Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: MEGA EARTHQUAKE HITS JAPAN, WEST COAST U.S. UNDER TSUNAMI WARNING. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#30 : March 12, 2011, 04:18:03 PM

: March 12, 2011, 04:20:06 PM John Galt?

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#31 : March 12, 2011, 04:35:15 PM

I don't know that earthquakes work on a schedule to the point one could say they're overdue.  I do think one could opine the chance of an earthquake it constant for those on fault lines. I didn't know and hadn't heard the nuclear power plants were ON a fault line.  Are you sure that is accurate?

In Oregon and Washington, they have studied the rock formations and dug into the ground and such. And they found evidence of the seabed measured about every 300 or so years going back several thousand years suggesting a major tsunami hit around those time frames almost like clockwork. The last one was nearly 300 years ago.

Tsunami could occur most anywhere - and hit Oregon or Washington - earthquakes could have been most anywhere - wonder if their study indicated the tsunami was so severe there that the quake epicenter had to be nearby, or if geographic conditions are susceptible to the tsunami...

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#32 : March 12, 2011, 04:44:07 PM

Why do all these people keep predicting the end of the world? Doesn't the bible say "
"Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away. No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father."
If the world does indeed end on may 21st 2011. Then so be it. Certainly the recent events around the world, would leave me to believe we have already been left behind.

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#33 : March 12, 2011, 05:11:42 PM

The geological time comparison I recognize, the 300 year reoccurrence on a regular basis threw me.  Thanks Cyber - didn't know that one.  I will check that out as it is interesting - did you have a good link on that one?

Lot of research has centered on the Cascadia Subduction Zone which is a fault system between the Pacific plate, North American plate and the Juan de Fuca plate and located about a hundred miles off the Oregon/Washington coast. Basically the North American Plate is pushing towards the Pacific plate and the small, thin Juan de Fuca plate is stuck in between which causes it to get pushed under the North American plate. These plates frequently become locked which leads to a build-up of pressure over hundreds of years. When they finally slip, it triggers a massive subduction earthquake that can register over a 9.0 in magnitude.

You can find lots of info just by googling "Cascadia subduction zone."

http://www.registerguard.com/web/newslocalnews/25992672-46/earthquake-cascadia-oregon-coast-emergency.html.csp
http://www.livescience.com/3775-tsunami-generating-earthquake-possibly-imminent.html
http://seismo.berkeley.edu/annual_report/ar99_00/node28.html
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/research/structure/crust/cascadia.php

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#34 : March 12, 2011, 05:23:59 PM

Looks like we are approaching the end times.

Yeah, nothing like this has ever happened before... http://lowery.tamu.edu/personal/songs/hurricane/thestorm/1900strm.htm

When are we not "approaching the end times?" When are there not earthquakes and tidal waves?

This one isn't nearly as bad as bad as earthquakes centuries ago - as far back as the yr 1100......
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0884804.html

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#35 : March 12, 2011, 05:35:37 PM

I still say the one 251 million years ago (volcanic eruption and earthquakes) was worse.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#36 : March 12, 2011, 06:30:52 PM

thanks cyber

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Vatican_Assassin

Pro Bowler

#37 : March 12, 2011, 06:51:31 PM

There is also a major fault line that runs through Chicago called the New Madrid fault line. Of course, Chicago is right next to Lake Michigan. If there was a quake big enough it could cause a tidal wave that could wipe out Chicago and on down. It's something that's been on the radar for years.
: March 12, 2011, 06:54:28 PM TBbuccaneer40

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#38 : March 12, 2011, 06:54:52 PM

http://www.earthquakevideos.us/earthquake-prediction-san-andreas-cascadia-faults-link-chemtrails-not-good/
http://www.nextearthquake.com/

If you're interest cyber - here's what some folks are PREDICTING about Cascadia region now

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#39 : March 12, 2011, 07:58:54 PM

There has been a LOT of EQs lately.  This one by far and away the worst.  Wonder how this one will be received by the world...Haiti was bad, and was met with a tremendous amount of sympathy.  But will it have gotten the same attention that a world economic superpower receive?

Before anyone gets odd, I am half, and my mother has friends and relatives in Japan.  What is happening there is absolutely unfathomable, but Mother Nature will wipe away a lot of work in mere seconds.  All of us know this.  But to watch the live footage was absolutely horrifying.  With all this stuff happening, should we be concerned about all the "doom and gloom" prophecies? Or is this another example of a random Mother Nature incident?

I know one thing for sure...eventually, this planet will die.  Maybe not for a long time, but it will...

Boid, I was in the Mexico City earthquake http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985_Mexico_City_earthquake which was an 8.1. It is/was indescribable while it happened and the carnage and smell of death that permeated the city was incredible. And I have no idea if now with all of these events happening, that it is the end of times, I'm hoping that with the internet the way it is, we just know everything instantly and with so much information we are overloaded.

http://www.tinyvital.com/images/mexcity1985/index.html

: March 12, 2011, 08:04:53 PM Rusty

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

Vatican_Assassin

Pro Bowler

#40 : March 12, 2011, 09:05:55 PM

Ironically, I am. Everyone who knows me has heard the phrase "Oh yeah? We'll see who's ready when the zombies come!" more times than they care to. However, your inclination to assume that a natural disaster constitutes a sign of the impending apocalypse is a clear case of confirmation bias. It makes you look silly, really.

Im not saying that this one natural disaster constitutes it being the end times, but that many that have happened this past decade and the some of this magnitude brings about some concern. I do NOT believe that the world is going to end on May 19th, for there is a lot that still has to take place before that happens. But it doesn't mean that a major event won't take place. Oh wait, it just so happens a major event WILL take place. Some of you may already know that on May 19th of this year, which is next week, an event called a "Super Moon" will take place. An "extreme supermoon" occurs when the Earth's natural satellite reaches its absolute closest point. On March 19, the moon will be only 221,556 miles away - the first extreme super - moon in nearly 20 years. Previous supermoons - or "lunar perigees" - happened in 1955, 1974, 1992 and 2005. Each year had extreme weather events. According to experts, an "extreme Super Moon" could trigger Earthquakes, Volcanic eruptions and other events. Now in regards to 2012, I do NOT believe the world will end. But again, it doesn't mean a major event won't happen, such as a massive solar flare eruption, which many scientist and astrologers agree will happen around that date predicted by the Myans, December 21st. I don't believe we'll light up like Roman Candles when this takes place. But it could do a lot of damage such as knocking out the power grid, which would definetly cause A LOT of havoc. I just wish I new the date and time the Zombie apocalypse will take place. All I know is that I'm ready. I got my cardio built up, remember to double tap, I'm staying clear of public restrooms and I remember to ALWAYS check the back seat.

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

#41 : March 12, 2011, 11:44:42 PM

Ironically, I am. Everyone who knows me has heard the phrase "Oh yeah? We'll see who's ready when the zombies come!" more times than they care to. However, your inclination to assume that a natural disaster constitutes a sign of the impending apocalypse is a clear case of confirmation bias. It makes you look silly, really.

Im not saying that this one natural disaster constitutes it being the end times, but that many that have happened this past decade and the some of this magnitude brings about some concern. I do NOT believe that the world is going to end on May 19th, for there is a lot that still has to take place before that happens.
Good, because you have an extra couple of days to get your affairs in order. It's May 21st ....

Some of you may already know that on May 19th of this year, which is next week,
Are you a Time Traveller?

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#42 : March 13, 2011, 01:21:45 AM

Anyone up for a bank robbery on may 20th?

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#43 : March 13, 2011, 08:29:30 AM

Some are estimating the death toll go over 10,000.

Vatican_Assassin

Pro Bowler

#44 : March 13, 2011, 10:11:34 AM

Im not saying that this one natural disaster constitutes it being the end times, but that many that have happened this past decade and the some of this magnitude brings about some concern. I do NOT believe that the world is going to end on May 19th, for there is a lot that still has to take place before that happens.
Good, because you have an extra couple of days to get your affairs in order. It's May 21st ....

Some of you may already know that on May 19th of this year, which is next week,
Are you a Time Traveller?

Oh snap! My bad! It's March 19th............Smart a$$!
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: MEGA EARTHQUAKE HITS JAPAN, WEST COAST U.S. UNDER TSUNAMI WARNING. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools