Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: if Driskel pans out we're BCS Title bound « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#30 : March 14, 2011, 04:10:09 PM

I thought one of the reasons derrick brooks chose fsu is because bowden told him he could play safety?  Or am I just confusing him with anquan boldin?

And why do you think Weis did not last long in KC?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Runole

Hall of Famer
#31 : March 15, 2011, 01:11:59 PM

I thought one of the reasons derrick brooks chose fsu is because bowden told him he could play safety?  Or am I just confusing him with anquan boldin?

Brooks may have been listed as a Safety by recruiting services but there was nothing said by Bowden that he could or should play safety that I am aware. Bowden was always a head coach that gave players choices at positions they desired.  If Brooks wanted to play safety he would have.
I can readily understand Bobby asking Brooks what position he wished to play. That was one of the strengths he had as a recruiter. He didn't lie to recruits.

From my understanding Brooks  wanted to play linebacker.  As to Boldin even though he was a quarterback in high school, Boldin decided he wanted to be a WR  rather than a QB considering Chris Weinke was the starting QB in both 1999 and 2000.

He was listed as number #1 player in football and certainly could have played QB but he wanted to see the field anyway possible and he wasn't going to beat out Weinke. If my memory serves  when Rix started as RS Freshman in the Spring, Boldin played a little QB but decided after 2 years at WR that being a wide out was his best position.

Though he did play a little QB at FSU  due QB problems at FSU there was no doubt that  WR was his strength. The fact that there is no doubt that being ALL PROS at LB and WR clearly Bowden, Brooks, and Boldin all made the right choices.

And why do you think Weis did not last long in KC?

From what I have read there was a personality conflict between Weis and the head coach.  KC's offense improved under Weis from what I understand.  Again from what I understand Weis is pretty much an arrogant A hole taking far too much credit for Tom Brady.  His stay at Notre Dame certainly was unimpressive. I realize that to the public Charlie and Haley are like Cookies and Cream but count me among those that doesn't buy the BS.  Haley has been an offensive coordinator just like Charlie.  If I remember correctly Haley also had problems at Arizona so it is not unreasonable to state Weis and Haley didn't get along.  That doesn't change the fact that I think Weis is a arrogant A-hole.

Again perhaps Muschamp will put total trust in Charlie and stay out of his way and never question any decision he makes.  If that is the case Charlie should do fine at UF.  All depends on how much authority Muschamp gives Weis and how much he is willing to take orders from Charlie.

JMO but I can't imagine Weis taking much in the way of advice or instruction from Muschamp.  With his son also being on the staff as a student assistant you have to wonder how that will play out.  Will his son get special privileges that other student assistants don't receive?   Could be interesting.  Nepotism certainly in play.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#32 : March 15, 2011, 01:23:56 PM

here's a little more to help learn about weis.  its from his first PC and tells about why UF and him and muschamp.  also, a couple of tweets from matt hayes, think he is with the sporting news.

Matt_HayesSN: spent some time with Charlie Weis. Says he van see himself retiring in Gainesville. Not looking for the next gig.

@Matt_HayesSN
Matt Hayes
Weis: "Im not the head coach, and Im not the head coach in waiting. Its a good situation for me being there/for Will (Muschamp)."

: March 15, 2011, 01:30:43 PM GameTime

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#33 : March 15, 2011, 01:42:00 PM

You just don't get it, GameTime. IT'S NOT GOING TO WORK!!!! End of discussion.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#34 : March 15, 2011, 04:13:05 PM

Charlie also says he is responsible for why Tom Brady is as good as he is today.   

Personally, I am not stating whether it will or won't work. I just think in general when you have been a head coach and now serve under someone that has never been a head coach problems can arise.

Perhaps Charlie is only interested in how many donuts he can get at , during, and after practice and will leave the head coaching and decision making to Muschamp.

I think I did hear something about him raising horses in Ocala from the video.

Hard to understand him in the video, but since Gametime posted it I assume it said that he thought Brantley was 10 time the  qb that Brady is, and UF will win the MNC next season, and will never lose another game. :D

That about cover it for the  "FEEL REAL GOOD" 7-5 orange and blue boys?  oh and 31-7  For the " NOT SO FEEL REAL GOOD"    :P

Speaking of "truth" tellers...Has Corch Urbie left  the building to live at ESPN so he can be closer to his girls? ;)

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#35 : March 15, 2011, 04:26:57 PM

Personally, I am not stating whether it will or won't work. I just think in general when you have been a head coach and now serve under someone that has never been a head coach problems can arise.

such as steve logan and raheem morris?

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#36 : March 15, 2011, 04:48:50 PM

here is a written piece that might be easier to understand, it should help to allay your fears...this goes into more depth about your questions.  its a good read for all.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andy_staples/03/15/charlie-weis-florida/index.html?eref=sihp

Runole

Hall of Famer
#37 : March 15, 2011, 08:49:12 PM

here is a written piece that might be easier to understand, it should help to allay your fears...this goes into more depth about your questions.  its a good read for all.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andy_staples/03/15/charlie-weis-florida/index.html?eref=sihp

Very nice fluff pieces by gator writer Staples and of course Matt Hayes above.    Weis might be as mellow yellow as a banana at the moment but there is a definite pressure evident among meddling orange and blue boosters that ole Charlie hasn't felt yet.  It is the reason Stevie jumped ship and it certainly drove Mr Cuckoo for coconuts Meyer off the deep end.

Ok Charlie pass me another piece of that Pecan Pie... another glass of milk please!   Ain't life just great?  Oooh Smell the horsey!

Reading between the lines it sounds like Charlie indeed moved to Florida to retire and relax on the old hammock under the live oak and take in the Summer breeze!

Football?   Geesh! do I have to?   

I can just see charlie running ( waddling) from school to school  visiting recruits in the heat of May.   Can' t wait until the brutal summer heat and humidity hits ole Charlie.

He will be thinking about that hammock and a Mint Julep throughout practice.

Raheem Morris and Steve Logan?   After seeing Raheem do a great job in hiring his OC and DC that didn't even finish the year, I think my point is made loud and clear.  Thanks for reminding me of a very good example  of a young head coach instructing older coaches and what can happen.
: March 15, 2011, 08:51:03 PM Runole

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#38 : March 15, 2011, 09:10:33 PM

does any of that even merit a response?  one thing that does amaze me, is how many writers are out there just to fluff UF.  im also gonna go out on a limb and predict your opinions of dominik/morris are just as accurate as your opinion of weis.
: March 15, 2011, 09:19:30 PM GameTime

Runole

Hall of Famer
#39 : March 15, 2011, 09:39:35 PM

does any of that even merit a response?  one thing that does amaze me, is how many writers are out there just to fluff UF.  im also gonna go out on a limb and predict your opinions of dominik/morris are just as accurate as your opinion of weis.

How long have you lived in Florida GameTime? 

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#40 : March 15, 2011, 10:18:58 PM

147 years.  if you want to chat about the history of Florida, start a thread in the Cove.  im here for the football talk.
: March 15, 2011, 10:29:29 PM GameTime

Runole

Hall of Famer
#41 : March 15, 2011, 10:30:05 PM

147 years.

Thanks for proving my point.   and you question my credibility? :D

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#42 : March 16, 2011, 07:16:06 AM

runole, lets be honest here, you dont have a point. 

Runole

Hall of Famer
#43 : March 16, 2011, 10:39:41 AM

runole, lets be honest here, you dont have a point.

Lets be honest you can't even be honest enough to state how long you have lived in the area or Florida.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#44 : March 16, 2011, 12:27:44 PM

does any of that even merit a response?

Sure.  The same response that almost every one of the kooky old fool's posts merit: a hearty chuckle.

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: if Driskel pans out we're BCS Title bound « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools