Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why the Bucs will trade up... « previous next »
Page: 1 2

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

: February 24, 2011, 06:35:46 PM

I see it being impossible for the Bucs to sit back and wait for a DE to fall to them. The Bucs can expect 3 to 5 RDE types to go between #1 and #20, with the best prospects being gone by 20. They may have their pick of the rest, but the only way to get the best is to trade up. Even if a worthy player started to fall, any team behind the Bucs is going to try to jump them if the want a DE because they know its their biggest weakness. It may be in the Bucs best interest to trade some picks to move up to get they guy they want. Otherwise they are going to be left with with guys with some reasonable uncertainties, or they will be adressing a different position all together.

The only way I see them staying put at #20 is if they draft an O-lineman, or if a guy like Justin Houston is going to be there when they pick. Most 2nd round or later prospects dont give much inspiration as far as DEs are concerned as well.

Another thing that may help the Bucs chances at trading up at a reasonable rate is that there are a few teams with lots of needs, and a couple of those are low on draft picks.

So the way I see it, If the Bucs want that game changing DE, they will have to trade up. If they are willing to draft another position with the #20 pick, or take a shot at one of the DEs left over with some concerns, it would be the only way I see them stay put or even trade down.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

Bucfan2486

Rookie

#1 : February 24, 2011, 07:10:38 PM

I totally agree. DE is not just a need. It is an extremely massive giant need!!!!!!!!  If your biggest need is a DE why settle for the 4th or 5th best DE.  Move up and get your guy!!!!!! The  question is how far are they willing to move up. There is no way in hell we move into the top 5. But lets say either Quinn or Bowers falls into the 7-10 range. I think they should really consider it.  Now what would we have to give up to move into the 7-10 range? Would swapping 1sts, giving them our second and next years 1st do it?

SarasotaBuc Fan

Hall of Famer
#2 : February 24, 2011, 07:11:41 PM

i dont see us standing pat. We have to trade up and get "our" guy, whomever mark deems is the man for us.

Bucfan2486

Rookie

#3 : February 24, 2011, 07:18:23 PM

We also need a RE. The only worthy RE's are Bowers, Quinn, Jordan, and maybe Watt.  Kerrigan is a LE, Aldon Smith and Houston are 3-4 OLB's. Clayborn is a 2nd rounder and not really the type of pass rusher from the rightside that I'm lookin for. You got guys like Beal and Romeus that at one point were 1st rounders but have  fallen off the grid and you can't count on drafting one of those guys and feeling good about your DE still.
: February 24, 2011, 07:21:58 PM Bucfan2486

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#4 : February 24, 2011, 07:19:14 PM

We also need a RE. The only worthy RE's are Bowers, Quinn, Jordan, and maybe Watt.   Clayborn is a 2nd rounder, Kerrigan is a LE, The rest are 5 techs.

I don't think Jordan or Watt are RDEs either.

Captain Hindsight

Hall of Famer

#5 : February 24, 2011, 07:20:22 PM

Only serious RDE candidates I see in the 1st are Bowers, Quinn, and Smith.

Lombardi_Stacks

Starter
#6 : February 24, 2011, 07:22:02 PM

We also need a RE. The only worthy RE's are Bowers, Quinn, Jordan, and maybe Watt.   Clayborn is a 2nd rounder, Kerrigan is a LE, The rest are 5 techs.

+1

Bucfan2486

Rookie

#7 : February 24, 2011, 07:28:26 PM

+1
I think it depends what team they go to.  But I could see Watt or Jordan playing either side

Lombardi_Stacks

Starter
#8 : February 24, 2011, 07:32:50 PM

We know their going to trade up, the question is whether their going all the way an getting the guy they really want ( Robert Quinn ). Three reasons why they should, we're the youngest team in the league, two, we've got limited holes to fill ( really just the front 7 an the LB class is better next year ), an third, we have a LARGE WALLET.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#9 : February 24, 2011, 09:33:32 PM

I hope its for Quinn. We need a BEAST not a "solid" prospect a la Kerrigan and Clayborn. They don't project as 10-12 sacks per year guys like Smith, Houston, Bowers, and Quinn do.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#10 : February 25, 2011, 03:16:43 AM

The Bucs had the #4 pick in 2007 and supposedly took the TOP defensive end that year. How did that work out? DE's are too much of a crap shoot to invest several pick on one guy. If a guy is there at no 17 that they really want, then I could see then dealing a 5th or 6th round pick to get him like they did with Freeman but you aren't gonna see Dominik give up a 2nd or even a 3rd to move up for a DE when there are so many decent ones available in this draft.

Nicodemus

Pro Bowler

#11 : February 25, 2011, 07:31:59 AM

While RDE is an important need, let us not forget that getting a good LDE that can also pass rush should not be passed up. If we see a good RDE that we like fall outside of the top 15 then we should look to get him, however if we find that when it comes to our pick there are still very good LDEs still available then I don't think we should throw the baby out with the bath water in a hissy fit becuase he's a LDE.

Our current roster lacks a true dominant LDE and a pass rushing demon RDE. Someone like Kerrigan is a very productive player who could well end up being a rock solid LDE that can flush QB's towards the middle for McCoy and Price to tackle. This should not be overlooked, sure we all want a great RDE but if we end up with a superb LDE it still makes the team a lot better. Also, don't be surprised if we look to later rounds to find another good DE, Jared Allen wasn't a first round pick and has been a very good DE, we should trust our scouts to find a RDE in later rounds if we don't pick one up in the first.

aquilus

Pro Bowler

#12 : February 25, 2011, 08:42:02 AM

I hope its for Quinn. We need a BEAST not a "solid" prospect a la Kerrigan and Clayborn. They don't project as 10-12 sacks per year guys like Smith, Houston, Bowers, and Quinn do.

NFLN is placing Quinn in the top 5 dont think we go that far up

If we trade up its for Kerrigan...no suprise the team is pretty much in love with Kerrigan as they were Freeman and McCoy

Captain Hindsight

Hall of Famer

#13 : February 25, 2011, 08:48:15 AM

no suprise the team is pretty much in love with Kerrigan as they were Freeman and McCoy

Where has this been reported? PR? Link?

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#14 : February 25, 2011, 08:52:49 AM

NFLN is placing Quinn in the top 5 dont think we go that far up

If we trade up its for Kerrigan...no suprise the team is pretty much in love with Kerrigan as they were Freeman and McCoy
LOL dude get over yourself and the Kerrigan crap. The Bucs are not in "love" with Kerrigan. Yeah, they admitted that they like the guy but that is pretty much it.

We are NOT trading up for Kerrigan dude. Period. Kerrigan is a top 20 projected pick, we don't have to jump in front of teams for a "LDE" who is a "solid" prospect. Quinn will not go top 5 I don't care what any one these draft sights say. The combine will settle the marbles.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why the Bucs will trade up... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools