Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: FSU next year « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

: March 14, 2011, 10:02:22 PM

the positive discussion in the driskel thread between noles and gators got me wanting to start a new thread. how do you guys think FSU is going to do next year. im curious what you guys think of jimbo and where we are headed.  what do you think are postions of strength and weakness for us. ill add my thoughts once i hear some other opinions.

id like to keep this thread civil and have a serious discussion without fanbase bashing and that kind of stuff. i havent really seen any of that here but its prevalent on other websites.

i personally think we win 10 regular season next year. i think we lose to Oklahoma and then lose one other game we shouldnt, or lose to UF depending on how they pull things together next season.

Snook

Hall of Famer
#1 : March 15, 2011, 12:35:17 AM

FSU is the kind of team that could go 12-0 next year or 8-4...

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#2 : March 15, 2011, 07:30:07 AM

Id love to get in this one but I know next to zero about fsu.  Looking forward to some views.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Runole

Hall of Famer
#3 : March 15, 2011, 08:23:57 PM

Well this came from a rather optimistic FSU fan not me:

(QB)For the first time since the Weinke era we are not handing over the reigns to a freshman with talent but no experience, but instead what we will have is an incredibly talented QB that has had 2 years to learn the system and earn some significant playing time along the way, including two bowl game victories.

(RB) I don't really need to say much about this squad but we have a stable of fully capable RBs that includes Thompson, Jones, Thomas*,Pryor,Freeman and Wilder Jr...pick your poison

(WR) By far the most depth, talent and experience we have seen since the early 2000s. We have a solid mixture of big possession guys (Haulstead, Smith and Gheres) and Speed guys (Reed, Easterling, Shaw, Dent, Haggins and C. Green). Not to mention two solid newcomers in R. Greene and Benjamin.

(TE) We have some good experience, depth and athletic ability in Reliford*, Little and Sessions. But the deal breaker is going to be O'leary because if he is ready to play right away this next year, he will create nasty mismatches and could be the final piece of Jimbos offensive puzzle.

(OL) Losing Mcmahon and Hudson obviously hurts but Orelus and Stork both played VERY well at guard multiple times last year and as long as Spurlock's concussions don't hold him out at all he will be one nasty center. Add Datko and Sanders and an impressive class of (mostly early enrolled) freshmen including the likes of Hart and Fahrenkrug possibly contributing early. Also, Rick Trickett is still our OL coach so we should be good to go here.

And the Defense:
(DT)IMO This will be the most improved area since last year. We bring back McDaniel, McAllister, Dawkins, and McCloud. Add Darius Cummings, Cameron Erving and a finally healthy McCray along with newcomers that I expect to play right away in Mitchell and Jernigan and HOLY COW this is going to be a great group.

(DE) We return Brandon Jenkins, Bjoern Werner, Toshman Stevens(who is finally going to be big enough to contribute on a regular basis), and an underrated Dan Hicks. Add a ready-to-go Tank Carradine and Newberry and we should be the cause of opposing QBs nightmares once again this season.

(LB) We return Bradham, Jones, Williams, Luc, and a Telvin Smith with added size. The redshirts come off of Holmes and Nigel Terell. Add a highly underrated Arrington Jenkins and Terrance Smith and even though losing Steward hurts, something tells me we are just fine here.

(CB) Not much has changed here, we are returning Reid, Rhodes, Harris, and a healthy Commack. Add an early enrolled Waisome and possibly Keelin Smith and we're more than solid.

(S) We will be absolutely wreaking havoc from this position this year. We will return the hard-hitting Moody, a more than solid performer in Parks and I am very excited to watch Joyner roaming around back there because of his Ball-hawking abilities and fearless hitting. Add the likes of 'Los and once again possibly Keelin Smith along with and this position will be more than fun to watch this season. Hunter and Brutus could also add depth but i feel like they'll both redshirt.

(ST) We should be among the elite in all categories of special teams this upcoming season. Hopkins could make a run at the Groza, Powell should be among the nation's best punters and of course Reid returning punts and kick-offs. Not to mention our coverage on kick-offs and punts was phenomenal last year and could only be better this year.

All that said we have both the team AND the schedule (with possibly the biggest regular season game of the year in having #1 OU come to Doak) to put us in position to bring it all home next year. And I can tell you this much, Jimbo and co. are not thinking that we are 2 years away. I'm not guaranteeing a MNC but this is our year to return to the top, this is the season we have been waiting for.

I do believe that FSU has recruited a signature class reminiscent to the Sammie Smith /Deion Sanders class with James Wilder and Karlos Williams being rather similar headliners.   Of course getting Jernigan and O'leary is just additional frosting on the cake.  Overall an excellent class with several performers that I believe will make significant contributions before the season is over.

It does appear that FSU's problems on defense may just be over since I believe the DL will be almost at the levels most FSU fans were accustomed to in FSU's storied past.   Not totally sold on DE's. The secondary likewise looks very deep and talented at both CB and Safety.

While it may not show in his first year at FSU I think Karlos Williams will make as much of an impact as Reggie Nelson did at Florida.

I also believe that with Wilder FSU will have a very strong inside and outside running game.  As good as Wilder is early enrollee Freeman at this point in time is a more instinctive HB.  Hard to believe that he ran for over 600 yards in the semifinals and finals of the highest class in Florida High school Football 6A.

The O' Leary kid sounds like the real deal. It has been a long time since FSU had such a versatile Tight End. As stated above FSU has plenty of weapons at WR and they come in all sizes from very tall to fast and elusive.

To me the only real question is how far the "Training Wheels" come off of Manual.   He has missed a couple of Springs. This is his time to seize the moment.

The schedule on paper looks easier than last year with only Oklahoma being an early predicted great team. More than likely Oklahoma will be ranked #1 when they come to Doak.  Taking a page from the UF scheduling book, FSU will be playing to warm ups prior to that game.

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#4 : March 15, 2011, 08:53:10 PM

the only bad thing about 2 freebie tuneup games is that you arent used to playing big time teams. id rather play a freebie and someone sucky like wake forest. at least wake will have a shot at having some talented or well developed guys to challenge you. im hoping that being in the 2nd year of stoops gameplan we will be that much better on defense. our dline depth should be better. we started to suffer after the midpoint last year because all of our DTs were injured and worn down. im hoping that spurlock can make a good transition to center and that fahrenkrug can fill in for hudson. hopefully we dont let oklahoma abuse us with their hurry up no huddle offense. for whatever reason we cannot line up when a team goes into the hurry up

Runole

Hall of Famer
#5 : March 15, 2011, 09:18:57 PM

the only bad thing about 2 freebie tuneup games is that you arent used to playing big time teams. id rather play a freebie and someone sucky like wake forest. at least wake will have a shot at having some talented or well developed guys to challenge you. im hoping that being in the 2nd year of stoops gameplan we will be that much better on defense. our dline depth should be better. we started to suffer after the midpoint last year because all of our DTs were injured and worn down. im hoping that spurlock can make a good transition to center and that fahrenkrug can fill in for hudson. hopefully we dont let oklahoma abuse us with their hurry up no huddle offense. for whatever reason we cannot line up when a team goes into the hurry up

That is my biggest concern with Stoops.  There was little if any adjustment throughout the Oklahoma game.   For the rest of the season it seemed to be less of a problem though I think it should be noted that the schedule last season was far easier than 2009 and when FSU faced a veteran QB the defense had the same old problems of 2009.  This was painfully evident in the VT game.   I do believe that the Defensive line assuming someone like McCray returns should be vastly improved due to so much more depth and experience.  Still concerned about the DE's but if someone can be as good Jenkins on the other side that also should be vastly improved.    I really like the secondary that is being put together.  Karlos is a clone in the Sean Taylor  Ed Reed  mode.  I also like the move of Joyner to free safety as I think his closing skills could reek havoc.  Likewise I think Reid's best position is nickel back for the same reason. 

As to the tune up games I agree in a perfect world it would be better if one of those warm ups was before the Florida game each season.   Of course the counterpoint is it will be two full games to work the kinks out preparing for Oklahoma.   EJ has all the potential in the world but the "training wheels" need to come off if possible.

You can guarantee that FSU is already begun game planning for Oklahoma much the same way USF did prior to playing FSU in 2009.  I definitely feel that Oklahoma will not have a game similar to last year at Doak.  Just hope Mark isn't bamboozled again by his older brother.

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#6 : March 15, 2011, 09:52:13 PM

i dont think the teams head was in the championship game. seemed like a hangover from thumping UF. they didnt appear prepared mentally.

DE should be ok. youve got dan hicks whos showing alot of promise and is damn big. Werner who is an absolute monster and i think hes going to be a 1st rounder in a couple years. guys got serious power and explosion. Carradine was a beast in Juco like Markus white and he should be good now that our DEs are getting coaching. we dont even have to talk about jenkins. nothing needs to be said. i expect him to be even better next year and draw alot of double teams. that frees up our tackles and other ends.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#7 : March 15, 2011, 10:51:12 PM

i dont think the teams head was in the championship game. seemed like a hangover from thumping UF. they didnt appear prepared mentally.

Could be...

DE should be ok. youve got dan hicks whos showing alot of promise and is damn big. Werner who is an absolute monster and i think hes going to be a 1st rounder in a couple years. guys got serious power and explosion. Carradine was a beast in Juco like Markus white and he should be good now that our DEs are getting coaching. we dont even have to talk about jenkins. nothing needs to be said. i expect him to be even better next year and draw alot of double teams. that frees up our tackles and other ends.

Yes, they did have a tremendous amount of sacks last season. The light finally came on for Marcus.

Just need to do it against the experienced QB's this season.  I also expect big things from Hicks, Carradine, and Werner

JUST SAW WHERE FSU GOT A VERBAL COMMITMENT FROM EDWARDS!!!    Some say he is one of the best DE prospects in the country!!

Interesting story was visiting my son in Marietta at Christmas time and we decided to watch the Bucs game at a local sports bar and in walks the entire FSU football team. Had an opportunity to meet many of the players and spoke with Dan Hicks mentioned his father Dan Footman.  Great group of young adults.  They stayed for about 2 hours and then about 6 pm they left and the South Carolina bus rolls in with their entire team.. Pretty neat experience. 

Runole

Hall of Famer
#8 : March 16, 2011, 10:41:54 AM

Dex though verbal commitments aren't real until they sign the dotted line what do you think about the commitment of DE Edwards?

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#9 : March 16, 2011, 11:11:15 AM

Huge pickup. kid is an absolute monster. plays 4a texas ball and abuses big linemen. hes moves fast for such a big man. very strong against the run and really can collapse the pocket. should be versatile kind of like allan bailey from miami. big DE who can slide inside and play tackle on passing downs. hopefully he doesnt outgrow end. honestly hes big enough to be a 3-4 end. i could see him playing around 290 at end. hes gonna be this years karlos williams. dad played for us and im sure has mentored him about making a decision. i dbe shocked if he didnt end up at FSU. anything could happen but i expect him in G&G in february.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#10 : March 16, 2011, 12:56:27 PM

Huge pickup. kid is an absolute monster. plays 4a texas ball and abuses big linemen. hes moves fast for such a big man. very strong against the run and really can collapse the pocket. should be versatile kind of like allan bailey from miami. big DE who can slide inside and play tackle on passing downs. hopefully he doesnt outgrow end. honestly hes big enough to be a 3-4 end. i could see him playing around 290 at end. hes gonna be this years karlos williams. dad played for us and im sure has mentored him about making a decision. i dbe shocked if he didnt end up at FSU. anything could happen but i expect him in G&G in february.

Agree he and Dante Flower are definite DE's of the future for FSU. 

One thing that Fisher did with the new staff was make sure of was to make sure (with the absence of the greatest recruiting closer in the history of CFB ) that everyone on the new coaching staff would be driven recruiters.

I think at least part of the reason for FSU's slide over the last decade was that the staff became too dependent on Bowden closing the deal.

It is readily apparent that if you are going to be on Fisher's coaching staff you better eat drink and sleep recruiting. In order to that you must be of the personality that truthfully enjoys that aspect of College Football.  That is why Bowden was so good at for so many years.  He always loved meeting the families in a non football setting.

I also agree that Edwards could very well be the Karlos Williams of this class in his contacts with other players.

I have a feeling that he will be on Rivals 5 star list this week.   

Speaking of commitments Dante Freeman's dad assured everyone that he also would be a Nole even though he will take his visits.  That is another technique that  Bowden was known for... encouraging kids to take all their visits.  Glad to see Fisher is of the same mentality. Honesty is always the best policy.

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#11 : March 16, 2011, 02:39:34 PM

the main problem before jimbo took over was that not everyone was carrying his weight in recruiting as a coach. and bobby's ability to close was legendary but not as effective at the end. we had the pounceys both commited for a while and rumor has it one reason they switched was because bobby couldnt remeber their names. part of that is from getting old, and they are twins but still. your headcoach shouldnt be the one to seal every kid. he needs to be cleanup. now our assistants are doing most of the work and jimbo is finishing it off. jimbo has also assembled a great group of assisnts. i think assistants are more important that the head coach to a certain degree. when we were winning all the time we had great assisnt coaches, richt, steele, amato the first time when he was dline coach. the second coming of amato was much less successful

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#12 : March 16, 2011, 07:13:26 PM

Looking at their schedule, I'd say 2 losses (OK, BC) unless Muschamp pulls a COY job his first year. You should win the ACC and get a BCS bowl. I think the one game that really screws you up for a serious title hunt is that Thurs nite away game at BC. For some reason, those Thurs. nite games KILL seasons.

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#13 : March 16, 2011, 09:09:17 PM

yeah that BC game is going to suck. 4 day turnaround and then a trip to boston on a thurs. thursday games always favor the home team even more than normal. i dont understand why we always agree to go on the road for them. that game is suicide. BC always plays us tough as it is

Runole

Hall of Famer
#14 : March 17, 2011, 12:14:09 AM

the main problem before jimbo took over was that not everyone was carrying his weight in recruiting as a coach. and bobby's ability to close was legendary but not as effective at the end. we had the pounceys both commited for a while and rumor has it one reason they switched was because bobby couldnt remeber their names. part of that is from getting old, and they are twins but still. your headcoach shouldnt be the one to seal every kid. he needs to be cleanup. now our assistants are doing most of the work and jimbo is finishing it off. jimbo has also assembled a great group of assisnts. i think assistants are more important that the head coach to a certain degree. when we were winning all the time we had great assisnt coaches, richt, steele, amato the first time when he was dline coach. the second coming of amato was much less successful

I have yet to hear a single recruit mention that the reason he didn't come to FSU was because of Bowden.  Heck, FSU almost lost Christian Green and Christian Jones because both fathers weren't pleased with the way the Bowden exit was handled.  I had heard the rumor that the Pounceys stated they didn't come because Bowden didn't visit which really doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense since they orally committed to the gators in early September.  Truthfully like many UF "locks" at that time Urban was running a little game whereby a recruit would orally commit to FSU out of the blue and then change his mind after a UF visit. Pretty effective even if a little bush league. Happened with several recruits..

Fisher benefited greatly from the HCIW because of the unlimited visits it provided. The NCAA has closed that loophole now.  Fisher and every assistant coach has to be a dedicated recruiter on the current staff and the dividends are certainly paying off.  Recruiting has changed dramatically the last 5-6 years as teams are trying for oral commitments before kids even finish their Junior years.   Just a sign of the times. Not sure it is for the better. Amato and Fisher didn't play well TOO MANY CHIEFS not enough Indians.

Back to topic the past is over and done. "Honor the past! Celebrate the future!"
___________________________________________________________________________________

What do you think about  a secondary of the future with Joyner at Free safety  Reid at Nickel  Karlos  or Moody at SS, Rhodes and Harris at CB?

That looks like a very formidable secondary from my view.

Both Reid and Joyner are ball hawks that break on the ball well with good closing speed.  At least that is my thought.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: FSU next year « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools