Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 'Melo to the Knicks « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

: February 22, 2011, 12:03:32 AM

Thank goodness that is over.  Sick of hearing about the dude, and I LOVE Melo.

The Knicks losing Felton is going to hurt them a bit...but the Knicks are now the fifth best team in the east.  HA HA HA!

TheAman

Hall of Famer

#1 : February 22, 2011, 12:10:31 AM

Pretty sweet trading away those players/picks/completely wrecking any cap space and not getting any closer to the finals.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#2 : February 22, 2011, 07:47:46 AM

The Knicks?  Oh yeah, that NBA franchise from NYC.

Haven't paid attn to them since Bernard King and Patrick Ewing.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#3 : February 22, 2011, 03:21:42 PM

The Knicks losing Felton is going to hurt them a bit...but the Knicks are now the fifth best team in the east.  HA HA HA!

I'm a life long Knicks fan and I was tired of it, too.

I have mixed feelings on it. I thought we gave up too much but then again, we just traded for a perennial all star and didn't give up an all star in return. Will Gallo or Chandler play in some future all star games? Maybe.

I wish we could have waited until FA an then signed Melo but that was risky. What if the new CBA allowed for a franchise tag? And on top of that, Melo didn't want
to risk losing out on the $65 million extension. Money DID matter. Of course, with a new CBA, if a hard cap is implemented, many big salaries won't work any more.

Will the Knicks have enough cap room to sign Paul, Williams or Howard if they become FAs? Have to wait to see. Do the Knicks have the players in place to trade for one of those three if their teams want to get something in return? Nope.

Carmelo has shown he can dominate in a big playoff game or two. So, I'm curious to see what happens here.

As upset as I was yesterday when I heard the Knicks included Mozgov, (Not because he is a great prospect but because it was another cave in by Dolan/Isiah) today I
realize that we have two all stars and a chance to do a little damage in the years ahead. And if we meet the Bulls in the first round, it's a winnable series.

I personally won't miss Felton. Boid. He was becoming very erratic. Billups will be fine for two years.

Glad we were able to keep Fields, the steal of the draft.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#4 : February 22, 2011, 04:29:37 PM

i thought billups was gonna be cut immediately so he could go back to denver?

if i were the nuggets i would have taken the nets offer.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#5 : February 22, 2011, 05:53:40 PM

i thought billups was gonna be cut immediately so he could go back to denver?

if i were the nuggets i would have taken the nets offer.

Carmelo wouldn't have signed an extension with the Nets unless the Knicks had dropped out of the chase. Now, if Carmelo would have said, "I'll only sign an extension with the Knicks," the Nuggets would have had to accept a lesser offer from the Knicks or hold on to Carmelo and hope that a Franchise Tag was
added to the CBA or that Carmelo would have panicked and accepted a trade (at the last minute) to the Nets so he could sign that $65 million extension. For Melo, the money was very important. Even if it meant the Knicks gutting their team.

Billups is a big part of this trade. If he embraces NY, this team can do some damage in the playoffs. He shoots threes very well. Carmelo and Amar'e can both shoot inside and out and kick it to Billups for threes. Should be fun to watch. I wasn't a fan of giving up the farm but I'll enjoy the rest of the season. This is the most talent the Knicks have had in a long time.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#6 : February 22, 2011, 11:10:22 PM

Hmmmph!

Personally I think the Knicks just paid an arm and a leg for player that puts them nowhere closer to the playoffs. Or at least not the big game. He is a good player but he is not a Kobe, not a LeBron and not a Howard. In fact, as a Magic fan, Howard should be the prime example that unless you are a 150% superstar that can carry the whole team on his back, all the time, aka Kobe (and I hate that guy), shy away from SUPERSTARS who make it all about them and not the team. At least Howard seems to put the team first.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#7 : February 23, 2011, 11:25:55 PM

Personally I think the Knicks just paid an arm and a leg for player that puts them nowhere closer to the playoffs.

Nowhere closer to the playoffs? LOL. Sorry but you're showing your lack of knowledge when it comes to basketball. They were two games above .500 and 2.5 games
in front of Philly for the 6th seed before the trade. Acquiring Melo and Billups will help solidify that playoff position. Having Amar'e this year has helped energize the
team and MSG. But when he went out of a game, there was no go to guy on the floor. Melo changes that in a big way. Knicks are a work in progress but getting Melo
is a nice addition.

Or at least not the big game.

Finals? Nope, not yet. But he's a piece of the puzzle. Their defense sucked before they got Carmelo and it still sucks. They  must add a few top notch defenders if they ever want to go deep into the playoffs. Although, Melo and Billups DID made it to the Western Conference Finals a few years ago before losing to the Lakers. And that Nugget team wasn't spectacular. Melo can carry a team when he's hot. And he has a lot of playoff experience. His team made the playoffs every year he was there. They just didn't win many series. Is that a knock on Melo or the team he was surrounded with? I don't know.

He'll need to mature and develop even further to help take the Knicks to the next level. I think he'll do it. But, of course, I'm, biased. Bias aside, most folks who know the NBA realize that this improves the Knicks.

He is a good player but he is not a Kobe,

He's one of the top ten players in the NBA and he's a great offensive player and pretty good rebounder. Is he a Kobe? Of course not. Nobody has suggested that.

not a LeBron

Thank God. Great player but not a winner, yet.

and not a Howard.

Howard is not in the same league as Kobe and neither is Lebron. Obviously, Carmelo isn't either.

In fact, as a Magic fan, Howard should be the prime example that unless you are a 150% superstar that can carry the whole team on his back, all the time, aka Kobe (and I hate that guy), shy away from SUPERSTARS who make it all about them and not the team. At least Howard seems to put the team first.

Melo and Stoudemire are TWO stars and not one. Bring in Chris Paul or Deron Williams (I don't think he signs an extension with the Nets) and the Knicks will have a big three that will be formidable. Melo has a reputation of being selfish. I want a little selfishness in my best scorer but he'll need to adjust to having another top scorer on the
floor with him at the same time.

In the meantime, I love what I see from Billups. The guy still has it and his playoff experience is going to help big time. I just wish he wasn't such a big cap hit with that huge salary. I like him to play 2-3 more years if we can't add Paul or Williams in 2012.

I didn't want to give up the arm, leg, Italian and Russian but when you have a chance to get a top ten player like Anthony, you do it. Will he bring a championship? We'll see. Lots of pieces still missing from that puzzle.

It was fun watching the Knicks tonight. It was fun watching them before Anthony. But let's face it, they were 28-26 before the trade. It's not as if we dismantled a dominant team that was going to wreak havoc in the playoffs.

With Melo and Billups on board, I'll be very happy with them winning one playoff series and being competitive in the 2nd one. Then again, they may not be good enough to win a series against Chicago, who they might meet in the first round.

Knicks were relevant before the trade. Now they're an exciting. relevant team that is on their way to getting better. And I'm excited about it.

MBF

Hall of Famer

#8 : February 24, 2011, 02:12:56 PM

Not better than the Hawks. Amare= Al Horford's biatch

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#9 : February 24, 2011, 03:33:15 PM

Horford? LOL. Loved how he failed to back up his loud mouth in the last Hawks/Knicks game.

Loved what I saw from Billups last night. Guy is a leader and Knicks fans will not miss Felton, who shoots 10% worse from three point land than Billups. Felton helped us
turn things around but Billups will be the bridge to 2012 and Williams or Paul. I hope.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#10 : February 25, 2011, 01:25:14 AM

Better question is. Why the hell did the Nets trade for Deron Williams? They gave up a crap load for a player that is likely to bolt in 2 years. Leaving them worse off then they were before. I'm pleased what the Cavs did this trade deadline. Getting a 1st rounder and Baron Davis for Mo Williams is a solid trade. We still are about 3 years away from being a good team, but 2 lotterys is a good start.

MBF

Hall of Famer

#11 : February 25, 2011, 12:05:31 PM

Nah, worst move has to be Boston trading Kendrick Perkins. They can kiss the Finals goodbye.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#12 : February 25, 2011, 12:21:14 PM

Better question is. Why the hell did the Nets trade for Deron Williams? They gave up a crap load for a player that is likely to bolt in 2 years. Leaving them worse off then they were before. I'm pleased what the Cavs did this trade deadline. Getting a 1st rounder and Baron Davis for Mo Williams is a solid trade. We still are about 3 years away from being a good team, but 2 lotterys is a good start.

I think the Nets were desperate to get a star after losing out on Lebron and Carmelo. It's a risk but if they can bring in another star, D Will might wind up staying.

I hope he's miserable there and the Knicks can somehow get him next summer. Or, we get Chris Paul. Cap is going to be a big issue but we'll see what happens.

Knicks picked up Jared Jeffries after he was bought out by Houston. JJ's offense is almost non-existent. But he rebounds and plays SOME defense. Hopefully that rubs off on a few of the offensive stars just a little.  Plus, he's 6' 11". Knicks desperately need size. Wish it had been Gasol or Camby but Knicks don't have anybody else to trade! Except Fields and I want to keep him.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#13 : February 25, 2011, 12:22:55 PM

Nah, worst move has to be Boston trading Kendrick Perkins. They can kiss the Finals goodbye.

Curious to see how that works out. They offered Perkins a two year deal and he turned it down. Apparently, they were oceans apart on dollars so the Celtics decided
to get what they could, while they could. I know their superstars are wondering if it was the right move.

michael89156

Hall of Famer

#14 : February 25, 2011, 12:44:21 PM

Agree with this.  Now they have grandpa Shack and oft injured Jermaine O'Neil at center.  They might be something going on there that we don't know about, like Perkins knee's are shot.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 'Melo to the Knicks « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools