Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Front office wanted Sanchez over Freeman « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

: February 21, 2011, 06:21:40 PM

Looks like Morris was the one pushing to draft Freeman. Here is an excerpt of a Doug Williams interview in the St. Pete Times....

"I laugh, when I hear them talk about (quarterback) Josh Freeman. I know they wanted (Jets quarterback) Mark Sanchez. I sat right there while they were talking about trading up and getting Sanchez and all these different scenarios.

"(Bucs coach) Raheem Morris was the strongest guy in there (pushing for Freeman). I remember the owners asking me which quarterback I liked. I said, 'If you want someone to play right now, take Sanchez. But I think over the long haul, Josh is going to be better,' and I think he's proven that. Raheem had the strongest conviction because he had been around the kid (at Kansas State).''

The complete article: http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/doug-williams-returns-to-grambling-laments-good-ol-boy-network-in-nfl/1152994
: February 21, 2011, 06:25:40 PM CyberDilemma

Hate

Hall of Famer
#1 : February 21, 2011, 07:28:27 PM

Doug comes across as a tad bit bitter. Who knows how objective that article is.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#2 : February 21, 2011, 07:41:16 PM

My thoughts exactly

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#3 : February 21, 2011, 07:45:53 PM

Strange that I recall you being more than willing to accept everything McCardell and Johnson said.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#4 : February 21, 2011, 07:54:59 PM

Strange that I recall you being more than willing to accept everything McCardell and Johnson said.

What's strange about it?

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#5 : February 21, 2011, 08:13:01 PM

Illuminator will carry Gruden's torch to the grave

TheAman

Hall of Famer

#6 : February 21, 2011, 08:13:39 PM

Look, if they were both available at 19, I think most of us at the time would've preferred Sanchez over Freeman.  Wouldn't surprise me at all if some in the front office felt the same way.

JDog

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#7 : February 21, 2011, 08:24:15 PM

Look, if they were both available at 19, I think most of us at the time would've preferred Sanchez over Freeman.  Wouldn't surprise me at all if some in the front office felt the same way.

I think pretty much everyone realizes that had they both been available, the Bucs would have taken Sanchez.    And Sanchez would not have been a bad pick.    I like him better than Freeman even now.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#8 : February 21, 2011, 08:26:12 PM

Actually what we do before drafts is close to what everyone else does; brainstorm about all possible scenarios and how we should respond if that scenario actually develops come draft day.
All I get from Doug's comment is we anticipated Sanchez would get drafted earlier than our pick and we'd need to trade up to get him. He never said WHO exactly wanted Sanchez or whether we ever actually ACTED on trying to trade up.
It's not uncommon for different members of a team's 'braintrust' to have different opinions on who to select prior to the draft. Differing opinions is a healthy thing; it helps with avoiding getting locked on one player, which can be disastrous.
Raheem has been very public about his desire to make Josh Freeman a Buc; nothing much new there really...

champkind

Hall of Famer

#9 : February 21, 2011, 08:26:23 PM

All this does is prove that Morris knows more about football than the Glazers and Doug Williams. Nothing but positive..

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#10 : February 21, 2011, 08:28:38 PM

Doug comes across as a tad bit bitter.

That's putting it mildly.

JDog

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#11 : February 21, 2011, 08:40:31 PM

My thoughts exactly

I saw Doug a few weeks ago having lunch at Lee Roy Selmon's with Jimmie Giles.    Obviously he's not so bitter as you think since he's still hanging out with the old Bucs.

PassThePigSkin

Hall of Famer

#12 : February 21, 2011, 08:41:07 PM

I think pretty much everyone realizes that had they both been available, the Bucs would have taken Sanchez.    And Sanchez would not have been a bad pick.    I like him better than Freeman even now.

After seeing your last 2 post this has to be Java.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#13 : February 21, 2011, 08:43:56 PM

He hides it so well

You Mad

Pro Bowler

#14 : February 21, 2011, 08:49:45 PM

lol i wanted to say that as well in another thread. Somethings a lil off  in his sentence structure ,phrasing, dunno but the points he makes are very much in line with Java.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Front office wanted Sanchez over Freeman « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools