Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mayock's top 5 by position - Updated 3/07/11 - Post Combine « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

: March 07, 2011, 01:07:38 PM

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81dd8ff0/article/underclassmen-prevalent-among-top-five-per-position

Underclassmen prevalent among top five per position

By Mike Mayock NFL Network
Updated: March 7, 2011 at 12:43 p.m.

With the combine complete, here is my latest look at the top five prospects by position (underclassmen are indicated by a *).

Quarterback:

*1. Blaine Gabbert, Missouri
2. Jake Locker, Washington
*3. Cam Newton, Auburn
*4. Ryan Mallett, Arkansas
5. Christian Ponder, Florida State

Running back:

*1. Mark Ingram, Alabama
2. Daniel Thomas, Kansas State
*3. Mikel LeShoure, Illinois
*4. Ryan Williams, Virginia Tech
5. Kendall Hunter, Oklahoma State
Wide receiver:

*1. A.J. Green, Georgia
*2. Julio Jones, Alabama
*3. Torrey Smith, Maryland
*4. Jonathan Baldwin, Pittsburgh
T-5. Titus Young, Boise State
*T-5. Randall Cobb, Kentucky

Tight end:

*1. Kyle Rudolph, Notre Dame
2. Lance Kendricks, Wisconsin
3. Luke Stocker, Tennessee
4. D.J. Williams, Arkansas
5. Virgil Green, Nevada

Guard/center:

1. Mike Pouncey, Florida
2. Danny Watkins, Baylor
3. Clint Boling, Georgia
4. Marcus Cannon, TCU
5. Rodney Hudson, Florida State

Tackle:

1. Anthony Castanzo, Boston College
*2. Tyron Smith, Southern California
3. Gabe Carimi, Wisconsin
4. Nate Solder, Colorado
T-5. Ben Ijalana, Villanova
T-5. Derek Sherrod, Mississippi State

Defensive end:

*1. Robert Quinn, North Carolina
*2. Da'Quan Bowers, Clemson
*3. J.J. Watt, Wisconsin
4. Adrian Clayborn, Iowa
5. Cameron Jordan, California

Defensive tackle:

*1. Marcell Dareus, Alabama
*2. Nick Fairley, Auburn
*3. Muhammad Wilkerson, Temple
*4. Corey Liuget, Illinois
5. Stephen Paea, Oregon State

Outside Linebacker:

1. Von Miller, Texas A&M
*2. Akeem Ayers, UCLA
*3. Justin Houston, Georgia
4. Bruce Carter, North Carolina
5. Chris Carter, Fresno State

Inside Linebacker:

*1. Martez Wilson, Illinois
2. Colin McCarthy, Miami (Fla.)
3. Quan Sturdivant, North Carolina
4. Casey Matthews, Oregon
5. Kelvin Sheppard, LSU

Cornerback:

*1. Patrick Peterson, LSU
2. Prince Amukamara, Nebraska
*3. Aaron Williams, Texas
4. Jimmy Smith, Colorado
*5. Brandon Harris, Miami (Fla.)

Safety:

*1. Rahim Moore, UCLA
2. Ahmad Black, Florida
3. Marcus Gilchrist, Clemson
4. Quinton Carter, Oklahoma
* 5. Tyler Sash, Iowa

acooke2

Rookie

#1 : March 07, 2011, 01:22:59 PM

I'm so back and forth on clayborn, went from being obsessed with em after his junior year, to following the trend of the board regarding his lackluster senior year and wanted to stay away. I've heard all the cons (average combine, injured right arm, lack of effort, pulling out of the senior bowl), but now with Mayock (by far the most respected draft evaluator) having him as his 4th best DE, I once again am intrigued. Not saying I want him as the pick, but with Mayock having him that high...there has to be something us as fans are missing.

acooke2

Rookie

#2 : March 07, 2011, 01:25:50 PM

Also, have researched every ILB on his list except McCarthy...where did he come from? Have not heard anyone on this board tootin this kid's horn.  PR can't seriously believe the top rated ILB (wilson) lasts until the 20th pick of the 2nd round, but what about this kid?

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer

#3 : March 07, 2011, 01:26:38 PM

A lot of "experts" are high on Clayborn. Some sites still predict him being the Bucs pick at 20.

Almost everybody on this board is against drafting Clayborn. Am I missing something?

Green Right Slot, Albacore 3 Y Quesadilla

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#4 : March 07, 2011, 01:31:19 PM

We're all a bit worried he'll bust big time. At least I am. His work ethic has been sited as lackluster and there are so many DE with high talent, high motor and high work ethic such as Ryan Kerrigan or JJ Watt just to name a few that we could take.

I don' see the reason to take what i perceive as a chance on this guy when we don't have to.

He had a great Junior year and was said to be a top 5 overall pick if he left Iowa. If you go off of most recent tape there isn't much to get excited about. People that have us taking him at 20 seem to talk about what he did last year, not this year.

My personal opinion is that he'll draft to the mid 2nd round or later.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

Captain Hindsight

Hall of Famer

#5 : March 07, 2011, 01:59:03 PM

A lot of "experts" are high on Clayborn. Some sites still predict him being the Bucs pick at 20.

Almost everybody on this board is against drafting Clayborn. Am I missing something?

It's because of his most recent production and his body type -- at least for me, I don't think it's misguided to have some reservations despite what the professional draft gurus are saying.

champkind

Hall of Famer

#6 : March 07, 2011, 02:07:53 PM

It's because of his most recent production and his body type -- at least for me, I don't think it's misguided to have some reservations despite what the professional draft gurus are saying.

The reason the "gurus" have him ranked highly is because they dont have to worry about actually being right. There is no consequence to them if he busts. We, as fans, and hopefully the team, are very concerned because he looks like the stereotype of a bust.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#7 : March 07, 2011, 02:12:06 PM

average combine, lack of effort

He had a solid combine and had the best shuttle time of all DL.  His 10-yard split was only .01 more than Kerrigan at 15 more pounds.
I'm not sure where all the lack of effort talk comes from, but I disagree.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#8 : March 07, 2011, 02:16:57 PM

According to Rob Rang with nfldraftscout.com:

"Some have pegged Clayborn as a falling prospect this season because his production didn't match his incredible 2009 season. In reality, the Iowa coaching staff asked him to play the gaps, rather than rush upfield, limiting the number of impact plays he made himself. Clayborn's unselfish play translates well to the Chargers' scheme."

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#9 : March 07, 2011, 02:23:01 PM

What's the scoop with Colin McCarthy?

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

#10 : March 07, 2011, 03:08:41 PM

McCarthy's from Clearwater - Clearwater Central Catholic HS.

I have heard mixed things on him, but I think his rise is due to the lack of middle linebackers and a solid combine which showed him to be more athletic than anticipated - that's my guess at least.

As for Clayborn, I hear a lot of "bad work ethic" on these boards, but not really anywhere else. Most sites praise his non-stop motor - hard to have both bad work ethic and a non-stop motor. He was a team captain at Iowa, and they usually don't hand those out to loafers.

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#11 : March 07, 2011, 03:15:43 PM

McCarthy's listed weight of 240 is deceiving. He looks 220 and plays like he's 200.

I like Sturdivant as the best fit and value of the MLBs.

bucjoe

Hall of Famer
#12 : March 07, 2011, 03:22:07 PM

I'm so back and forth on clayborn, went from being obsessed with em after his junior year, to following the trend of the board regarding his lackluster senior year and wanted to stay away. I've heard all the cons (average combine, injured right arm, lack of effort, pulling out of the senior bowl), but now with Mayock (by far the most respected draft evaluator) having him as his 4th best DE, I once again am intrigued. Not saying I want him as the pick, but with Mayock having him that high...there has to be something us as fans are missing.

I think Mayock is the best.  However, he sometimes makes some evaluations that are simply not understandable.  He thought McCoy was better than Suh, despite the fact that, in the same conference Suh had almost as many sacks and tackles his senior year alone as McCoy had his entire career.  He also praised Robert Ayers to the skies and had him as a top prospect DESPITE his low production during his college career.  He did it almost EXCLUSIVELY based on his performances at the Senior Bowl and Combine.  Robert Ayers, in the NFL has performed just as he did in college, not the way he performed at the Senior Bowl and Combine.

.....just my opinion

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

#13 : March 07, 2011, 03:40:46 PM

Yeah, nobody bats 1.000 at this game - I like Mayock too, but he has his share of head scratchers.

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#14 : March 07, 2011, 03:53:39 PM

Ayers was the victim of a foolish position change to LB. Fox is moving him back to DE where he belongs. Ayers in the poster child for people to knock Mayock, but it's unfounded as of right now.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mayock's top 5 by position - Updated 3/07/11 - Post Combine « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools