Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Iowa wrestling standout refuses to face girl « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#30 : February 21, 2011, 05:17:34 PM

Why are 5ft 10 males generally faster than 5ft 10 females?

Narrower hips conducive to running. An advantage in wrestling?

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#31 : February 21, 2011, 05:21:47 PM

I don't see any problem with co-ed participation.  If the girl wants to compete, let her. 

TheAman

Hall of Famer
#32 : February 21, 2011, 05:23:05 PM

Believe me, very few 5'0 100 pound kids are worrying about hurting girls.  These aren't the 160 pounders who are picking up guys and slamming them down for takedowns.  Wrestling at that weight class is pure technique, and girls can compete, though they usually don't win states.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#33 : February 21, 2011, 05:47:15 PM

Why are 5ft 10 males generally faster than 5ft 10 females?

Narrower hips conducive to running. An advantage in wrestling?

I am not an expert on wresting, but it is a violent sport. Men have a higher propensity to gravitate to violent activities because they are more, well, violent.

Martial arts are a very technique driven activity, but if I spin kick you in the back of the head it's going to knock you out because the technique is to deliver the maximum amount of violence on your body. You talk about wrestling being very technical, but just like martial arts, the technique is to deliver a violent move.

Coburn1

Starter

#34 : February 21, 2011, 06:59:00 PM

I would contend that the prospect of losing to a female would provide added incentive to win.

I would concede that is a valid motivator in the opposite direction. It really comes down to priorities I suppose. Which is more shameful? To lose to a girl or to win but at what potential cost? What really comes into play in all likelihood is how much the individual cares about other people's opinions versus personal conviction and security in self? Do you feel you have to prove yourself to everyone? Personally I would rather go half speed and risk losing, feeling I had done the right thing and of course knowing if I really wanted to I could have won. I guess it's hard to relate in this area though, I was always one of the biggest guys in school and I don't think there would have been any doubt if a girl slipped a tackle in football or I seemed to have difficulty in wrestling them or something simliar, that I was being easy on them. I can see how small guys may not get the benefit of the doubt and in my experience guys with smaller stature also feel they have more to prove. It seems obvious that this kid with his track record most likely would have defeated her though if he hadn't had mercy. In this case I think he was secure enough that he could lose a bit of face, put his pride aside and allow his reputation to be tarnished a bit in public eye, knowing that he most likely could have defeated her if he wanted to.

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#35 : February 21, 2011, 07:08:15 PM

I would say that I have a high enough opinion of women to let them make their own choices, and view them as being capable of handling the consequences of those decisions.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

TheAman

Hall of Famer
#36 : February 21, 2011, 07:16:47 PM

The problem is the mercy thing.  This isn't professional wrestling where you're punching, kicking, or even suplexing.  The odds of someone getting injured because of something that you actually do, as opposed to simply a rolled ankle or something, is fairly small, especially if the person is conditioned properly.  The most violent move that usually happens in the smaller weight classes is a fireman's carry.  Other than that, it's typically a single or double-leg takedown and then mat wrestling, as opposed to the higher weight classes where you do see people get lifted up and slammed.  I can't remember the last 103/112 pound match I saw that I even mildly cringed.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#37 : February 21, 2011, 07:17:36 PM

Just to clarify, I'm not in support of co-ed wrestling. But I'm not seeing a physiological reason why a 150 lb. man with ten percent body fat would be stronger than a 150 lb. woman with ten percent body fat.

differences in center of mass/gravity. And males usually have much greater upper body strength than equal weight females. I know two skeletons the same height can be easily differentiated and the frame that muscle and fat is on has to make a difference.

Just SIPOMA, but I'd guess that the lower the weight division, the more equal they'd be. A <110lb male or female wrestler would be a lot more closely matched than a male and a female between 150-160.

Mean D

Pro Bowler

#38 : February 22, 2011, 08:02:53 AM

My son's team and coaches" gave him a standing ovation.

Mr. Milich

Hall of Famer
#39 : February 23, 2011, 01:42:41 AM

This young man's parents are teaching their son that when adversity comes along he should pack up his stuff and head for the door. The kid made a commitment to his team & his school and if he can't keep his word he has no place on the team. Either he wants to wrestle or he doesn't. He is taking up a slot on the team that could otherwise be occupied by someone that is willing to give 100%.  Just because he doesn't feel philosophically comfortable w/ something that does not give him the right to forgo his obligation.

The kid quit, which makes him a quitter. What if a woman broke into his family's home and brandished a gun? Do you really think he would have the luxury of pampering himself w/ the complexity of his religious morality? No. He would defend his home. 

Maybe, it's not that complicated and it just boils down to the kid and his family not being able to handle the thought of losing to a girl?

Either way he quit. Which makes him a quitter.

You better hope you don't find yourself next to this kid in a foxhole someday.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#40 : February 23, 2011, 06:35:07 AM

This young man's parents are teaching their son that when adversity comes along he should pack up his stuff and head for the door. The kid made a commitment to his team & his school and if he can't keep his word he has no place on the team. Either he wants to wrestle or he doesn't. He is taking up a slot on the team that could otherwise be occupied by someone that is willing to give 100%.  Just because he doesn't feel philosophically comfortable w/ something that does not give him the right to forgo his obligation.

The kid quit, which makes him a quitter. What if a woman broke into his family's home and brandished a gun? Do you really think he would have the luxury of pampering himself w/ the complexity of his religious morality? No. He would defend his home. 

Maybe, it's not that complicated and it just boils down to the kid and his family not being able to handle the thought of losing to a girl?

real easy to compare a high school sport to life, liberty and war, huh? 

this kid would have wiped the floor with that girl.  his team knew what he would do if matched against a girl.  and not give 100%?  you must not know iowa wrestling.  this wasnt adversity...i assume he gave up his dreams because of his morals...i got nothing but praise for the guy.  its just a shame he was put in that situation.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

kevabuc

Hall of Famer

#41 : February 23, 2011, 10:24:13 AM

This young man's parents are teaching their son that when adversity comes along he should pack up his stuff and head for the door.

So you are saying that this kid shows all the attributes and character to become a future Wisconsin Democratic legislator?

\"The budget should be balanced; the treasury should be refilled; public debt should be reduced; and the arrogance of public officials should be controlled.\" -Cicero. 106-43 B.C.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#42 : February 23, 2011, 10:42:27 AM

lol

spartan

Hall of Famer
#43 : February 23, 2011, 11:35:03 AM

Or they taught him to do what he thinks is right, regardless of what others may think or say. Moral fortitude is much lacking in this day and age.

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

#44 : February 23, 2011, 01:33:41 PM

Or they taught him to do what he thinks is right, regardless of what others may think or say. Moral fortitude is much lacking in this day and age.
No crap .... I'd sure prefer this kid in my foxhole to some pseudo-Rambo type trying to equate this to defending your home or your country
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Iowa wrestling standout refuses to face girl « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools