Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs face Ring of Honor dilemma « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

Hate

Hall of Famer
#30 : February 22, 2011, 07:01:24 PM

I believe Warren Sapp deserves to go next. He retired before Brooks so he should go into the ring before Brooks.

No disrespect AT ALL to DB. I'd be ok with the retirement/ROH for him. I'd just love to see Sapp go in. His personality and tenacity like none other. I loved seeing him skip through the other teams warm ups kicking over pylons. He was the swagger in that D.

I'm fully endorse this post. Sapp is MY all time fav..... a guy i think we took for granted while he was here.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

JDog

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#31 : February 22, 2011, 08:21:08 PM

Took Sapp for granted?   Please.  What a ridiculous comment.  I loved Sapp when he was on the Bucs.  NOBODY took him for granted when he was here.

NOBODY

He's proven recently though that he's an arrogant ass punk so I've lost all respect for the guy.

Axxon

Pro Bowler
#32 : February 22, 2011, 08:49:45 PM

It's the Lawrence Taylor dilemma; do you judge a man's career based on unrelated criteria?  Doug's feelings have nothing to do with what he did for the franchise on the field.  Are his bitter feelings enough to cancel out the things he accomplished between the hash marks?

Cancel out 895-1890 47.3% 73 td / 73 int?

I like Doug but absolutely it cancels THAT out.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#33 : February 22, 2011, 09:17:16 PM

This really depends on your definition of what a Ring of Honor should be. The best Bucs NOT to be in the ring of honor include Brooks (the best), Sapp, Nickerson, Lynch and Alstott. Gruber would be next and then you get into guys like D. Williams, Bell, Giles, House and even Batman Wood. What about Huge Green?
I think we should limit it to the first six plus Dungy and Gruden. Go one a year. By that time Ronde will be long retired and he becomes No. 9 while Simeon Rice is an easily justifiable No. 10. After that you can go guys like Shelton Quarles, Joey Galloway. Then you start to address the best of THIS group and you're set.

In Verner We Trust

JDog

Hall of Famer

#34 : February 22, 2011, 09:21:44 PM

Galloway is a good suggestion.  Good call on that one jerseybucsfan.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#35 : February 22, 2011, 09:25:41 PM

Based on peer recognition, I'd have to put Giles as a 4-time Pro Bowler as high on the list as any pre-1990s player.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

ktownbuc47

Pro Bowler
#36 : February 22, 2011, 10:24:30 PM

Giles
Gruber
Wilder
Sapp
Brooks
Nickerson
Lynch
Alstott

Why do you necessarily have to be wrong just because a few million people think you are?

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#37 : February 22, 2011, 10:46:46 PM

Giles
Gruber
Wilder
Sapp
Brooks
Nickerson
Lynch
Alstott

Add Barber when he retires and that's probably it amongst the known quantities.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

-ts

Hall of Famer
#38 : February 22, 2011, 11:11:17 PM

Why is it even assumed Williams even deserves Ring of Honor consideration? Yeah, he was the team's first real quarterback, but he only spent 5 years in Tampa and never made a Pro Bowl.
QFT...

I wouldn't put him in.

JDog

Hall of Famer

#39 : February 22, 2011, 11:43:44 PM

Doug endured great racism when he was in Tampa.   This caused him to write a book called "quarterblack" detailing his hardships.   To not vote him into the Buc hall of fame after all the abuse he took in Tampa would be tantamount to racism considering how that affected his career.    He should be in the Bucs hall of fame.   It's the least they can do after snubbing him for the gm spot.

JDog

Hall of Famer

#40 : February 23, 2011, 02:42:54 AM

I was thinking about this.   Since Sapp and Brooks were drafted in the same draft - the draft that turned the team around.    It would be fitting if they went into the Bucs Hall of Fame together.    They should put both of them in this year in the same ceremony.

Hell, that game might even break their consistent string of black outs!

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#41 : February 23, 2011, 03:11:31 AM

I like that idea but I don't think you will see them doubling up any Ring of Honor admittances. Let's face it, if they started doing that, they would run out of people to admit in the not-too-distant future. The Bucs haven't had that many "great" players and it will be quite awhile before this new crop of Bucs retire.

Axxon

Pro Bowler
#42 : February 23, 2011, 05:19:33 AM

Doug endured great racism when he was in Tampa.   This caused him to write a book called "quarterblack" detailing his hardships.   To not vote him into the Buc hall of fame after all the abuse he took in Tampa would be tantamount to racism considering how that affected his career.    He should be in the Bucs hall of fame.   It's the least they can do after snubbing him for the gm spot.

Well, if we have to do that lets just call it what it is: Ring of Racial Tolerance since it's not about talent or achievement but simply about race.

Personally I'd be pretty insulted if they told me I was being honored for being black not for being a talented player. It's not any different than asking him how long he's been a black quarterback. No one, even now, is willing to let Doug just be a QB and judged on his merit, not his skin pigmentation.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#43 : February 23, 2011, 07:47:10 AM

JDog, I'm afraid I must wholeheartedly agree with Axxon. No one is ''entitled''' to be in the Ring of Honor. And we're not talking about puttting Mike Alstott and John Lynch and 50 white players in before we put in Doug Williams (although we somehow forgot Brad Johnson in all this quarterback talk!!!) In terms of performance, Doug Williams simply isn't one of the best options. That said, I wear my Doug Williams 1982 retro jersey all the time. He was exciting, talented in a raw way like Joe Namath. He was aesthetically beautiful to watch. So he had a big impact on this franchise, helping it go from terrible to pretty good. But I'm not sure he doesn't fall into the Sam Bradford category: overrated. We romanticize a bit what he COULD do, whereas with the Selmons, Wood, Cedric Brown, Hugh Green, et al we remember what they did.

In Verner We Trust

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#44 : February 23, 2011, 09:00:37 AM

If he deserves to be in then put him in. If he doesn't show up for the ceremony that looks bad on his part. If you start choosing based on anything other than who deserves it you open up a can of worms.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs face Ring of Honor dilemma « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools