Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Yucc's Mock Draft Version 3.0 « previous next »
Page: 1 2

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
: March 10, 2011, 05:21:10 AM

With the NFL Combine over and Pro Day workouts under way here is my third version of my 2011 mock draft.

1. Aldon Smith DE Missouri 6-foot-4 263-pounds - Everyone and their grandmother knows the Bucs are desperate for help off the edges. Drafting Smith continues a two yer long tradition of draft Big 12 players with the teams first round draft pick. Smith is an athletic freak who when healthy can apply pressure and force the quarterback to step up in the pocket where the team first and second round picks from last year will be waiting.

2. Ras-I Dowling CB Virgina 6-foot-1 198-pounds - Dowling can player either corner or safety and brings a presences to the secondary. Allowing him to learn under Barber for one year will only expedite his growth.

3. Mason Foster LB Washington 6-foot-1 245-pounds - Foster can play all three linebacker spots and offers the team insurance in case they don't resign Ruud or Hayes starts out slow for a second straight year.

4. Greg Romeus DE Pittsburgh 6-foot-5 264-pounds - Can play either right or left defensive end. Solid frame. Strong collegiate resume if not for last season injuries.

5. Derek Newton T Arkansas State 6-foot-6 311-pounds - Big mobile tackle that has the frame to add more to. Should eb able to provide depth at either tackle spot while he develops.

6. Schuylar Oordt TE Northern Iowa 6-foot-6 261-pounds - Well round tight end that can both stretch the field and be an effective blocker in the run game.

7. Ray Dominquez G Arkansas 6-foot-4 334-pounds - Big guard who has experience playing space effective pass protector and decent run blocker has the size and skill set to become a quality starter.
: March 10, 2011, 05:22:53 AM yuccaneers

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#1 : March 10, 2011, 07:44:32 AM

I really like your 2nd and 3rd round selections.  Personally I would prefer Houston over Smith.  I think he is more NFL ready and his ceiling is just as high talent wise.  The only thing Smith has on him is length.  But I do see the potential/value taking him but he just scares me.  I can see the value taking Romues in the 4th.  I think he would have gone in the 2nd last year, although I never thought Everson Griffen would have lasted to the 4th.  Not too familar with the rest but they are positions I'd like to see addressed.  I'll have to do some research on them.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#2 : March 10, 2011, 08:20:01 AM

Sold!   

Very high on Oordt.   That kid is huge.

(although I'd look at an 3rd down RB in the 5th.)  ;)

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#3 : March 10, 2011, 08:38:45 AM

Not bad but I think I'd rather pass on Dowling and get an offensive lineman earlier.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#4 : March 10, 2011, 08:42:19 AM

Well if Sherrod falls to the middle of the second. I would have no problem taking him over Dowling and switching Newton for a CB  like Korey Lindsey or Justin Rogers or  if a player such as Carmichael  fell to the fifth.
: March 10, 2011, 08:44:40 AM yuccaneers

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#5 : March 10, 2011, 08:47:02 AM

looks like Derek Newton got the size and measurables to play in the league.  5.00 40 is very nice.  Looks to need some improvement in the strength department.  Might be able to play either side at T or even RG.  Seems like a solid 5th round pick.  Saw one scouting report on him that said ZBS only.

Ray Dominquez seems to be a solid run blocker with the size and strength to get push.  Not a good athlete.  Mix reviews on his pass blocking and movement skills.  Seems worthy of a 7th since he started 3 years in the SEC.  Not sure he's a potential starter.

Schuylar Oordt-had  good measurables at the combine.  nice size and speed.  could be a diamond in the rough.

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#6 : March 10, 2011, 08:53:03 AM

Skull - Dominquez played out of position at LT at Arkansas and is better suited to play guard at the pro level. He protected Mallet's blind side and was athletic enough against SEC competition to allow Mallet to but up numbers. His ability in pass protection is better then whats being reported and as you mentioned he has the size to get push at the POA.

Oliver Goldsmith

conrad77

Pro Bowler

#7 : March 10, 2011, 09:36:22 AM

Honestly, one of the best mocks I have seen on this board.  Not my ultimate draft, but I would be really pleased if it goes down this way.  Nice job

[Add witty one liner here]

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#8 : March 10, 2011, 09:46:41 AM

Great Mock! I had one earlier that was pretty similar, except I have Jerrell Jerrigans the WR from Troy in the 2nd and Casey Matthews as the LB in the 3rd. I do think WR or CB is where the value is at in the 2nd round of this draft though, and I like Dowling a lot.

Still even though everyone thinks I'm crazy for wanting another WR, I think we'd get more bang for our buck with Jerrigan who is a great YAC guy, can return kicks, and can stretch the field with pure speed.

http://www.pewterreport.com/Boards/index.php/topic,1278647.0.html

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#9 : March 10, 2011, 10:01:32 AM

Oordt's profile from CBS...

Did pretty well in the combine - can put on some weight.   Great developmental pick in my mind...

In today's NFL, tight ends often look like tall or big wide receivers. Oordt fits into the former category, barely filling out his 6-foot-6 frame in a way reminiscent of current or recent NFL tight ends Ben Utecht, Evan Moore and Bryan Fletcher.

Oordt did not play every down even for Northern Iowa, only starting eight games over his first three seasons. His production increased over each of those years: 12-233-1 in 2007, 12-233-3 in 2008 and 18-358-5 in 2009 as a second-team All-Missouri Valley selection. He had his best season as senior, 24-405-5 with eight starts, but still only received honorable-mention all-conference.

The four-sport high school athlete often looks like a basketball player on the field, which limits his ability to be a blocker at the next level. His excellent speed and receiving abilities, however, would make him a matchup nightmare as a reserve at the next level. If Oordt is not drafted, teams using his sort of athleticism will be trying hard to bring him to camp.

Analysis
Strengths: Height and straight-line speed allow him to stretch the field vertically. Soft hands allow him to snatch balls from the air. Tracks balls either over shoulder. Can out-run most linebackers and go up over the top of most safeties. Good footwork on routes despite his height, can free himself from man coverage or get to holes in zones early. Lines up with his hand down and as an H-back, though his best NFL position will be in the slot. Good character, has done quite a bit of community service work. Gave proceeds from team t-shirt sales (legal per NCAA) to young boy in need of a service dog.

Weaknesses: Lanky receiver build. Lack of strength is a major issue. Stiff and weak in pass protection, gives good effort to mirror his man but will be out-quicked and fails to get his hands on the numbers. Blocks with a narrow base. Did not start as often as you'd think because of his inability to move players in the run game. Must also prove he can hold onto the ball after big contact from veteran NFL defenders.

--Chad Reuter

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#10 : March 10, 2011, 10:07:16 AM

BucsPirate1 - I personally like Jernigan, but think there are two very comparable receivers that could be had in the 4-7 round range in Cecil Shorts, of Mount Union and Edmund Gates, of Abilene Christian that offer the same abilities and would not cost as much as Jernigan would cost to draft in the second or third round depending on where he is ultimately drafted.

Oliver Goldsmith

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#11 : March 10, 2011, 10:17:34 AM

Don't we need our back up tight ends to be true two-way players, though? We know we're not putting Winslow on the line in blocking situations, do we really want another player who is a liability running the ball?

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#12 : March 10, 2011, 10:26:32 AM

BucsPirate1 - I personally like Jernigan, but think there are two very comparable receivers that could be had in the 4-7 round range in Cecil Shorts, of Mount Union and Edmund Gates, of Abilene Christian that offer the same abilities and would not cost as much as Jernigan would cost to draft in the second or third round depending on where he is ultimately drafted.

Fair enough. I don't know much about either of those players except that Gates tested really well at the combine. I like that Jerrigan has played against much tougher competition, and really had to carry his team in some big games. If you watch the highlights of his bowl game where he put up 330 total yards you can see him fighting exhaustion at the end of the game because everyone on the field knew the ball was going to him. I don't know that Gates or Shorts have ever had their toughness tested like that.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#13 : March 10, 2011, 11:16:33 AM

Pretty good. I see Das-I fitting well at FS here.

Ramonb

Pro Bowler

#14 : March 10, 2011, 02:17:56 PM

I have a feeling Romeus will be gone by our pick in the 4th, need to use the 3rd if we want him.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Yucc's Mock Draft Version 3.0 « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools