Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Packers cut AJ Hawk « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

FilthyRich

Rookie

: March 02, 2011, 05:24:12 PM

Per Adam Schefter on Twitter

Captain Hindsight

Hall of Famer

#1 : March 02, 2011, 05:26:01 PM

AJ Hawk was essentially the Barrett Ruud of the Packers.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#2 : March 02, 2011, 05:27:22 PM

Hawk is better than Rudd. He's not great, but he's more physical. I'd take him as insurance in case Ruud leaves and nobody else steps up.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#3 : March 02, 2011, 05:47:32 PM

Disagree Captain Hindsight.

Seems like a lot of packer fans are sad to see him go.

He clears 10mil off the packers book and there may be a long term deal coming.

He isn't great in coverage but is a lot more physical than Ruud.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#4 : March 02, 2011, 06:01:29 PM

This.

Ruud's coverage ability is over rated though, so I don't see a huge drop off in that area. Hawk sure as heck will throw his body around and take on RBs head on though.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#5 : March 02, 2011, 06:04:17 PM

Hawk is fair game right now since he got cut.

Dominick should give his agent an inquiring call.

I'd be happier to see Tampa pay Hawk than If they paid Ruud.

BucsNoles

Second String

#6 : March 02, 2011, 06:05:20 PM

I would take him.

"Doesn't matter how you start but how you finish."

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#7 : March 02, 2011, 06:06:05 PM

This.

Ruud's coverage ability is over rated though, so I don't see a huge drop off in that area. Hawk sure as heck will throw his body around and take on RBs head on though.

Also,

Hawk is versatile because he was drafted to be an OLB when they ran the 4-3.

Another perk.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#8 : March 02, 2011, 06:07:45 PM

AJ Hawk was essentially the Barrett Ruud of the Packers.
when was Ruud a starter on a Super Bowl winning team?  In 2010 GB was 2nd in pts allowed and 5th in yards.  In 2009 they were 2nd in yards allowed and #1 against the run.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#9 : March 02, 2011, 06:12:08 PM

More competition on the open market for the quarterback of our defense.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#10 : March 02, 2011, 06:18:10 PM

In Hawk's short career he has played for 3 different defensive coordinators and has had to shift positions and schemes several times.

He has started all but three games during his career.

Those three missed starts came when Green Bay opened in a nickel defense (Again, he isn't great in coverage)

Really shined playing alongside Desmond Bishop (hmmm..)

Captain Hindsight

Hall of Famer

#11 : March 02, 2011, 06:25:17 PM

Hawk is better than Rudd. He's not great, but he's more physical. I'd take him as insurance in case Ruud leaves and nobody else steps up.

What made you change your mind from 5 months ago?
AJ Hawk would be an ugrade over our current depth....not our starters.

I like the guy and would love to see him in Tampa, but he hasn't proven anything in the NFL. No say he is better than Ruud is ignorant. Ruud has put two great years of film on tape. He had one bad year last year on a **CENSORED**ty defense run by Bates and now he sucks? Get a clue. Ruud is not Ray Lewis, but who is? Ruud is still a top 15 MLB in this league. AJ Hawk is not.

As far as Hawk being an all pro in a 4-3 defense...he was the weakside LB and then MLB in Greenbay his first three years. They just switched to a 3-4 last year, which he doesn't really fit, which is probably why he's not getting playing time and wants a trade.

I think he is a solid LB but not as good as the 5th overall pick is suppose to be. I'd love to see him here as depth and competing for a starters job, but there is noway in hell we'd be better off straight up replacing Ruud, Hayes, or Black, with him.

SunnyD?

Agreed Boid.

A.J. Hawk gets called out for the exact same flaws that Ruud does.

No splash plays, not physical enough.

He isn't an upgrade over any starting linebacker on the roster.

Not trying to call everyone out, it just seems like a sudden change of heart. I'm curious as to what caused it? Everyone was scoffing at the notion of Hawk being better than Ruud mere months ago. http://www.pewterreport.com/Boards/index.php/topic,1250000.15.html
: March 02, 2011, 06:26:58 PM Captain Hindsight

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#12 : March 02, 2011, 06:28:36 PM

Agreed Boid.

A.J. Hawk gets called out for the exact same flaws that Ruud does.

No splash plays, not physical enough.

He isn't an upgrade over any starting linebacker on the roster.

Hawk had an awesome year this year.

Hence my change of heart

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#13 : March 02, 2011, 06:30:19 PM

What changed my opinion? I actually watched him this year....did you? After watching Hawk and Ruud all year I can say with confidence that Hawk is the better football player.

Also, being better than Ruud doesn't make him great. I say sign him now if possible as a safety net in case Ruud leaves and nobody else steps up at MLB.

Captain Hindsight

Hall of Famer

#14 : March 02, 2011, 06:45:30 PM

Hawk wouldn't be any better than Ruud in a 4-3 defense, as he's shown in the past.

From a Packers fan
I didn't like him when he played LB in the 4-3. He can't cover RBs and TEs man-to-man.

His greatest asset to us is that he's assignment sure, and has great command of our scheme.

I only see him drawing interest of 3-4 teams that need a playcaller and tend to play zone. He's not a great blitzer, he's not a great thumper, and he isn't very athletic.

But, as I said, he's incredibly bright, he commands the defense very well, and he's ok to good at everything.

Sound like anyone familiar?

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Packers cut AJ Hawk « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools