Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Packers cut AJ Hawk « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

anterrabae33

Hall of Famer

#30 : March 02, 2011, 11:28:46 PM

I don't mind Hawk as a player, but if we ARE going to replace Ruud, I want someone who is an overall better player in all aspects not someone who is a little better than Ruud.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#31 : March 02, 2011, 11:33:22 PM

After reading the reports about it, I don't think we will get him. Greenbay cut him because he was due $10 million, but they have every intention of resigning him. So I think he will resign, but if he doesn't want to resign with the team that drafted him and just won a Super Bowl, then he is trying to cash in and get a big contract...which he isn't worth and we wouldn't give him. Either way I don't see him coming to Tampa.

michael89156

Hall of Famer

#32 : March 02, 2011, 11:34:41 PM

Packers released ILB AJ Hawk.

ESPN's Adam Schefter broke the news, and shortly thereafter predicted that Hawk would "return (to Green Bay) with a new deal -- soon." The Packers simply had to make the move now, or risk having to guarantee Hawk $10 million for the 2011 season. Unlike players with expiring contracts, however, Hawk is free to sign elsewhere immediately and will certainly want to max out his earnings. He led the Super Bowl champs in tackles last year.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#33 : March 02, 2011, 11:43:09 PM

annndddd he is a Packer again.

5 year deal

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#34 : March 02, 2011, 11:45:09 PM

this thread is telling... and has me thinking about how much we overvalue our linebackers in this system.

All they do is 'clean up'.   The real deal is our front four and the back four.   Especially in this day of throwing the ball.

We just have to ensure these 3 guys can cover the edges and fill their run fits.   The DBs and the Dline are the real force in our defense.

Give me guys that can do their job in the middle.   The dline and dbacks are where we need to have the real talent in this system. 

(whew - got that off my chest.)

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

michael89156

Hall of Famer

#35 : March 03, 2011, 12:06:24 AM

annndddd he is a Packer again.

5 year deal

Citing two sources, TMJ 4 Milwaukee reports that free agent AJ Hawk will re-sign with the Packers on Thursday.
Cut Wednesday to avoid a guaranteed $10 million salary, Hawk will reportedly fly back to Green Bay on Thursday and sign a five-year contract. Hawk apparently never even considered other teams; after his release he could've immediately begun taking free agent visits around the league. If the report is correct, the Packers may wind up parting ways with Nick Barnett.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#36 : March 03, 2011, 12:54:14 AM

We just have to ensure these 3 guys can cover the edges and fill their run fits.   

And all ours are apparently pretty bad at that

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#37 : March 03, 2011, 12:56:29 AM

Overrated. Would rather keep Ruud for less money

notabucsfan

Hall of Famer

#38 : March 03, 2011, 01:08:12 AM

Overrated. Would rather keep Ruud for less money

Thats not going to happen.. could of probably got Hawk for lesser of a contract.. Ruud says he wants Bart Scott type of money.

JDog

Hall of Famer

#39 : March 03, 2011, 06:09:53 AM

Hawk wouldn't be any better than Ruud in a 4-3 defense, as he's shown in the past.

From a Packers fan
I didn't like him when he played LB in the 4-3. He can't cover RBs and TEs man-to-man.

His greatest asset to us is that he's assignment sure, and has great command of our scheme.

I only see him drawing interest of 3-4 teams that need a playcaller and tend to play zone. He's not a great blitzer, he's not a great thumper, and he isn't very athletic.

But, as I said, he's incredibly bright, he commands the defense very well, and he's ok to good at everything.

Sound like anyone familiar?

All white linebackers?

OneTruth

Pro Bowler

#40 : March 03, 2011, 06:19:44 AM

would rather continue building thriough the draft

JDog

Hall of Famer

#41 : March 03, 2011, 06:33:19 AM

They have ALWAYS tried to build through the draft.   I can't ever remember a year where they didn't take their draft picks.

champkind

Hall of Famer

#42 : March 03, 2011, 08:01:42 AM

could of probably got Hawk for lesser of a contract..

Why do people say things like this. All indications are that he never intended to leave GB and they never intended to let him go.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#43 : March 03, 2011, 08:31:30 AM

Well when Hawks contract details are leaked, we will know exactly what Ruud is worth. Ruud certainly doesn't deserve a penny more than Hawk just got.

michael89156

Hall of Famer

#44 : March 03, 2011, 12:24:42 PM

Well when Hawks contract details are leaked, we will know exactly what Ruud is worth. Ruud certainly doesn't deserve a penny more than Hawk just got.

Hawk's deal is expected to be worth $30-35 million over five years

Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel      Mar 3, 10:40 AM
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Packers cut AJ Hawk « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools