Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs face Ring of Honor dilemma « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : February 22, 2011, 01:14:38 PM »

Bucs face Ring of Honor dilemma

Posted Feb 22, 2011 at 09:34 AM
Updated Feb 22, 2011 at 10:14 AM

By IRA KAUFMAN

TAMPA—The Buccaneers will think long and hard about the next selection into the club’s Ring of Honor.

The first two entrants, chosen by the Glazer family, were fairly automatic. Hall of Fame defensive end Lee Roy Selmon was the first draft pick in franchise history and John McKay served as head coach for Tampa Bay’s first nine seasons.

Now comes the hard part.

The Bucs could stick with the retro trend by honoring Doug Williams this fall, assuming there is a 2011 season, but that would be a risky move because the quarterback who led the Bucs to three playoff appearances within a four-year span is in no mood to renew acquaintances with the organization.

Williams, who will be introduced Wednesday as head football coach at Grambling State, harbors little respect for Bucs GM Mark Dominik. Williams felt he had some input as a Tampa Bay executive when Bruce Allen and Jon Gruden were running football operations, but Williams says things changed markedly once Dominik replaced Allen two years ago.

As a Bucs personnel executive, Williams believed he should have at least been considered for Tampa Bay’s GM job. After Dominik was hired, Williams became Coordinator of Pro Scouting and felt largely ignored within the organization.

By the time Williams left the Bucs last May, he and Dominik were barely on speaking terms.

If the Bucs choose Williams as the third member of their Ring of Honor, they risk the possibility he will boycott the ceremony.

It might be safer to jump ahead 15 years in franchise history and pick between Tony Dungy, Derrick Brooks, Warren Sapp, John Lynch or Mike Alstott. The Bucs could also go middle ground and induct durable left tackle Paul Gruber or linebacker Hardy Nickerson, who earned five Pro Bowl berths in his seven years with the Bucs and helped usher in a sustained run of success.

If the Bucs bypass Williams in 2011, he may have a long wait to see his name and familiar No. 12 up in the rafters of Raymond James Stadium. Williams’ induction likely hinges on his willingness to embrace an organization that selected him in the first round of the 1978 draft and hired him in the front office 26 years later.

The Bucs and Brooks have largely mended their differences in the two years since Tampa Bay released an 11-time Pro Bowl linebacker who represented Tampa Bay with distinction, on and off the field.

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

« #1 : February 22, 2011, 01:17:36 PM »

Doug's feelings have nothing to do with his place in the Ring of Honor.  Induct him.  If he shows up, great, if he doesn't, let's just pretend he's being inducted posthumously.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

« #2 : February 22, 2011, 01:22:35 PM »

They never got to do an official Brooks retirement/appreciation thing during a game half-time like they did for Alsott, since Brooks never officially retired until recently, so maybe it would be a good idea to kill 2 birds with one stone and honor Brooks this season. It would go a long way towards mending all the fan bad will that was created when he was released.

bill_kir

Starter

« #3 : February 22, 2011, 01:24:55 PM »

Doug's feelings have nothing to do with his place in the Ring of Honor.  Induct him.  If he shows up, great, if he doesn't, let's just pretend he's being inducted posthumously.

i agree. induct him, if he doesn't show up thats on him. i'd lose no sleep over it.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #4 : February 22, 2011, 01:36:16 PM »

Why is it even assumed Williams even deserves Ring of Honor consideration? Yeah, he was the team's first real quarterback, but he only spent 5 years in Tampa and never made a Pro Bowl.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #5 : February 22, 2011, 01:50:43 PM »

I disagree. If he's in no mood to embrace this organization, "f" him!! Brooks is more worthy anyway!!!

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

« #6 : February 22, 2011, 01:53:08 PM »

It's the Lawrence Taylor dilemma; do you judge a man's career based on unrelated criteria?  Doug's feelings have nothing to do with what he did for the franchise on the field.  Are his bitter feelings enough to cancel out the things he accomplished between the hash marks?

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #7 : February 22, 2011, 01:58:08 PM »

It's the Lawrence Taylor dilemma; do you judge a man's career based on unrelated criteria?  Doug's feelings have nothing to do with what he did for the franchise on the field.  Are his bitter feelings enough to cancel out the things he accomplished between the hash marks?

I view those situations differently as Taylor, to my knowledge, never had any ill feelings towards the organization. If Doug feels the organization screwed him over, and is not ready to partake in the Ring festivities, then to hell with him.

Brooks and Sapp before him anyway, IMO.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

« #8 : February 22, 2011, 02:03:53 PM »

I disagree, but I can definitely see your point.

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer

« #9 : February 22, 2011, 02:08:04 PM »

I believe Warren Sapp deserves to go next. He retired before Brooks so he should go into the ring before Brooks.

No disrespect AT ALL to DB. I'd be ok with the retirement/ROH for him. I'd just love to see Sapp go in. His personality and tenacity like none other. I loved seeing him skip through the other teams warm ups kicking over pylons. He was the swagger in that D.

Green Right Slot, Albacore 3 Y Quesadilla

ryan24

Hall of Famer
« #10 : February 22, 2011, 02:10:57 PM »

Williams doesn't belong there in the first place.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #11 : February 22, 2011, 02:14:50 PM »

Brooks!

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

« #12 : February 22, 2011, 02:27:17 PM »

Warrick Dunn

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
« #13 : February 22, 2011, 02:43:21 PM »

I would put Hardy, Gruber and Brooks at the top of  the list. Sapp, Giles and Wilder right behind them.

RE: Williams. He is the one ranting and raving after the Bucs kept him for 7 years in the FO and he never developed. Let him eat cake!

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
« #14 : February 22, 2011, 02:48:32 PM »

No to Dunn. He said he wanted to be remembered as Falcon.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981
  Page: 1 2 3 ... 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs face Ring of Honor dilemma « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools