Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Official Lockout Thread « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13

JDog

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

« #30 : March 11, 2011, 07:08:56 PM »

I got a bunch of Bucs games on tape from through the years, but I might have to limit it to only watching on Sundays so they will last me a while.

I've been doing that the last 2 years.    Luckily I have more than 100 old games on dvd.   I just re-watched the 1989 49ers at Bucs game.    Great stuff.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

« #31 : March 11, 2011, 07:20:58 PM »

Owners will fold, it's their only move.

Wrong. Decertification only works for the players if the courts rule the owners can't lock them out. The owners write checks players cash them, if this drags out into the season, which I don't think it will, the owners are in a much better financial state than the players. As a result the players will fold

The anti-trust violations will be completely devastating for the owners. They won't let it get that far.

Owners were bluffing and De Smith had pocket Aces. It's over for them.

^^^^ This.

And for everybody out there crying alligator tears for the owners, you can't spend four years preparing for a lockout once the CBA expires and then turn around and say "we tried everything we could to avoid a lockout, but those greedy players wouldn't budge!" Get real. The owners thought they could put the screws to labor and they can't. Just because you write the checks doesn't mean you have cart blanche to screw over your employees. This is the U.S., not China. Workers have rights here. And as much as all of you anti player posters like to piss and moan about the players, I would bet my left nut that none of you would happily give up 9% of your earnings to save a company you knew good and well was not in need of being saved.

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

« #32 : March 11, 2011, 07:26:21 PM »

The reason they want the financial statements is because the union (do we call it a union anymore?) does not believe that the owners were struggling financially and that the now-expired CBA was providing sufficient profit for all involved.

If the books show that the owners are making profit with the expired CBA, it will appear in the eyes of the public that the owners are greedy and were lying that they needed more money.

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

« #33 : March 11, 2011, 07:37:00 PM »

Players have officially filed an anti-trust lawsuit.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/11/tom-brady-peyton-manning-drew-brees-seven-others-file-antitrust-suit/

Booker

Hall of Famer

« #34 : March 11, 2011, 07:39:54 PM »

LOL at Von Miller in the suit.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

« #35 : March 11, 2011, 07:44:23 PM »

He could have just torpedoed his draft stock

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

« #36 : March 11, 2011, 07:45:10 PM »

Yeah. Now he'll be lucky if he gets drafted anywhere in the first round.

JC5100

Hall of Famer

« #37 : March 11, 2011, 07:48:23 PM »

Yea I wonder if the Pats will trade Brady now too   :-X

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

« #38 : March 11, 2011, 07:49:14 PM »

I wanted to reply to all the morons saying Von Miller can't be in the suit because he isn't in the players union because he hasn't been drafted yet, but I don't have a Wordpress account. Grrr!

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

« #39 : March 11, 2011, 07:59:14 PM »

Yea I wonder if the Pats will trade Brady now too   :-X

What you did there.....I see it

hsmith

Second String

« #40 : March 11, 2011, 08:08:44 PM »

Owners will fold, it's their only move.

Wrong. Decertification only works for the players if the courts rule the owners can't lock them out. The owners write checks players cash them, if this drags out into the season, which I don't think it will, the owners are in a much better financial state than the players. As a result the players will fold

The anti-trust violations will be completely devastating for the owners. They won't let it get that far.

Owners were bluffing and De Smith had pocket Aces. It's over for them.

^^^^ This.

And for everybody out there crying alligator tears for the owners, you can't spend four years preparing for a lockout once the CBA expires and then turn around and say "we tried everything we could to avoid a lockout, but those greedy players wouldn't budge!" Get real. The owners thought they could put the screws to labor and they can't. Just because you write the checks doesn't mean you have cart blanche to screw over your employees. This is the U.S., not China. Workers have rights here. And as much as all of you anti player posters like to piss and moan about the players, I would bet my left nut that none of you would happily give up 9% of your earnings to save a company you knew good and well was not in need of being saved.

Screw over your employees, I don't think anyone would argue that the current CBA was the sweetest deal to divided 61% of the revenue to the players and 49% to the owners. Factor in that profit margins for the owners have decreased due to the rise in the cost of doing business and a downturn in the economy. Of course owners opted out of that deal. I bet my left nut that if you ask the company you work for, to show you their books to try and renegotiate your salary your ass would get fired. The owners want a better deal as they should.

This Anti-trust suit won't hold up in court. The fact is, even though Doty is a player friendly judge, it's hard to foresee him ruling that the owners of a business are not allowed to lockout their employees.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #41 : March 11, 2011, 08:13:04 PM »

Just give me my season ticket money back. I'll find something else to do Sept-Jan.

I was hoping there would be silver lining in all of this.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

« #42 : March 11, 2011, 08:44:26 PM »

Screw over your employees, I don't think anyone would argue that the current CBA was the sweetest deal to divided 61% of the revenue to the players and 49% to the owners.

That's figured after the owners already receive 1 billion dollars off the top. It's closer to being a 50-50 split when that's factored in. You act as though the players association is getting cut a fat check and are dipping into the owners pockets to do so. The revenue split they get goes to their salaries and retirement benefits. You know, the things that they work for. The things that everybody works for. The owners run a business that yield revenues in the billions. Their workforce is entitled to a fair share. It's the cost of doing business.

Factor in that profit margins for the owners have decreased due to the rise in the cost of doing business and a downturn in the economy. Of course owners opted out of that deal.

Or maybe they opted out of the deal because they just want a bigger share of the honey pot. How do we know that their profits are down? They won't show the books. The NFL as a whole's revenues increased this year, so unless funds are being greatly mismanaged, the math doesn't add up.

I bet my left nut that if you ask the company you work for, to show you their books to try and renegotiate your salary your ass would get fired. The owners want a better deal as they should.

I probably would get fired. But I am not a union member and don't have collective bargaining power. If I did, I would do the exact same thing the players are doing.

This Anti-trust suit won't hold up in court. The fact is, even though Doty is a player friendly judge, it's hard to foresee him ruling that the owners of a business are not allowed to lockout their employees.

Don't be so sure about that:

The NFLPA decertification has taken place, and the aftermath is already underway.

Superstars Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and Drew Brees are among nine plaintiffs who have filed antitrust claims against the NFL in the 8th Circuit Court. The other plaintiffs are Giants DE Osi Umenyiora, Chargers WR Vincent Jackson, Pariots G Logan Mankins, Chiefs LB Mike Vrabel, Vikings LB Ben Leber and Vikings DE Brian Robison. Also, among the players is Texas A & M first-round rookie prospect Von Miller, who is representing the rookies. (Nice -- and gutsy -- way to introduce yourself to the league.)

The players allege that the NFL conspired to deny the players' ability to market their services. This has been the players' silver bullet all along. After the American Needle vs. NFL case in May determined that the NFL consists of 32 separate entities, the league became vulnerable to antitrust laws. Separate entities cannot bind together to prevent players from working.

Expect the league to file a counter suit claiming that the NFLPA’s decertification is a sham. Per the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, the NFLPA could only sue the league after decertifying.

Source: http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/27860958

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

« #43 : March 11, 2011, 08:57:32 PM »

If you're going to accept half of what the owners were offering, then why not just propose that?

Sorry, this DeMaurice Smith-guy is simply hoping to out-Gene Upshaw, Gene Upshaw's memory...

I think this is the same, (allegedly) corrupt Washington Labor attorney who was sued by former players - and had a mysterious fire break out in DeMaurice Smith's NFLPA office - which some say oddly enough (allegedly) destroyed some evidence those former-players were seeking to help their case against the NFLPA - (something about former-players holding the new highly paid members of the NFLPA to account for not doing their part to help out older/former players. See the old guys hold new players responsible for lack of a decent pension/healthcare - that they said they'd pay - except the new players said they couldn't afford to help just yet...).

Yeah, the way I heard it - the former players feel the popularity and financial success enjoyed by the current players was built on the foundation of the older/former plauers - at great personal cost (politically and financially) - and felt it was only fair that a union of highly paid players set aside a portion of their trememdous incomes for former players who never made a lot of money, many of whom were now in poor health and some even destitute....

that DeMaurice Smith - same guy - just alleged that it was the owners who weren't dealing "above board" with his union, right?

Because if it is - the current players should watch their wallets where DeMaurice Smith's union is involved - any former player with an axe to grind later-on in their careers - may just find themselves on an updated "[ur=http://fourthandgoalunites.com/2010/04/16/demaurice-smith-is-using-gene-upshaw%e2%80%99s-blacklist/]blacklist[/url]"...started by the late Gene Upshaw, passed with care to dear DeMaurice...

To actually hear fans siding with millionaires for the priviledge of paying more for everything from beer, hotdogs, potato chips, cigarettes, cigars, Sunday Ticket, NFLnetwork, and tickets to the game - will pay more for EVERYTHING....and get this, it won't help owners sell more tickets because fans have to pay more...

Are you guys beginning to get it yet? These morons aren't negotiating with the owners to hold onto hard fought wages/pensions/benefits - they're refusing to bear more of the operating costs from their wealth - the alternative is, whatever isn't shared by players - who make money from their base contracts, incentives, investments, AND private endorsements - is going to be picked up by YOU.

This is getting ABSOLUTELY ridiculous! Could you guys THINK before endorsing a side - try getting your information from somewhere other than the nimrods on ESPN - because those guys think you're numbskulls (see, they get paid for getting interviews and inside information from the PLAYERS.). The ESPN/media guys don't really have a vested interest in what's best...for owners or fans...they get paid for showing games, getting postgame interviews from players - they don't ever worry about what the owners have to say - unless they're trying to help the players by reporting only what some owner says about something stupid Peyton Manning said,

Don't get me wrong, the owners aren't necessarily worrying about the fans...but they know that their costs are MUCH higher BECAUSE we FANS aren't going to their stadiums, you're NOT buying season tickets, and Sunday/Monday beer sales are NOT increasing...

It's just that in this "labor" dispute - our interests are better represented by the owners...and you know what...? Regardless of what the media and a biased judge has to say - NO ONE can argue that the economy sucks, that there are more stadiums with empty seats, and every cost associated with the game has gone up exponentially.
« : March 11, 2011, 09:09:08 PM The White Tiger »

Incomparable sig by Incognito

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

« #44 : March 11, 2011, 09:38:26 PM »

The owners have never said they were going to reduce tickets if they get a better deal. That is not part of the plan.

The fan gets screwed either way unless everyone collectively does what many MLB fans did in '94.... stop going.
  Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Official Lockout Thread « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools