Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gholston to be released « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer

#15 : February 28, 2011, 07:51:44 PM

We have absolutely zero at DE. Nothing.

Bennett is still a project and hasn't proven anything.
Magee had a couple nice plays but isn't starter material.

I'm all for picking up a gut that has top notch athleticism and was playing outbid position. Even if he flops were still left with nothing. It can't get any worse.

HOOOOOOOO!!!!

tbc_bucs

Hall of Famer
#16 : February 28, 2011, 07:51:54 PM

Jenkins was injured too much... I think they released him after seeing that guy bench 49 reps yesterday lol

Tampa-Two

Hall of Famer

#17 : February 28, 2011, 08:03:35 PM

I think a fresh start can be good for Gholston.

Not against bringing him in if its at an OK price.

shadowman

Rookie

#18 : February 28, 2011, 08:33:38 PM

If he's released, we could name the price.  See him die on the vine when no one comes calling and sign him later to a "Prove it" contract.  Then cut him in camp, assuming there is one, if he sucks.  How can we lose on this one?

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#19 : February 28, 2011, 10:15:36 PM

If he's released, we could name the price.  See him die on the vine when no one comes calling and sign him later to a "Prove it" contract.  Then cut him in camp, assuming there is one, if he sucks.  How can we lose on this one?
Unless his agent is lying to him and telling him he can get a big contract, we have nothing to lose.  He had 21.5 sacks in 2 years at Ohio St., including 1 the only 2 sacks that Jake Long gave up in college.  There is some talent and physical ability there, so it's got to be either an lack of effort, lack of ability to learn the scheme, or the just being in the wrong scheme.  Either way, it wouldn't cost us anything to take a look.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#20 : February 28, 2011, 10:18:46 PM

Can't be anything but worth a look.  Dude looked lost out there, didn't do anything to write home about.  Literally, he did nothing on one of the better defensive schemes in the NFL, which makes me think he might just be a flat out dud.  He never flashed anything.  Not a thing.  But worth a cheap looksee...he aint gonna get big cheddar fo sho.

nubcake

Hall of Famer

#21 : February 28, 2011, 10:27:08 PM

That's got to be at least $20 million in 2011 salaries. Woody Johnson is cheap and doesn't want to win. It's a shame what he's doing to Jets fans.

Yep, just like us. It's too bad we don't have owners like Snyder or Jones, they aren't afraid to spend!!!!

For reals though, I'd consider it for a VERY low salary. If any team is willing to outbid us for him, I'd let them. Because I really don't see anything from him right now. But our current DEs are so bad that we might as well give it a shot, I guess.

michael89156

Hall of Famer

#22 : February 28, 2011, 10:33:02 PM

Like others have mentioned, may be worth a look  if he is not expecting a big payday.  Kerrigan just ran a 1.65 ten yard split today compared to Gholston's 1.53 in 2008.

Jets waived DE Vernon Gholston.
Gholston was never going to receive his $2.5 million March roster bonus. The sixth overall pick in the 2008 draft, Gholston will be subject to waivers as a non-vested veteran, although there's next to no chance he'd be claimed. We'd still be interested to see what Gholston could do under a line coach like the Eagles' Jim Washburn. Gholston set the Ohio State single-season sack record (14.5) in 2007 and ran a 1.53 ten-yard split at the 2008 Combine.

Source:     ESPN New York
: February 28, 2011, 10:36:26 PM michael89156

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#23 : March 01, 2011, 12:22:18 AM

Rex Ryan could motivate a blowup doll.

Or at least its feet

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#24 : March 01, 2011, 12:24:22 AM

Rex Ryan could motivate a blowup doll.

Or at least its feet

Gholston's feet are too large for Rex. He's no size queen.

4bucs

Hall of Famer
#25 : March 01, 2011, 12:36:40 AM

Looks like GAMETIME could get his wish.  I think he's a bust. But GT and a few others think he was in the wrong defense.  I guess if we sign him or some other 4-3 team grabs him then we'll find out the truth

i think its definitely worth a shot.  he is the "prototype" 4-3 RE.  offer an incentive laden contract to play with a line with a lot of young potential.
exactly....if Millard can't work his magic then we cut him .....what have we got to lose......they should sign him as soon as hes released.....before march 4th.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#26 : March 01, 2011, 08:10:04 AM

Good lord people. Vernon Gholston? Really? This guy was considered one of the biggest flops in recent history. If you want to bring him in for 750,000 for 1 year I might go with that but he is no good, period. We have not heard one word from this guy since the day he was drafted and its not like he's playing in Tampa where people get ignored. The Jets get more press than 95% of NFL teams.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

Ft Myers Buc Fan

Hall of Famer
#27 : March 01, 2011, 08:15:37 AM

The only ray of hope for Gholston is maybe he needs to go back to a 4-3 team to finally feel comfortable.  After all, didn't he play DE at Ohio State in a 4-3?   I still find it almost impossible that even though he had a 9 million dollar escalator clause in his contract if he records just one sack, forced fumble or fumble recovery and he didnt get one!!  He is worth a look at a no risk, prove it type of deal but he has been such a huge bust that I really dont see much value in investing too much time and effort in him.

nubcake

Hall of Famer

#28 : March 01, 2011, 08:54:07 PM

You know what? Forget what I said before. I wouldn't even bring him in for the league minimum:

http://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/42568922876231680

He would have gotten NINE MILLION for a single sack or forced fumble. NINE MILLION. And he never got it.

I'd be willing to bet that the majority of this board would eventually get one sack through 3 years if there was 9 million on the line. If a pro athlete can't get either one of those through 3 years with 9 million dollars dangling in front of his face, there's no hope.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#29 : March 01, 2011, 09:11:26 PM

The only ray of hope for Gholston is maybe he needs to go back to a 4-3 team to finally feel comfortable.  After all, didn't he play DE at Ohio State in a 4-3?   I still find it almost impossible that even though he had a 9 million dollar escalator clause in his contract if he records just one sack, forced fumble or fumble recovery and he didnt get one!!  He is worth a look at a no risk, prove it type of deal but he has been such a huge bust that I really dont see much value in investing too much time and effort in him.

He was a DE but frankly he was drafted to be a pass rusher so he wasn't cut because he didn't drop in coverage well  He's a no risk prospect if you don't give him any real money so sure bring him in and if he has a BMW moment great if not we're out nothing and he can leave the way he came.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gholston to be released « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools