's a pipe dream
but.........
Anyway, most of us realize how much money is made and it's hard to garner much sympathy.
Hell, it's hard to pay for the damn tickets and to hear the complaining is a bit much.
The players need to take care of themselves as far as managing their money. If they do that most should
be set for life at retirement. This cannot be understated and it is a shame to read about those who have blown it.
But only the player can be responsible for their own investments IMO.

We are all here because we are NOT all there.....
As always, GO BUCS!!!

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #11 : February 13, 2011, 04:21:56 PM »

I doubt it. The only fans on the players side don't understand what the owners are asking for - and that might a shockingly high amount granted. If you hear the lies of the union about "lost salary" you'd think the players are being asked to take a pay cut. When what the owners are asking for is a decrease in the rate of growth of salaries. I'm not shedding a lot of tears because the cap is going to go from $125m to $137m rather than $142 next year. Players keep their same big honkin' salaries, they can get more next year than they had this year. The effect on 99% of the players over the course of their careers will be 0. This only affects guys who can get potentially cap busting deals so the Mannings and Peppers of the world might get $34m signing bonuses rather than $44m. Hell Smith is even backing away from a rookie cap.

The only place the owners are losing people is the 18 game schedule and as long as the players don't say "No" but say "No, unless you pay us" it takes away the safety angle that should be the core of the players' argument.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

bibfortuna

Second String
« #12 : February 13, 2011, 04:53:47 PM »

Though I'm in danger of anger (as a blue collar worker) clouding my judgment, i will chime in. I've avoided this topic until now.

When the rich fight the rich, they don't gain my sympathy or my ear for any of their publicity stunts. My feelings towards the game aren't going to be swayed by either of their 'arguments'.

Between the two rich parties, someone gains a little more and the other loses a little. But when we pay increased ticket prices or higher subscription fees for Directv, the fans just lose, period.

I do feel for the players on all rosters that take up spots 45 through 53 and who're out of the league in a year or two. Their lives and livelihood change. If the players gain some more pay, do you think these guys will see more of that money? I think any increased pay for the players, if it gets negotiated, will go to guys like Manning, Brees and the upper 20% of wage-earning football players. What on earth are these two doing in a CBA meeting anyway?? And that's like the worst way to ask the owners for more money.

Meh.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #13 : February 13, 2011, 05:59:56 PM »

Though I'm in danger of anger (as a blue collar worker) clouding my judgment, i will chime in. I've avoided this topic until now.

When the rich fight the rich, they don't gain my sympathy or my ear for any of their publicity stunts. My feelings towards the game aren't going to be swayed by either of their 'arguments'.

Between the two rich parties, someone gains a little more and the other loses a little. But when we pay increased ticket prices or higher subscription fees for Directv, the fans just lose, period.

I do feel for the players on all rosters that take up spots 45 through 53 and who're out of the league in a year or two. Their lives and livelihood change. If the players gain some more pay, do you think these guys will see more of that money? I think any increased pay for the players, if it gets negotiated, will go to guys like Manning, Brees and the upper 20% of wage-earning football players. What on earth are these two doing in a CBA meeting anyway?? And that's like the worst way to ask the owners for more money.

Meh.

Worst part of it is that by and large the top of the roster gets richer. 2001 the minimum wage was $285k, in 2010 it was $325k.  10 Years ago the highest per year was Drew Bledsoe breaking the $10m mark, now the top per year figures are in the $20m range and perhaps more once Peyton bends over the Colts and gets out the sandpaper condom. So the low rent types got $45k more while the top end have gone up more than $10m over the same time frame - even as a % the distance is growing.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Capt Kidd

Starter
« #14 : February 13, 2011, 06:45:37 PM »

Worst part of it is that by and large the top of the roster gets richer. 2001 the minimum wage was $285k, in 2010 it was $325k.  10 Years ago the highest per year was Drew Bledsoe breaking the $10m mark, now the top per year figures are in the $20m range and perhaps more once Peyton bends over the Colts and gets out the sandpaper condom. So the low rent types got $45k more while the top end have gone up more than $10m over the same time frame - even as a % the distance is growing.
[\quote]

It's the American way now days. The rich get richer while the working stiffs are told they just need to sacrifice a little bit more. As evidenced by the recent elections, the majority actually sympathize with the same mega rich who are pusing them down.  :o
« : February 13, 2011, 06:47:26 PM Capt Kidd »
  Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Jerry Richardson insults players intelligence « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools