Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Would spending $15k to upgrade old computers to Windows 7 make good business $ « previous next »
Page: 1

OneTruth

Pro Bowler

: March 16, 2011, 05:49:30 AM

I found this article interesting since recently I have personally worked for  several companies that are desperately clinging to legacy hardware/software because of the costs involved in upgrading... it is a maddeningly slow process compared to my home PC (windows 7 & core i7), so I wondered is there really a cost / benefit for spending hard cold cash to upgrade old slow computers??

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/221674/microsoft_dell_small_business_makeover_project.html

: March 16, 2011, 05:51:26 AM OneTruth

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#1 : March 16, 2011, 08:31:33 PM

how old and how slow?

In the article both bizs were running XP so I doubt it was that slow.

what i'd want to know is what is the advantage in upgrading to Windows 7? After that disaster called Vista, I'd sure as heck be hesitant to switch a business over, especially a POS system. A lot of older POS systems won't work on 7, so know you not only have to buy 7, but you have to buy an upgraded POS and those usually start around $1500/pop plus the POS tech guys have to come out to do the install at $xx hundred/hour. I have a customer that just looked into having his server for his Restaurant POS upgraded (he has 3 terminals) and the Aloha (POS software) guys quoted him a 5 hour minimum at $250.00/hr but said it could take longer.

The only benefit I see is if some new software that only runs on Windows 7/Windows Server '08 was necessary for the business (like you had to have this software to get a Govt. or large corp. accnt).

I remember when Tech Data switched from their old Unix based system to a Windows NT system and 2 weeks later (right before Christmas) it crashed causing them to lose several BILLION in orders.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#2 : March 17, 2011, 08:55:57 AM

If Microsoft and Dell are going to pick up the tab, don't see any reason why not. However, the VERY first thing you need to check before you change your operating system is are all the applications you run, especially any business critical systems (i.e HRM, OE etc ) compatible? I have seen a number of businesses upgrade their systems (especially front end) then find out they won't work.

In short, a lot more planning and forward thinking is required before diving in. More "speed" is normally a very low priority unless you are currently experiencing performance issues.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#3 : March 17, 2011, 06:10:03 PM

The operating system is not going to increase the speed of your computer. So why switch? Upgrade your processors and add more ram. You should be golden then. Infact Windows XP is still the best windows OP out there. Vista was a failure and cost a lot of your CPU usage. Windows 7 isn't bad, but the support for it just isn't out yet. You will still find programs that don't even work with 64 bit yet.

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Would spending $15k to upgrade old computers to Windows 7 make good business $ « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools