Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: MEGA EARTHQUAKE HITS JAPAN, WEST COAST U.S. UNDER TSUNAMI WARNING. « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5

TBbuccaneer40

Pro Bowler

#60 : March 16, 2011, 08:06:30 AM

Geologist Jim Berkland predicts major North American quake between March 19th to 26th

Earthquake forcaster Jim Berkland warns of a 'high risk'

seismic window and potential for a massive quake

poised to strike somewhere in North America in

between the dates of March 19th and 26th.

Berkland points to the recent mass fish die-off

at King Harbor near Redondo Beach as a harbringer

of a potential catastrophic quake in the near

future...

Berkland accurately predicted the 1989 San Francisco earthquake.

Video 05:01 -- Fox News interview with Neil Cavuto

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#61 : March 16, 2011, 01:59:03 PM

Japanese and Gaman .....makes you want to help these people even more, doesn't it?

===============================================================

Crushed, but true to law of 'gaman'

The Australian
 March 16, 2011 12:00AM

THE elderly and exhausted Japanese survivor was carried by piggyback into the medical centre and gently placed in a chair. As her rescuer left the room, she struggled to her feet and bowed.

Alongside the chaos and destruction wrought by the terrible earthquake and tsunami have been scenes of heart-breaking orderliness and self-control.

Japan is prostrate and fearful, but there are no reports of widespread looting, panic or hoarding.

There is, as yet, very little anger directed at the government.

Western news crews search the wreckage for images of fear and anguish, for outrage and despair, but the Japanese survivors avert their faces and cover their eyes if they weep.

This extraordinary stoicism can be summed up by the Japanese word gaman, a concept that defies easy translation but broadly means calm forbearance, perseverance and poise in the face of events beyond one's control.

Gaman reflects a distinctively Japanese mentality, the direct consequence of geography and history in a country where the cycle of destruction and renewal is embedded in the national psyche. The Japanese are not earthquake-proof but, like their buildings and bridges, resilience has become inbuilt in a nation adapted to sway and bend under shocks that would shatter other societies. Japan has known devastation before, and the horror of nuclear fallout, but its recovery after 1945, and the ensuing economic miracle, owed much to this uncomplaining tenacity, a collective pride in endurance, survival and reconstruction.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/crushed-but-true-to-law-of-gaman/story-fn84naht-1226022079002

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#62 : March 16, 2011, 07:31:47 PM

Not to knock my own country, but you've got to be impressed w/ the Japanese orderliness and non-violence in response to this disaster. In our country we'd have rioting, murders, gun-toting folks stealing food, water, etc etc.----like they did in New Orleans after Katrina.

Guess I did knock my own country.

Can't judge the whole immense country on one (highly unusual) city. Miami/Homestead didn't have these issues after Andrew, SW Fla had NO problems after Charlie, SF didn't have any looting or craziness after the World Series Quake. And NYC has had blackouts, blizzards, and 9/11 with no such problems. We've had floods, tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, and all sorts of other disasters all over this country and never had the issues that happened in Nola. The problems after Katrina were ALL New Orleans, heck a lot of the looters were cops!

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#63 : June 18, 2011, 05:54:21 PM

Talk about a resilient country/nation....if this were NOLA, USA, GWB would be still flying over in AF One and telling everyone "Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job"

Interstesting pictures on the link......

-------------------------------------------------------------
Back from the dead: Astonishing pictures show how Japan is recovering just three months after tsunami

Japan's economy shrank 0.9 percent in the first quarter but recovery is expected between July and September

Just three months ago Japan was plunged into chaos after a cataclysmic earthquake sent a merciless tsunami crashing through towns and cities up and down the east coast.

The unforgiving tide of water obliterated tens of thousands of buildings, devouring almost anything in its path. Thousands of people died and hundreds of bodies have never been recovered.

The heart-breaking images of families desperately searching for loved ones amid the rubble of their homes sent shockwaves around the world.

Now, three months on, these images show the Japanese people remain undaunted by the havoc nature has wreaked on their homeland as step by step they rebuild their nation.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2001984/Japan-tsunami-earthquake-Pictures-recovery-3-months-later.html#ixzz1PfPRipyS

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2001984/Japan-tsunami-earthquake-Pictures-recovery-3-months-later.html#ixzz1PfPGpovq

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2001984/Japan-tsunami-earthquake-Pictures-recovery-3-months-later.html

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#64 : June 18, 2011, 06:21:30 PM

It is wonderful watching the Japanese as they move forward positively.  As for Katrina, NOLA and Brown - you comments makes me think you haven't an idea as to what happened in Louisiana.  Which now that think of that - well that's normal.  Sorry to interrupt -

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#65 : June 18, 2011, 06:29:23 PM

It is wonderful watching the Japanese as they move forward positively.  As for Katrina, NOLA and Brown - you comments makes me think you haven't an idea as to what happened in Louisiana.  Which now that think of that - well that's normal.  Sorry to interrupt -

It's pretty clear 'ole Oma is clueless about what happened in Japan as well.  The people there didn't sit around on their arse waiting for the government to do everything for them.  They helped themselves and each other.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#66 : June 19, 2011, 01:56:20 AM

The people there didn't sit around on their arse waiting for the government to do everything for them.  They helped themselves and each other.
It is true.  My mother and her friends were discussing this.  She being from Fukuoka, and her friend from right in the area that was hit hard.  My mother told me the other day that Japan has underwent many issues, none as bad as this, but their character would carry them forward.  I have to say, knowing my mother, that she is one bad assed **CENSORED**.  She is tough as any person I know.  She has rough edges to her personality, she is mean as all hell, and she treats members of her family rather harshly at times (mostly me), but it comes from this strange Rock-like personality that exudes toughness.  She is positive that Japan will rebound because the people there will not accept anything less.

Given their history, I have to concur.  There is nothing but hard work and character that comes from the people of Japan.  I say this not only because I am half, but because I have admired a lot of their culture, espescially in regards to their willpower.  Japanese people, IMO, are a very tough brand of human being. But damn if their situation isn't about as harsh as it can get...If I were there, in those shoes, I would be on the move.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#67 : June 19, 2011, 08:21:36 AM

Boid, your descriptions of your mom crack me up...

As to folks recovering from disaster - I would offer I have traveled throughout the US for natural catastrophes due to my job.  The absolute worst response by those impacted occurred in NOLA.  From earthquakes and fires in California, to tornados form the Plains states to Connecticut, Hurricanes in Texas, Florida, the Carolinas and even New England, I have never seen a group of people from their purported leaders to the last indiviudal there so willing to take so much advantage of what a caring nation was willing to provide.  Not even close.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: MEGA EARTHQUAKE HITS JAPAN, WEST COAST U.S. UNDER TSUNAMI WARNING. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools