Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFP: Kerrigan is a "blah" athlete « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 11

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#15 : February 18, 2011, 03:03:44 PM

Would rather him or any player be a football player rather then an athlete
Then consider him a round two option. Because the best athletes go in the first 32 picks.

Only in a world where all 32 teams are the Raiders. In reality many teams are smart enough not to be fooled into thinking every player has to be a prototypical athlete, and instead focus on how they actually play football.
Typical casual fan comment.  Can you name me one player in the FIRST round in 2010 drat class that wasn't a good athlete? Regarding SKILL position players anyway.

I know the amount.....ZERO

*checks 09 draft*
Found another answer.....ZERO

How about 2008? ZERO
2007? ZERO.

I suppose I am too casual, then. I am also glad that you aren't in charge of the team.
Great cop-out dude. I'm still awaiting my answer for guys that were "blah" athletes that were taken in the FIRST round. The answer is none and you and I both know that. He's a good player but good athlete? Absolutely not. The combine will expose him and it should drop his stock.

I mean in reality that's just how the game works in the NFL. The best athletes will be coveted the blah athletes will be avoided, AT skill position players.

jeanclaud

Starter

#16 : February 18, 2011, 03:35:19 PM

Great cop-out dude. I'm still awaiting my answer for guys that were "blah" athletes that were taken in the FIRST round. The answer is none and you and I both know that. He's a good player but good athlete? Absolutely not. The combine will expose him and it should drop his stock.

I mean in reality that's just how the game works in the NFL. The best athletes will be coveted the blah athletes will be avoided, AT skill position players.

I appreciate the use of the highly technical and precise term "blah" athlete.

The combine hasn't happened yet. We have no idea what kind of numbers Kerrigan will put up. Based on his physique at the Senior Bowl, the guy obviously has no problem hitting the gym. IF he flops at the combine, then you can declare him whatever you like with some kind of credibility.

As they say, however, the tape don't lie, and the tape on Kerrigan is damn good. Hope he falls to us.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#17 : February 18, 2011, 03:39:10 PM

You're the only person on earth that refers to positions on the defensive line as "skill positions". 

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#18 : February 18, 2011, 03:48:13 PM

I appreciate the use of the highly technical and precise term "blah" athlete.

The combine hasn't happened yet. We have no idea what kind of numbers Kerrigan will put up. Based on his physique at the Senior Bowl, the guy obviously has no problem hitting the gym. IF he flops at the combine, then you can declare him whatever you like with some kind of credibility.

As they say, however, the tape don't lie, and the tape on Kerrigan is damn good. Hope he falls to us.
Blah athlete - decent athlete nothing special as an athlete. Didn't think it'd be too hard to put that together.

I can declare him a blah athlete if i PLEASE. Yeah you said it yourself the tape doesn't lie he doesn't show good athletic ability and come combine the 40 time, shuttle run, etc will expose the FILM.... He's an ox though so he'll do good at the bench press station.

: February 18, 2011, 03:54:12 PM Detrimental

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#19 : February 18, 2011, 03:52:25 PM

You're the only person on earth that refers to positions on the defensive line as "skill positions".
I said DEFENSIVE END is a skill position not DLINE in general. And I say that b/c sometimes their asked to play LINEBACKER like responsibilities.

Julius Peppers for example is NOT the average DE. The Bears used him ALL over the place and is the reason why Vick was shutdown. Peppers spied on Vick and the whole running around operation was shut down.

tbb345

Starter
#20 : February 18, 2011, 04:59:30 PM

I would rather take Houston or Smith ahead of Kerrigan at this point. Although any of the 3 would look great in a Bucs uni

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#21 : February 18, 2011, 05:05:13 PM

I've watched him play a lot. Kerrigan will be a good DE, the way he plays the game fits his athletic ability.

This.

His stock has slowly fallen every week for about a month now, and according to many draft sites he'll definitely be there at 20. I've watched him play enough that my opinion isn't going to change no matter what the "professionals" say. He probably doesn't have the athleticism to be an OLB, but he is one helluva football player and he's going to be a very solid DE in the NFL. He might end up being a LE instead of a RE, but either way he will be disruptive.

Nicodemus

Pro Bowler

#22 : February 18, 2011, 06:00:43 PM

The "experts" get it wrong all the time, last year they all though Alualu was a second round pick at best and a bit "blah" then they were all left scratching thier heads and wondering why Jacksonville picked him with the 10th pick. Kerrigan has had the most important thing of all, consistent production. Currently we have no true LDE or RDE on our squad, so with that said if we pick Kerrigan at 20 and he pans out to be a very good LDE then we still fill a position that could do with an upgrade.

Until draft day happens and we see who goes at the top and who is close to us when we pick then all the mocks, and all the whining over which player is better, means squat. The horrible and glaring fact is we need a good RDE as well as a good LDE, so if we can get a good player to fill either spot in the first round then we are a better team.

bashear

Hall of Famer

#23 : February 18, 2011, 11:14:37 PM

The "experts" get it wrong all the time, last year they all though Alualu was a second round pick at best and a bit "blah" then they were all left scratching thier heads and wondering why Jacksonville picked him with the 10th pick. Kerrigan has had the most important thing of all, consistent production. Currently we have no true LDE or RDE on our squad, so with that said if we pick Kerrigan at 20 and he pans out to be a very good LDE then we still fill a position that could do with an upgrade.

Until draft day happens and we see who goes at the top and who is close to us when we pick then all the mocks, and all the whining over which player is better, means squat. The horrible and glaring fact is we need a good RDE as well as a good LDE, so if we can get a good player to fill either spot in the first round then we are a better team.
Yes, we have to remember that the experts we get to listen to are media experts. Real scouting departments may have different takes on the same player. I remember a real scout, now with the Eagles, saying that, in general, media mocks can be way off on some players. Of course, the scout also said that if, as a scout, you hit on 60% of the players, you're doing pretty well. There will be some players dropping in the draft that befuddle the media mocksters, but not the real scouts. Same thing for draft risers on draft day.

All this draft talk makes me anxious for the draft days.

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#24 : February 18, 2011, 11:52:27 PM

If he doesn't run a 4.4 40 time, we shouldn't draft him :oblivious:

PassThePigSkin

Hall of Famer

#25 : February 19, 2011, 12:11:25 AM

I've watched him play a lot. Kerrigan will be a good DE, the way he plays the game fits his athletic ability.

This.

His stock has slowly fallen every week for about a month now, and according to many draft sites he'll definitely be there at 20. I've watched him play enough that my opinion isn't going to change no matter what the "professionals" say. He probably doesn't have the athleticism to be an OLB, but he is one helluva football player and he's going to be a very solid DE in the NFL. He might end up being a LE instead of a RE, but either way he will be disruptive.

I hope he falls to TB let his stock keep falling.

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#26 : February 19, 2011, 01:31:17 AM

Kerrigan's cieling is somewhere between where Chris Long is right now and the peak of Aaron Kampan's career. Not because they're all white. Because they're all DE's who use technique and motor more than athleticism. Kerrigan is going to need a couple years to figure out the NFL before he can be effective, in my opinion.

tbb345

Starter
#27 : February 19, 2011, 01:41:39 AM

When it comes to Kerrigan I am afraid that he has already maxed out his abilities. I think because of his attitude, work ethic, and love of football I think he will always be a rotational player (at least), and put up anywhere from 5-8 sacks per year.
While Houston and Smith have lower floors (although I don't think they are that much lower), they have higher ceilings. If you believe in your coaching staff, specifically Stretz and Mallard, and you believe your scouts did their homework and that Houston and Smith both love football, then you take one of them over Kerrigan.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#28 : February 19, 2011, 01:43:18 AM

He reminds me of Smith.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#29 : February 19, 2011, 01:47:00 AM

Or a Greg Spires.

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 11
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFP: Kerrigan is a "blah" athlete « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools