Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: FSU next year « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Runole

Hall of Famer
« #30 : April 01, 2011, 02:54:59 PM »

Well this came from a rather optimistic FSU fan not me:

(QB)For the first time since the Weinke era we are not handing over the reigns to a freshman with talent but no experience, but instead what we will have is an incredibly talented QB that has had 2 years to learn the system and earn some significant playing time along the way, including two bowl game victories.

(RB) I don't really need to say much about this squad but we have a stable of fully capable RBs that includes Thompson, Jones, Thomas*,Pryor,Freeman and Wilder Jr...pick your poison

(WR) By far the most depth, talent and experience we have seen since the early 2000s. We have a solid mixture of big possession guys (Haulstead, Smith and Gheres) and Speed guys (Reed, Easterling, Shaw, Dent, Haggins and C. Green). Not to mention two solid newcomers in R. Greene and Benjamin.

(TE) We have some good experience, depth and athletic ability in Reliford*, Little and Sessions. But the deal breaker is going to be O'leary because if he is ready to play right away this next year, he will create nasty mismatches and could be the final piece of Jimbos offensive puzzle.

(OL) Losing Mcmahon and Hudson obviously hurts but Orelus and Stork both played VERY well at guard multiple times last year and as long as Spurlock's concussions don't hold him out at all he will be one nasty center. Add Datko and Sanders and an impressive class of (mostly early enrolled) freshmen including the likes of Hart and Fahrenkrug possibly contributing early. Also, Rick Trickett is still our OL coach so we should be good to go here.

And the Defense:
(DT)IMO This will be the most improved area since last year. We bring back McDaniel, McAllister, Dawkins, and McCloud. Add Darius Cummings, Cameron Erving and a finally healthy McCray along with newcomers that I expect to play right away in Mitchell and Jernigan and HOLY COW this is going to be a great group.

(DE) We return Brandon Jenkins, Bjoern Werner, Toshman Stevens(who is finally going to be big enough to contribute on a regular basis), and an underrated Dan Hicks. Add a ready-to-go Tank Carradine and Newberry and we should be the cause of opposing QBs nightmares once again this season.

(LB) We return Bradham, Jones, Williams, Luc, and a Telvin Smith with added size. The redshirts come off of Holmes and Nigel Terell. Add a highly underrated Arrington Jenkins and Terrance Smith and even though losing Steward hurts, something tells me we are just fine here.

(CB) Not much has changed here, we are returning Reid, Rhodes, Harris, and a healthy Commack. Add an early enrolled Waisome and possibly Keelin Smith and we're more than solid.

(S) We will be absolutely wreaking havoc from this position this year. We will return the hard-hitting Moody, a more than solid performer in Parks and I am very excited to watch Joyner roaming around back there because of his Ball-hawking abilities and fearless hitting. Add the likes of 'Los and once again possibly Keelin Smith along with and this position will be more than fun to watch this season. Hunter and Brutus could also add depth but i feel like they'll both redshirt.

(ST) We should be among the elite in all categories of special teams this upcoming season. Hopkins could make a run at the Groza, Powell should be among the nation's best punters and of course Reid returning punts and kick-offs. Not to mention our coverage on kick-offs and punts was phenomenal last year and could only be better this year.

All that said we have both the team AND the schedule (with possibly the biggest regular season game of the year in having #1 OU come to Doak) to put us in position to bring it all home next year. And I can tell you this much, Jimbo and co. are not thinking that we are 2 years away. I'm not guaranteeing a MNC but this is our year to return to the top, this is the season we have been waiting for.

I do believe that FSU has recruited a signature class reminiscent to the Sammie Smith /Deion Sanders class with James Wilder and Karlos Williams being rather similar headliners.   Of course getting Jernigan and O'leary is just additional frosting on the cake.  Overall an excellent class with several performers that I believe will make significant contributions before the season is over.

It does appear that FSU's problems on defense may just be over since I believe the DL will be almost at the levels most FSU fans were accustomed to in FSU's storied past.   Not totally sold on DE's. The secondary likewise looks very deep and talented at both CB and Safety.

While it may not show in his first year at FSU I think Karlos Williams will make as much of an impact as Reggie Nelson did at Florida.

I also believe that with Wilder FSU will have a very strong inside and outside running game.  As good as Wilder is early enrollee Freeman at this point in time is a more instinctive HB.  Hard to believe that he ran for over 600 yards in the semifinals and finals of the highest class in Florida High school Football 6A.

The O' Leary kid sounds like the real deal. It has been a long time since FSU had such a versatile Tight End. As stated above FSU has plenty of weapons at WR and they come in all sizes from very tall to fast and elusive.

To me the only real question is how far the "Training Wheels" come off of Manual.   He has missed a couple of Springs. This is his time to seize the moment.

The schedule on paper looks easier than last year with only Oklahoma being an early predicted great team. More than likely Oklahoma will be ranked #1 when they come to Doak.  Taking a page from the UF scheduling book, FSU will be playing to warm ups prior to that game.

Thank you for this post.  I have been here at FSU for the past 5 years (grad school now, not a supersenior) - and had become rather disenchanted with the football team (to begin with, I have always much preferred NFL games) -  but reading this analysis has actually got me somewhat excited about games this year.  It was rather frustrating watching Bowden needlessly run the team into the ground (but lets not go there - no point in concentrating on the negative).  Call me a fair weather fan (Edit:for the 'Noles, not the for Bucs, I have been and always will be a true fan of our Bucs  :) ) - but I'm at least interested in the team this year

Thanks again for the info

I certainly can understand your disenchantment with FSU considering the time  you have been attending.  Until last year the previous 5 have not been memorable.

JMO and while I will agree that Bowden made mistakes in coaches hired during the last decade and also FSU struck out on a lot of talent that either never made it in or just was over- rated, I think Bowden is wrongly singly scapegoated as being to blamed for "needlessly running the team into the ground". After all Fisher, Dawsey, Coley, Trickett ,and Haggins were all hired by him so  those hires certainly weren't mistakes.  To me Bowden's just didn't make changes fast enough for the fan base.

Unfortunately, there is an element in the fan base that feels a sense of empowerment that they make decisions for who FSU hires or fires with the rather unpleasant exit of Bowden. Fortunately, both Fisher and Bowden handled the issue extremely well and things look very promising today.

I agree lets not dwell on such negative/counterproductive stuff.  FSU definitely is on a noticeable ascent at present.  Always a Noles and Bucs fan win or lose!

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #31 : April 01, 2011, 08:34:14 PM »

Fisher and Bowden handled the issue extremely well

Fisher, yes.  Bowden?  Not so much.  I know more than a few hardcore 'Nole fans that were disappointed in how Bobby handled the whole situation.  I always respected Bowden, but some of that faded in how he handled the situation.

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

« #32 : April 02, 2011, 12:25:23 PM »

im forever grateful for what Bobby did to the univeristy and i hold him in the highest regard as a person and a coach but it was just time for him to hang it up. i know its got to be hard to do after so long but it was just time. i wish things could have been done differently but it didnt work out that way. after seeing the results i am 100% happy the change was made though. we needed the new energy and the culture change to progress back to where we used to be. i am hoping we can get back to the 90s form, or at least close to it

Runole

Hall of Famer
« #33 : April 05, 2011, 09:09:48 AM »

Fisher and Bowden handled the issue extremely well

Fisher, yes.  Bowden?  Not so much.  I know more than a few hardcore 'Nole fans that were disappointed in how Bobby handled the whole situation.  I always respected Bowden, but some of that faded in how he handled the situation.

Certainly agree and perhaps it is because too many of them put him on the level of sainthood incapable of making mistakes.   The point is the whole situation could have been handled better but unfortunately for the first time Boosters became too involved with decisions for the program.   Blaming the head coach for the performance of the team may be a common theme among many fans but in the case of Bowden I think it is an erroneous assertion.  FSU did not perform to its previous Dynasty years due to  a litany of factors from:

Coaches leaving
Coaches not being up to the previous standards
Recruiting mistakes that could have happened to any program
A considerable drop in the depth of talent that FSU had recruited in the 90's
The death of Darling had a huge effect on both the players and coaches... The game kind of loses its importance when such things happen!
Starting a RS Freshman QB that under normal circumstances shouldn't have started until his Junior year.
Lack of upper class leadership
Too many players believing just putting on an FSU uniform made them all-stars.
The promotion of J Bowden and **CENSORED**ey hires were huge mistakes and showed the world the problems that can occur when family members are hired as Coaches and they don't work out.

I thought that Bowden and Fisher handled his exit as graciously as possible.    Meanwhile the two cowards most responsible for his exit stayed in the corner totally silent along with I am sure a few "Influential boosters too full of themselves".

To act like Bowden shouldn't be disappointed that he didn't get the final year that had been laid out is being very naive and points again to the false pedestal some put Bowden on.   

Just curious since you claim that Bowden should have handled it better.  If you were in the same situation being honest how would you have handled it?

JMO but Bowden certainly could and had every right to totally blast FSU and everyone involved for the some of the most unkind and stupid remarks made by certain individuals.  However, he had too much class and decency to go that kind of  disrespectful rhetoric. Obviously, he cared far more about FSU and the future despite his disappointment.

Hell! The Man made FSU into what it is today!   Take a look at what FSU looked like when he took over the program. 

For that matter would Fisher, Dawsey ,Coley, Trickett, or Haggins be coaching at FSU today if it weren't for Bowden?   Without Fisher none of the current staff would be here as well.

While some fans with the ridiculous "entitlement issues" may have thought Bowden didn't handle the exit well the overwhelming majority of players, coaches, and people that worked with the man were disgusted with the way FSU handled the situation and stated so rather emphatically. There certainly were very few others in the College Football field that gave any praise for the way FSU handled the situation.  Kicking a legend to the curb doesn't play well!

Sure FSU didn't match the standards it did in the 90's.  No one else has ever either.

For that matter neither did Florida in terms of domination for the entire decade despite two MNC's.  They were more dominating in the SEC in the 90's and won more games.

The fact that when Bowden left FSU had the longest continuous winning and bowl streak in CFB that still continues today is hardly what I would call failure or mediocrity.

The problem with FSU lies with too many spoiled fans that respect nothing and expect everything. jmo

« : April 05, 2011, 09:14:12 AM Runole »

Freeman2WilliamsTD

Rookie

« #34 : April 23, 2011, 10:40:56 PM »

As far as Bowden goes . . . well the game passed him by.  Once there was an overall reduction of scholarships for all schools, FSU (and other powers) couldn't haord talent like they used to.

Not only that, but in the past 10 years or so the amount of time that coaches put into scouting, recruiting and developing players has gone through the roof.  Coaching college football became a 80+ hour work week.  Bowden couldn't do that anymore.  and there were few on his staff that could either since Bowden was so fiercely loyal that he kept may longtimers on (and in the case of Amato rehired them).

Bowden and his staff stuck with the philosophy of "Go out there and play ball!"  Relying on talent alone (especially when the players were no longer head and shoulders the most talented) was no longer a vialbe way to coach a team.  There was an interview last offseason with a couple players that were happy that the coaching staff was teaching them.  How messed up is it when the players are happy they are being taught the game at a collegiate level? 

I will never forget was Bobby did for the program but as I said before . . . the game passed him by.

As far as this next season goes tho . . . I'm pumped.  Everything seems to be falling in place for a title run.  My main worry is being screwed by the CPUs cuz the ACC isnt that strong. Hopefully wins over UF and OU are enough.

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

« #35 : April 26, 2011, 02:52:41 PM »

They'll be in the NC game because they're in the SEC.

www.Atlbucs.com
Facebook:  Atl Bucs

Runole

Hall of Famer
« #36 : April 26, 2011, 05:31:56 PM »

Well it does appear Javon got a bit tongue tied with his thoughts and was trying to relay two at once..  Yes he is loyal to FSU but that the SEC usually gets the nod over the ACC when it comes to the MNC game.

That is what I concluded.  Wonder why the video stopped mid sentence??

Hey he transferred from Juco like Cam Newton and Reggie Nelson.  None will be confused with being scholarly.  All are still outstanding athletes.

Your point?

And how  a former player fumbling on his reply has anything to do with FSU today?

Oh wait I get it   This was attempt at a  joke!!  That is REALLY FUNNY!! :D

In that same vein... Kind of like

Miami Dolphins’ LB Channing Crowder seriously doesn’t know where London is. Like, he seriously doesn’t know.

Here’s a quote from him:

“I couldn’t find London on a map if they didn’t have the names of the countries,” Crowder said. “I swear to God. I don’t know what nothing is. I know Italy looks like a boot. I learned that.

“I know (Washington Redskins linebacker) London Fletcher. We did a football camp together. So I know him. That’s the closest thing I know to London. He’s black, so I’m sure he’s not from London. I’m sure that’s a coincidental name.”

It should be noted that the Dolphins have a guy on the practice squad named Marvin Allen, who is from the UK. When asked about him, Chowder replied:

“He’s from London?” Crowder said. “I knew he was from over there because he talks funny. I was surprised (when they met) because - I don’t want to say he didn’t look the part because that’s a stereotype - but he didn’t look the part. I heard him talk, and I thought he had a recorder and was just mouthing.”

They’re really producing some brains at the University of Florida these days, eh?

Hey and Crowder didn't even come from Juco!! :o

Hey Fitz aren't you a WV fan?    Do we wish to go to the academic prowess of  Noel Devine?

link   http://miamisportsblog.com/2007/10/25/channing-crowder-doesnt-know-where-london-is/

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #37 : April 26, 2011, 06:44:38 PM »

but that the SEC usually gets the nod over the ACC when it comes to the MNC game.

when has this happened?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

« #38 : April 26, 2011, 06:56:27 PM »

we're in the sec? thats news to me

and lol at channing crowder. hes sucha **CENSORED**

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

« #39 : April 26, 2011, 08:29:16 PM »

Well it does appear Javon got a bit tongue tied with his thoughts and was trying to relay two at once..  Yes he is loyal to FSU but that the SEC usually gets the nod over the ACC when it comes to the MNC game.

Hey he transferred from Juco like Cam Newton and Reggie Nelson.  None will be confused with being scholarly.  All are still outstanding athletes.

Your point?

And how  a former player fumbling on his reply has anything to do with FSU today?

Miami Dolphins’ LB Channing Crowder seriously doesn’t know where London is. Like, he seriously doesn’t know.

Here’s a quote from him:

“I couldn’t find London on a map if they didn’t have the names of the countries,” Crowder said. “I swear to God. I don’t know what nothing is. I know Italy looks like a boot. I learned that.

“I know (Washington Redskins linebacker) London Fletcher. We did a football camp together. So I know him. That’s the closest thing I know to London. He’s black, so I’m sure he’s not from London. I’m sure that’s a coincidental name.”

It should be noted that the Dolphins have a guy on the practice squad named Marvin Allen, who is from the UK. When asked about him, Chowder replied:

“He’s from London?” Crowder said. “I knew he was from over there because he talks funny. I was surprised (when they met) because - I don’t want to say he didn’t look the part because that’s a stereotype - but he didn’t look the part. I heard him talk, and I thought he had a recorder and was just mouthing.”

They’re really producing some brains at the University of Florida these days, eh?

Hey Fitz aren't you a WV fan?    Do we wish to go to the academic prowess of  Noel Devine?

link   http://miamisportsblog.com/2007/10/25/channing-crowder-doesnt-know-where-london-is/

Well that was quite the long reaction.  I don't care who he is or where he went to school - thats pretty funny.

Sure, lets compare Devine and Walker (and wait for you to use the fact that Devine has kids against hiim)

Degree
Devine 1
Walker 0

Caught with banned substances
Devine 0
Walker 1

Went to Community College out of High School
Devine N
Walker Y

That's about all I know about the two.  Please enlighten me further.

www.Atlbucs.com

Runole

Hall of Famer
« #40 : April 29, 2011, 09:42:23 AM »

Your point?

Here’s a quote from him:

Well that was quite the long reaction.  I don't care who he is or where he went to school - thats pretty funny.

Sure, lets compare Devine and Walker (and wait for you to use the fact that Devine has kids against hiim)

Degree
Devine 1
Walker 0

Devine 0
Walker 1

Devine N
Walker Y

Walker proven NFL starter .....   Devine ?

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

« #41 : April 29, 2011, 10:05:36 AM »

Your point?

Here’s a quote from him:

Degree
Devine 1
Walker 0

Devine 0
Walker 1

Devine N
Walker Y

Walker proven NFL starter .....   Devine ?

What does that have to do with  the "academic prowess" you wanted to discuss?

Your best bet was making a Pacman reference and you blew it.

www.Atlbucs.com

flash_kiley

Second String

« #42 : May 05, 2011, 01:57:04 PM »

On an FSU note I think Nigel Bradham is gonna blow up next year. And Xavier Rhodes will be 1st team All-ACC.

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

« #43 : August 07, 2011, 05:27:30 PM »

On an FSU note I think Nigel Bradham is gonna blow up next year. And Xavier Rhodes will be 1st team All-ACC.

Agreed on both counts.  Bradham has been a solid player(led the team in tackles the last 2 years) but he hasn't been the explosive playmaker we all thought he'd be.  But he has shown improvement each year so I expect big things from him as a senior.  Rhodes is good.  In fact, he could be NFL good.  He is so much more consistent than Reid.  The Defense really improved with Stoops and with all the depth and talent we have on that side of the ball things are looking very good in Tally.  Fall Practice begins tomorrow!

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

« #44 : August 07, 2011, 09:18:21 PM »

Bradham is playing out of position at FSU. hes a natural middle linebacker. he will be a perfect fit as a 3-4 inside backer in the nfl. his size and athleticism are perfect. if he goes somewhere like pittsburgh and plays alongside timmons when farrior retires they will be straight nasty.

i still dont get why hes not playing the mike position. hes good as a weakside backer but hes be amazing as a middle
  Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: FSU next year « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools