Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Jerry Richardson insults players intelligence « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #30 : February 13, 2011, 10:31:51 PM »

In the end the players have no leverage. The NFL and the owners will still make loads of money during the lockout. The players will be making no money and have no health care. Eventually the players will start fighting amongst themselves and crumble. The owners know this. The only question is how long will it take? Probably a few weeks into next season. We'll see, because the NFL and owners have no intentions of giving the players what they want.

This has been my thinkin all along. I read Peppers will miss $670k per week. No way he takes that lying down.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #31 : February 14, 2011, 03:31:23 AM »

There is so much money there, you would think they could come up with some kind of compromise?  C'mon guys, dont screw the fans.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« #32 : February 14, 2011, 01:44:24 PM »

Update:

Report says Richardson was rude to Manning, Brees

Panthers owner taking a hard line

Source:    NFP   Aaron Wilson
February 14, 2011, 01:07 PM EST

More information has surfaced about the reportedly high-handed treatment from Carolina Panthers owner Jerry Richardson toward star quarterbacks Peyton Manning and Drew Brees during a recent bargaining session with the players' union.

First, Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely disclosed the following information during an ESPN Radio appearance on the Michael Kay show:

“Jerry Richardson, he’s going to criticize Peyton Manning and Drew Brees and their intelligence in our meeting Saturday? And sit there and say dismissively to Manning, ‘Do I need to help you read a revenue chart, son? Do I need to help break that down for you because I don’t know if you understand how to read that?’ That doesn't help us get a deal done."

And now Yahoo! Sports is reporting, citing three league sources, that Richardson was disrespectful to the quarterbacks.

“[Richardson] was extremely condescending to them, especially toward Peyton,” a source said. “[Richardson] was the only person on either side who was contentious. Everybody else was respectful. They might have said, ‘I disagree with your point,’ but at least they were respectful. [Richardson] was not.”

Per the report, Richardson spoke sarcastically when Manning was discussing players' safety.

"What do you know about player safety?” Richardson reportedly said.

However, the league has disputed the characterization of the exchange.

“Mr. Richardson is a former player and made clear his respect and affection for the players during the meeting,” the source said.

Richardson is regarded as a hard-liner when it comes to talks, vowing to "take back our league."

“We signed a [expletive] deal last time and we’re going to stick together and take back our league and [expletive] do something about it,” Richardson reportedly said, according to Yahoo! Sports.

None of it sounds conducive to getting a deal done

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
« #33 : February 14, 2011, 02:49:24 PM »

No one has affirmed what question Payton asked and at what point in time, in discussing the specific topic. Maybe he just didn't understand. He's not an accountant.

Florio has made it abundantly clear, to me, that he is heavily on the players side. So I take any of his writings about the CBA, with a grain of salt. Anything he can write to put down the owners, he seems to relish.

So now I just read the two lines or so about the topic and move to the next topic.

Don't know of any other union, that a non member, can be president.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

« #34 : February 14, 2011, 02:58:59 PM »

No one has affirmed what question Payton asked and at what point in time, in discussing the specific topic. Maybe he just didn't understand. He's not an accountant.

Florio has made it abundantly clear, to me, that he is heavily on the players side. So I take any of his writings about the CBA, with a grain of salt. Anything he can write to put down the owners, he seems to relish.

So now I just read the two lines or so about the topic and move to the next topic.

Don't know of any other union, that a non member, can be president.

That very well may be, Unc, but I think the sticky point is the fact that Richardson condescendingly referred to Manning as "son". I could picture Richardson doing that. He's got that Foghorn Leghorn mannerism about him that can put people off.

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
« #35 : February 14, 2011, 05:42:50 PM »

You mean like Jack Nicholson in A Few Good Men?

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

« #36 : February 15, 2011, 05:01:50 AM »

Jerry Richardson talking to Peyton Manning:

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

« #37 : February 15, 2011, 06:50:04 AM »

Worst part of it is that by and large the top of the roster gets richer. 2001 the minimum wage was $285k, in 2010 it was $325k.  10 Years ago the highest per year was Drew Bledsoe breaking the $10m mark, now the top per year figures are in the $20m range and perhaps more once Peyton bends over the Colts and gets out the sandpaper condom. So the low rent types got $45k more while the top end have gone up more than $10m over the same time frame - even as a % the distance is growing.
[\quote]

It's the American way now days. The rich get richer while the working stiffs are told they just need to sacrifice a little bit more. As evidenced by the recent elections, the majority actually sympathize with the same mega rich who are pusing them down.  :o

umm, so you would rather watch Reinholdt Shreft get another million - while cutting Peyton's pay? Yeah - that'll pack 'em into the ol' stadium!

From what I can see - Peyton may be a really smart QB - but as far reading a profit sheet, he really does begin to resemble his alter ego from those inane TV commercials he does...(hmm....which brings me to another point, do the owners get to acquire any of a players individual/commercial contract money? No, well...that seems a bit odd...),

Prices are going up, costs are going up, meanwhile business is drying up - for the owners and their fans - citizen/fans have either endured losing a job, or losing some income, meanwhile the players union has run out of caviar...and by gosh somebody needs to change out the filter in the Perrier fountain - some of the players manicures aren't holding up like they used to...

No - you can't make a case with me that the players should bear some of the financial losses from one of the worst economies in history. Do the players think they are insulated from losing similar amounts of money at the same rate the owners and the fans are - when revenue was going up, the players wanted a" fairer" cut - well, now that the revenue columns are in the red (Peyton can be forgiven, he doesn't know what red ink signifies, he's never actually been without money), it's time everyone share in the misery!

I don't think Jerry Richardson insluted anyones intelligence - I think when your yard workers show up for a payraise on the same day you found out your salary was reduced in order to keep you and your co-workers employed - and you tell those lawnworkers that you're going to have to start cutting expenses - you probably wouldn't take to kindly to your yard workers asking you to show them your checkbook...just to make sure you aren't cheating them out of their salary!

You guys blow me away sometimes.

I have a message for the players: SIGN THE FREAKING CBA, (or stay their 'til it gets signed by your AGENTS) AND GET BACK TO WORK!! WHAT ELSE DO YOU THINK YOU'RE QUALIFIED TO DO?
« : February 15, 2011, 06:56:37 AM The White Tiger »

Incomparable sig by Incognito

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
« #38 : February 15, 2011, 08:03:19 AM »

Drew Brees was at the same meeting and didn't think Richardson was disrespectful.

Just proves PFT has an agenda.

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

« #39 : February 15, 2011, 08:16:53 AM »

Drew Brees was at the same meeting and didn't think Richardson was disrespectful.

Just proves PFT has an agenda.

First I heard of it was Jay Feely on the radio talking about it, after all he was in the room. Ohh and yes while the lockout is happening the Owners will make money off those TV contracts but if any games are missed the owners will be paying that money back plus interest. Plus, don't think for a second that if the lockout goes too long or does take part of the season that it won't hurt the owners in the long run with the fans. It happened to baseball and it can happen to the NFL. Also it seems like players have been preparing for this for 2 years. I am mostly siding with the players on this one, especially due tot he large tax breaks the owners get and especially the case here in KC where the owner got the tax payers to pay for his stadium upgrades so he could put in more luxury boxes (which the players get none of the revenue from) while he lives in Dallas Texas.

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

« #40 : February 15, 2011, 08:19:20 AM »

Ohh and the Chiefs laid off around 50 people a couple of weeks ago including their longtime PR man. So believe me the owners will still be getting their profits.

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« #41 : February 15, 2011, 11:35:10 AM »

Michael Silver adds more details to the Richardson-Manning incident

Source:   PFT  NBC Sports
Posted by Mike Florio on February 15, 2011, 9:09 AM EST

When we last addressed the reports that Panthers owner Jerry Richardson disrespected Colts quarterback Peyton Manning and/or Saints quarterback Drew Brees during a day-before-the-Super-Bowl bargaining session, the firestorm seemed to have quieted.

Brees took the high road when given a chance to address the matter, prompting some to conclude (incorrectly,  we believe) that the situation was embellished at best, fabricated at worst.

Enter Michael Silver of Yahoo! Sports, a veteran and respected journalist who previously covered the NFL for Sports Illustrated.  Silver brings the incident to life with specific details that paint a dark picture about the status of the current relationship between two entities who should be acting like partners but who are acting like mortal enemies.

“It was bad from the start,” one player who attended the session told Silver. “[Richardson] opened the meeting by describing how he was almost annoyed how we would ask for that meeting on their busiest weekend of the year. And I’m thinking, ‘Your team finished 2-14.  You shouldn’t be that busy.  Why are you worrying about how busy you are during Super Bowl weekend?’

Um.  Zing.

Then, after Manning questioned the league’s desire to take another $1 billion annually off the top of all revenues (currently, the league already claims the first billion per year before carving up the rest of the pie on essentially a 60-40 basis, with the bigger cut going to the players), Richardson became “agitated,” per Silver.

“He was condescending to Peyton,” a player who was at the meeting told Silver.  (It’s unclear whether it was the same player quoted above or a different one.)  “He tried to talk about P&L [profit and loss] statements and all these other risks that the owners assume, as if Peyton didn’t know anything.  Drew interrupted and said, ‘All we’re doing is just asking you to show us your books.  We want to negotiate in good faith.’”

Another player who was present told Silver, “We were so pissed. Peyton was breathing heavily, and some of us were about ready to jump across the table.”

Then former player Sean Morey, apparently trying to change the subject, began to talk about player injuries and the short duration of careers.  It’s a topic near and dear to Morey, given that concussions forced him from the game.  Still, Richardson, per Silver, gave a biting reply.

“You guys made so much [expletive] money – if you played three years in the NFL, you should own your own [expletive] team,” Richardson reportedly said.

Silver reports that other owners and Commissioner Roger Goodell “became visibly uncomfortable” after the remark.  Following a short break, several owners (including, per Silver, Robert Kraft of the Patriots, John Mara of the Giants, and Clark Hunt of the Chiefs) reportedly apologized to the players in the room.  One player who attended the session said that Richardson also apologized to Manning.

We’ll refer you to the rest of Silver’s hybrid reporting-commentary, which is well worth a close read.

In our view, it’s impossible to reconstruct with precision the events that occurred during the meeting, simply because the reality of human perception and recollection introduces flaws, gaps, and errors even if everyone is telling what they believe to be the truth.  It’s clear, however, that something ugly that way went on February 4, and it would be in the best interests of the process for Richardson to not be involved in the negotiating sessions.

The problem is that this quickly would devolve into a game of Red Rover, with the league wanting the union to send, say, Jeffrey Kessler home, and then the NFLPA asking the owners to park Jeff Pash.  This tit-for-tat process potentially would continue until only Roger Goodell and De Smith are the only ones left in the room.

And, frankly, that may be the only way at this point to get a deal done

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

« #42 : February 15, 2011, 01:33:42 PM »

OK, that story only drives home my point.

The players have a union, the players have agents, the stars of the league are given enormouse amounts of cash (especially Peyton)

The owners pay all the bills, take the financial burden, invest capital, commit to marketing campaigns, are not allowed to organize to better negotiate (that would be collusion) - and have watched their networth plummet, revenue has dropped significantly, and what do you bet the advertising money has become MUCH tighter for companies seeking to use the NFL/team branding to sell products (i.e., the next television contract WON'T be for MORE money)....meanwhile the players complain of the audacity of the owners for even BRINGING UP the realities of lost revenue and the impact that SHOULD have on player salaries!!

I don't trust ANY "journalists" to be non-biased. They MUST take the players side in ANY dispute with ownership - or they don't get interviews, later. Nobody cares what an NFL owner has to say during the season - that's an easy interview. When you depend on the people you report on for your livelihood - you lose ALL objectivity.

Plus - the players have no way to gain the moral high ground in this dispute. The economy is BAD, fans are losing their jobs or getting their pay cut, they're losing their homes, in debt, and have lost their retirment. There is simply NO sympathy from the public for a group of guys that were already percieved as having TOO much money and TOO much time...heck, the NEW millionaires refuse to allocate any additional money to the former players pension funds - for former stars who played PRIOR to free agency.

Nope sorry - the players are only dragging out the inevitable, wasting time, and making us all realize they are PLAYING A GAME FOR HIGH WAGES.

Loss of moral high ground = bargaining from a weak position. It means your side is losing. Unfortunately for the players their union leader has told them that instead of signing a deal - they need to find a way to sieze SOME moral high ground in order to leverage (think crow-bar) a better deal - hence, the FAKE outrage over a millionaire owner "condescending" to a millionaire player. Give me a break.

Shut up and sign the deal - the owners have a point. When times were good they gave you the keys to the store - we ALL saw it - now, times are BAD - and it's time the players acknowledged they are responsible to assist with the financial burden.

The moral equivalent stands: You've just come from a meeting where your boss cut your salary - and your lawncare guys meet you in the driveway announcing a pay increase. You tell them you may have to make some cut-backs in expenditures - and they reply they want to see your check book...

It just isn't right.

Players lose.
« : February 15, 2011, 01:41:48 PM The White Tiger »

Incomparable sig by Incognito

SepeBucs

Hall of Famer

« #43 : February 15, 2011, 01:40:33 PM »

have watched their networth plummet, revenue has dropped significantly, and what do you bet the advertising money has become MUCH tighter for companies seeking to use the NFL/team branding to sell products (i.e., the next television contract WON'T be for MORE money).

Link? I thought revenue and value and net worth were increasing. I mean that is what I have seen thrown out by certain Glazer leg humpers. Profits up! Team value doubled! Net worth breaks a Billion dollars! best year ever, bla bla bla.  Who's right?

Which response do we get this time? Butthurt? Needs medical treatment? Or the all time favorite, \"Drama Queen\"

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

« #44 : February 15, 2011, 08:29:05 PM »

OK, that story only drives home my point.

The players have a union, the players have agents, the stars of the league are given enormouse amounts of cash (especially Peyton)

The owners pay all the bills, take the financial burden, invest capital, commit to marketing campaigns, are not allowed to organize to better negotiate (that would be collusion) - and have watched their networth plummet, revenue has dropped significantly, and what do you bet the advertising money has become MUCH tighter for companies seeking to use the NFL/team branding to sell products (i.e., the next television contract WON'T be for MORE money)....meanwhile the players complain of the audacity of the owners for even BRINGING UP the realities of lost revenue and the impact that SHOULD have on player salaries!!

It's not like they are manufacturing widgets and asking the factory employees to take a pay cut. The NFL IS the players and what they do on the field. The question is how much are the owners going to be allowed to profit off of these guys. NO players, no stars = no huge tv revenue and no huge licensing fees and no fans in the stadiums.
  Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Jerry Richardson insults players intelligence « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools