Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFP: Kerrigan is a "blah" athlete « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11

JDog

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#30 : February 19, 2011, 09:10:06 AM

Kerrigan's cieling is somewhere between where Chris Long is right now and the peak of Aaron Kampan's career. Not because they're all white. Because they're all DE's who use technique and motor more than athleticism.

Using technique and motor more than athleticism?    Isn't that the definition of any white guy in the NFL?     The fact of the matter is that they are at a genetic disadvantage and have to work harder and play smarter than the other guys who have those genetic advantages.    That's why it's so cool when one of them succeeds.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#31 : February 19, 2011, 10:14:03 AM

When it comes to Kerrigan I am afraid that he has already maxed out his abilities. I think because of his attitude, work ethic, and love of football I think he will always be a rotational player (at least), and put up anywhere from 5-8 sacks per year.
While Houston and Smith have lower floors (although I don't think they are that much lower), they have higher ceilings. If you believe in your coaching staff, specifically Stretz and Mallard, and you believe your scouts did their homework and that Houston and Smith both love football, then you take one of them over Kerrigan.

A rotational player that gets 8 sacks a year? I'll take two please.

Ramonb

Pro Bowler

#32 : February 19, 2011, 12:07:21 PM

I think that the situation in Tampa will be more conducive to a guy like Kerrigan who's best attribute is his motor and consistent tenacity; lets not forget that he is gonna be playing next to Price and McCoy who will be terrors in their own right...someone who just hammers and hammers away like Kerrigan does is bound to reap benefits moreso that someone who is athletically gifted but not as persistent due to the presence of Price and McCoy.  Just my 2 cents.
: February 19, 2011, 12:09:28 PM Ramonb

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#33 : February 19, 2011, 12:50:35 PM

He's not a great athlete and he won't wow anyone at the combine....but you watch his tape and it's easy to see he's a good DE.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#34 : February 19, 2011, 01:03:30 PM

I think we end with him or Houston.

jvato24

Starter

#35 : February 19, 2011, 01:53:31 PM

Articles like this give me hope ..  Well not for posters like Detrimental who call DE a "skill position" .     8)   ..   You all can take your fast dash players ...  i will settle for an all out football player with the Big 10 forced fumble record.         

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#36 : February 19, 2011, 01:58:07 PM

I think Kerrigan has great quickness, strength, technique, and instincts. He doesn't have great agility/flexibility or top end speed though. He doesn't have that freakish athleticism you really want in your RE. I think in the NFL he will end up playing at around 270lbs and be a helluva LE in a 4-3.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#37 : February 19, 2011, 03:46:26 PM

Articles like this give me hope ..  Well not for posters like Detrimental who call DE a "skill position" .     8)   ..   You all can take your fast dash players ...  i will settle for an all out football player with the Big 10 forced fumble record.       
You're right. I can't call a DE a "skill position" even though some DE's in the NFL are often asked to drop back in coverage, spy on QB's, and cover zones.

/facepalm

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#38 : February 19, 2011, 03:50:24 PM

Doesn't every position require skill?

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#39 : February 19, 2011, 03:58:24 PM

Doesn't every position require skill?
Well to an extent. Linemen though typically aren't dubbed "skill positions" b/c they rely on technique more than anything then strength takes over after that. Throwing, catching, defending passes, playing coverage, and running the ball are skillful duties. The ones that excel in those things (top 10 in their position) are the good-great athletes in the NFL.

I know I seem like a Kerrigan-basher but to be honest, I've already stated I think he'll be solid in the NFL. That isn't a BAD thing at all considering we have below average talent at the position.

A DE that can get 8 sacks per year is good for me. I just rather get the guy that can potentially be a 10-12 sack type per year w/higher upside. That's just my opinion and you're one of the few people that can grasp that.

jeanclaud

Starter

#40 : February 19, 2011, 04:53:07 PM

So all lineman play skill positions?

Or just DE?

What about kicker?

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#41 : February 19, 2011, 06:35:24 PM

So all lineman play skill positions?

Or just DE?

What about kicker?
Just defensive ends, I said most lineman don't need "skill" they just play with technique and strength. And kicking a football in my opinion doesn't take much skills.

champkind

Hall of Famer

#42 : February 28, 2011, 09:31:40 AM

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#43 : February 28, 2011, 09:34:57 AM

31 Reps...  ?

a blah athlete my patootie.

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#44 : February 28, 2011, 09:36:49 AM

Quote from: Wes Bunting
Shocked by Purdue DE Ryan Kerrigan 4.67 time, looked stiff, but good time

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFP: Kerrigan is a "blah" athlete « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools