Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Down goes NPR « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 7

bucpimpin

Pro Bowler
: March 08, 2011, 01:15:47 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thecutline/20110308/ts_yblog_thecutline/npr-appalled-by-former-execs-comments

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#1 : March 08, 2011, 04:56:00 PM

Guess Voice of America is next.

Too bad. 

Makes sense if we're in a budget crisis.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#2 : March 11, 2011, 09:13:19 PM

They and anyone else is entitled to their opinion.  Although I don't agree with it.  I wouldn't want them off the air but how about supporting themselves?

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#3 : March 11, 2011, 09:31:06 PM

Can't happen soon enough

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#4 : March 11, 2011, 10:52:31 PM

I wouldn't want them off the air but how about supporting themselves?

And therein lies the problem.  When lefty radio has to support themselves, they fold.  Capitalism isn't their friend.  They would rather take other people's money than earn it on their own.  See Air America.

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

#5 : March 11, 2011, 11:04:09 PM

I wonder where the distinction lies between "lefty radio" and "the liberal media".

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

#6 : March 11, 2011, 11:09:21 PM

Since so many are frothing at the mouth to remove subsidies then eliminating tax exempt status for church's would naturally follow suit.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#7 : March 11, 2011, 11:14:43 PM

I wonder where the distinction lies between "lefty radio" and "the liberal media".

Are you unfamiliar with television ratings?

Since so many are frothing at the mouth to remove subsidies then eliminating tax exempt status for church's would naturally follow suit.

On what planet does that leap of logic occur?

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

#8 : March 11, 2011, 11:35:08 PM

Are you unfamiliar with television ratings?

So National Public Radio is driven by television ratings now?

Leap of logic?
So tax exempt status isn't a subsidy?

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

#9 : March 11, 2011, 11:46:08 PM

They and anyone else is entitled to their opinion.  Although I don't agree with it.  I wouldn't want them off the air but how about supporting themselves?

The overwhelming majority of money used to fund NPR doesn't come from the Federal government ...

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#10 : March 11, 2011, 11:49:49 PM

Great - then it will never be missed and Congress need not spend the money the don't allocate to NPR and its' affiliated stations

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

#11 : March 12, 2011, 12:02:50 AM

Earth ...

It's millions and millions of dollars of revenue that could be put to use at all levels of government ....

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

#12 : March 12, 2011, 12:09:15 AM

Earth ...

It's millions and millions of dollars of revenue that could be put to use at all levels of government ....
That's exactly what it is.

But those opposed to that won't admit that it really boils down to an issue of ideology.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#13 : March 12, 2011, 12:16:25 AM

The overwhelming majority of money used to fund NPR doesn't come from the Federal government ...

Yes,  true,  but they get a lot of dough from state and local goverments.  Why should they get any money from any goverment level?
There was an article in USA Today on Friday laying that out.  I don't link stuff, but its on their website.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#14 : March 12, 2011, 12:33:26 AM

Earth ...

That's exactly what it is.

But those opposed to that won't admit that it really boils down to an issue of ideology.
It could be as simple as those being opposed don't think ANY level of Government should be spending tax dollars to support a Radio network.  Frankly, that is my thought. 

Page: 1 2 3 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Down goes NPR « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools