Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Official Lockout Thread « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 13

donny77

Starter

#15 : March 11, 2011, 05:42:18 PM

They want the financial statements. That seems to be their goal.
They want to see the statements before agreeing to give up ~500 million dollars!  Big difference then just wanting them for the sake of wanting them.  The NFL had an option to not open the books, not ask for any more money off the top.  Remember, the players get 60% of revenue, but that is after 1 billion is taken off the top.  This means, using the 9 billion figure, players actually get 53% of total revenue.  The league was asking for 2 billion off the top which put the players at 46% of total revenue, a 9% cut.  Assuming the "split the difference" means the league came down to 1.5 million that would put the players at 50% of revenue.

flashgordon

Pro Bowler
#16 : March 11, 2011, 06:02:48 PM

if there's no football this year, then there won't be for two years; a lot can happen in two years.

I'm talking about a lot of science and technology can happen.  I won't mention two biggies; but, here's almost certainly a biggie that could really rock the world potentialy years before other big technological developments could happen - cloaking devices.

Don't know if youv'e heard of it here first; but, look around, you might be surprised!  This development almost certainly will happen 'before this year is out'; this development could rock the world in itself; i mean depending on who gets their hands on it first determines how it is used; who uses it; wars are almost a certainly as the first people that get their hands on this stuff will not want their perceived enemies getting their hands on it.

This is just one biggie technological development; point is that in two years, this world may not much care about the nfl in two years.
: March 11, 2011, 06:11:37 PM flashgordon

Dire Straits - Ride Across The River,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4T1MQGTV9U

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#17 : March 11, 2011, 06:03:59 PM

Heres a statement - have the upper-level players share their endorsement monies - paid in part due to the fame earned while playing for their respective teams!

The federal judge (from Wisconsin, right?...anyone think they might have a dog in a labor fight?) who stepped-in to assert that the monies collected from stadium deals, and diverted into "lockout-funds" to aid the owners, should be removed. He illegally prolonged this "negotiation". If the moronic players can't look-up once in a while to notice how many empty seats they're playing to weekly - then they wouldn't be able to understand a balance sheet anyway.

You nuckleheads cheering for the "union" side just made the cost of everything from price of tickets, to potato chips and beer you buy for the game...just go up.

Which means - you knuckleheads will be ponying-up the money to pay your favorite premedona's to play a GAME....

(Does anyone else realize how many idiots we're surrounded by?)
: March 11, 2011, 06:06:04 PM The White Tiger

Incomparable sig by Incognito

hsmith

Second String

#18 : March 11, 2011, 06:17:50 PM

Financial Statements won't change anything. The NFLPA's ignorance to avoid all other issue's for transparency is a joke. The decertification play is just that a play. hope the judge rules against the NFLPA and says they can't decertify.

According to Mike Florio, the NFL can't use the sham argument because the CBA that the NFL agreed to in 2006 said that the union had the right to decertify.

He explains it here: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/11/sham-argument-may-not-apply/

Finish reading the article it's not that cut and dry.Plus Judge Dotty can in fact rule that the NFLPA can't decertify, regardless of the argument. The NFLPA used decertification to force the owners hand, and in fact the owners made many concessions to avoid litigation, so the NFLPA agreed to an extension. Fast forward to today when the owners again made concessions and cut the money they wanted to come off the top in half. The Union made no counter proposal, and showed no intentions of negotiating, evidence by the fact they filed for decertification at 4 yet continued to act like they were still involved in active negotiations till 5. That evidence alone is enough for the judge to rule against the Union.

donny77

Starter

#19 : March 11, 2011, 06:25:08 PM

Finish reading the article it's not that cut and dry.Plus Judge Dotty can in fact rule that the NFLPA can't decertify, regardless of the argument. The NFLPA used decertification to force the owners hand, and in fact the owners made many concessions to avoid litigation, so the NFLPA agreed to an extension. Fast forward to today when the owners again made concessions and cut the money they wanted to come off the top in half. The Union made no counter proposal, and showed no intentions of negotiating, evidence by the fact they filed for decertification at 4 yet continued to act like they were still involved in active negotiations till 5. That evidence alone is enough for the judge to rule against the Union.

The NFLPA had how long to make a counter proposal?  And the owners would have needed how long to respond?  Yes, you could extend, but the union make a IMHO fair request.  The union extended once on the promise of getting the financial data.  They got some, but not what they asked for.  This time they said you want an extension agree to show us what we asked for.  The owners said no.  What is the point of extending?  The courts will force the owners to provide the information they refuse to now, guaranteed.

The paperwork was filled out at 4, it was not official until 5.  Sorry there was a deadline and the union loses the option to decertify at 5:00.  You're right they shouldn't have had anyone in the courthouse ready to file the papers.  Better to hope for good traffic and not to be late.

Captain Hindsight

Hall of Famer

#20 : March 11, 2011, 06:33:24 PM

if there's no football this year, then there won't be for two years; a lot can happen in two years.

I'm talking about a lot of science and technology can happen.  I won't mention two biggies; but, here's almost certainly a biggie that could really rock the world potentialy years before other big technological developments could happen - cloaking devices.

Don't know if youv'e heard of it here first; but, look around, you might be surprised!  This development almost certainly will happen 'before this year is out'; this development could rock the world in itself; i mean depending on who gets their hands on it first determines how it is used; who uses it; wars are almost a certainly as the first people that get their hands on this stuff will not want their perceived enemies getting their hands on it.

This is just one biggie technological development; point is that in two years, this world may not much care about the nfl in two years.

What in the hell are you going on about? Some cloaking device is going to get peoples minds off the NFL? It's not as practical as you think it will be, video cameras on one side with display screens on the other side giving the appearance of a "cloak", I've seen this crap 3+ years ago. I was supposed to be riding around in my flying car 11 years ago, that hasn't happened, nothing significant is going to change from now till 3/11/2013.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#21 : March 11, 2011, 06:34:11 PM

I'm hoping the players get their asses handed to 'em.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

Captain Hindsight

Hall of Famer

#22 : March 11, 2011, 06:35:34 PM

I agree, you get the feeling they weren't sincerely even trying to get a deal done the past few weeks. This is what they wanted all along.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#23 : March 11, 2011, 06:37:14 PM

so do I.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#24 : March 11, 2011, 06:37:58 PM

While i'm really on the side of football, i'm still of the mindset that the owners own....and the players play. How can an employee call the shots? Show you my books? F that!!!

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

JDog

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#25 : March 11, 2011, 06:40:08 PM

this world may not much care about the nfl in two years.

Actually, the world for the most part doesn't give a crap about the NFL already.   It's only popular in the USA.   

hsmith

Second String

#26 : March 11, 2011, 06:42:09 PM

The NFLPA had how long to make a counter proposal?  And the owners would have needed how long to respond?  Yes, you could extend, but the union make a IMHO fair request.  The union extended once on the promise of getting the financial data.  They got some, but not what they asked for.  This time they said you want an extension agree to show us what we asked for.  The owners said no.  What is the point of extending?  The courts will force the owners to provide the information they refuse to now, guaranteed.

Part of negotiating is actually negotiating. The NFL submitted their proposal at 11 am, the Union did not respond till 4 when they filed decertification papers.  The owners offered up more financial data than ever before it just wasn't 10 years it was 5 years. It's obvious that the Union was posturing for the better part of two and a half weeks to save face, when the plan all along was to litigate. Sorry opening the books doesn't solve the real issue's that need to be addressed in a new cba. There was 9 billion at stake and they had all but 600 million negotiated and then stopped.
[/quote]
: March 11, 2011, 06:46:38 PM hsmith

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#27 : March 11, 2011, 06:55:55 PM

Owners will fold, it's their only move.

hsmith

Second String

#28 : March 11, 2011, 07:02:23 PM

Wrong. Decertification only works for the players if the courts rule the owners can't lock them out. The owners write checks players cash them, if this drags out into the season, which I don't think it will, the owners are in a much better financial state than the players. As a result the players will fold

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#29 : March 11, 2011, 07:07:34 PM

Wrong. Decertification only works for the players if the courts rule the owners can't lock them out. The owners write checks players cash them, if this drags out into the season, which I don't think it will, the owners are in a much better financial state than the players. As a result the players will fold

The anti-trust violations will be completely devastating for the owners. They won't let it get that far.

Owners were bluffing and De Smith had pocket Aces. It's over for them.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 13
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Official Lockout Thread « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools