Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gholston to be released « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#30 : March 01, 2011, 09:15:19 PM

If I had my choice of any of these four players it would be Woody, without hesitation. He's still really good and we suck at right tackle.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#31 : March 01, 2011, 10:32:16 PM

I really havent followed his career, but It's hard to imagine why the Jets would have a guy that weighs 260lbs play DE in a 3-4. I mean that is just strange. He is the size of a 3-4 LB....why was he playing DE?

Anyways, he could be a guy that got the big money and just lost the motivation...in which case I hope we stay far away. He could also be a guy that wasn't able to make the switch to the 3-4. Just because a guy is an athletic 4-3 DE and has the size to be a 3-4 LB....doesn't mean he will be a good LB and it certainly doesn't mean he will be a good 3-4 DE. He was a beast in college when playing at DE in a 4-3. If some team drafts Kerrigan as a 3-4 LB I could see him having the same destiny. It doesn't mean he can't be a great 4-3 DE. I can't see any reason not to sign Vernon Gholston and see what he can do in camp. As long as he comes cheap then there is no reason not to see if he can resurrect his career here.

Don't teams have until the 3rd to sign free agents? I say snatch him up quick. We have the cap room to do it and we obviously are desperate for a good DE. As long as he doesn't require a lot of guaranteed money we can cut him in camp if he stinks and nothing is lost.
: March 01, 2011, 10:34:47 PM JDouble

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#32 : March 02, 2011, 12:04:21 AM

Id sign him for a chance. Thats about it.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#33 : March 02, 2011, 12:16:13 AM

I really havent followed his career, but It's hard to imagine why the Jets would have a guy that weighs 260lbs play DE in a 3-4. I mean that is just strange. He is the size of a 3-4 LB....why was he playing DE?
They started him off at OLB and then later tried to salvage him at DE.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

flash_kiley

Second String

#34 : March 02, 2011, 03:06:53 AM

He has so much potential. I definitely think he was drafted to the wrong defense. He isn't Demarcus Ware. He could be a good pass rusher with good coaching. And seriously...who else do we have that is better right now.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#35 : March 02, 2011, 07:00:36 AM

it couldn't hurt to sign him with no guaranteed money.  there is no risk.

PassThePigSkin

Hall of Famer

#36 : March 02, 2011, 04:07:23 PM

He has so much potential. I definitely think he was drafted to the wrong defense. He isn't Demarcus Ware. He could be a good pass rusher with good coaching. And seriously...who else do we have that is better right now.

All the DEs we have under contract except for Moore. He had great coaching with the Jets, I just don't get how he hasn't had atleast 1 sack in a blitz happy defense. I would like for TB to try him out just because i'm a buckeye fan. Maybe a 4-3 defense will work for him.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#37 : March 02, 2011, 07:52:28 PM

Teams are releasing players like crazy... Has there EVER been this many quality free agents?

Correction.....they are releasing "big name" free agents not "quality" free agents. There is no longer a salary cap, so if any player is getting released it's because they are not living up to their salary. Who wants another team's garbage? No thank you.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#38 : March 04, 2011, 08:40:11 PM

Looks like GAMETIME could get his wish.  I think he's a bust. But GT and a few others think he was in the wrong defense.  I guess if we sign him or some other 4-3 team grabs him then we'll find out the truth

i think its definitely worth a shot.  he is the "prototype" 4-3 RE.  offer an incentive laden contract to play with a line with a lot of young potential.

Lets not leave White Tiger out!

I would love to think a fresh start (here) in a new system (ours) would be just what the doctor ordered - and the cost appears to be right - but I'm waiting to see how many line-up to take a flyer on Gholston...

He never was thought to be an end that could anchor against the run, but he also never produced as a 3-4 OLB/edge rusher either. Some say that he is incapable of a bull rush - which left him a one-trick pony in the NFL.

Hope the books wrong on the guy - hate to see a former Buckeye miss so badly....
: March 04, 2011, 08:43:40 PM The White Tiger

Incomparable sig by Incognito

TheAman

Hall of Famer

#39 : March 04, 2011, 08:41:53 PM

I mean, it's one thing to be bad.  But as of now, he is statistically the worst defensive top 10 pick in history.  I understand the change of scenery/scheme theory, but you have to be epically bad to do as poorly as he did in New York.

michael89156

Hall of Famer

#40 : March 04, 2011, 10:37:04 PM

Looks like he cleared waivers as expected.

Former No. 6 overall pick Vernon Gholston passed through waivers Thursday, making him an unrestricted free agent.
Gholston, 25, figures to get at least one more shot, but no one was going to claim him off waivers because of an impending $2.5 million roster bonus. 4-3 teams may give Gholston a look as a base defensive end, a position at which he starred at Ohio State. He was miscast at outside linebacker and five-technique end in New York, lacking physicality for Rex Ryan's defense.

Source:   Adam Caplan on twitter

dmajik85

Hall of Famer
#41 : March 05, 2011, 01:52:45 AM

The kid has what you can't coach out, which is softness. We've all heard the Tarzan/Jane comments about him. Maybe he's worth bringing in for a workout and incentive-based deal, but I don't really think there's much hope of him becoming a quality pass rusher.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#42 : March 05, 2011, 04:10:39 PM

Former No. 6 overall pick Vernon Gholston passed through waivers Thursday, making him an unrestricted free agent.
Gholston, 25, figures to get at least one more shot, but no one was going to claim him off waivers because of an impending $2.5 million roster bonus. 4-3 teams may give Gholston a look as a base defensive end, a position at which he starred at Ohio State. He was miscast at outside linebacker and five-technique end in New York, lacking physicality for Rex Ryan's defense.

When does this come off - after he clears waivers - or does he have to await June/new CBO?

Incomparable sig by Incognito

LABuc

Starter

#43 : March 05, 2011, 04:19:32 PM

When does this come off - after he clears waivers - or does he have to await June/new CBO?

My understanding is that if someone claims him of waivers, THAT new team is responsible for the $2.5 million roster bonus against their cap space. Since he cleared waivers, the Jets are responsible for that $2.5M and he now is available at whatever we can negotiate with him should we choose to sign him.

Derrick Brooks, NFL Hall of Fame Class of 2014.

abellwillring

Second String

#44 : March 06, 2011, 01:23:33 AM

He would immediately be the best DE on the Bucs if they picked him up.   But the Glazers are too cheap.

I have to assume this was sarcasm and/or some sort of inside joke because if not, it's the dumbest thing I've ever read on here.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gholston to be released « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools