Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Riddle me this.... « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#60 : March 22, 2011, 06:40:07 PM

I thought I had added this.... 6:38.... monster move.
Actually, watching this reminded me that McCoy was milliseconds away from have 7-8 sacks. He can play 3 technique if he plays like this again, especially if he gets help on the edge

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#61 : March 22, 2011, 06:40:58 PM

more importantly, let's see Brian Price actually do something in a game.
yes, this too. I hope he can live up to the hype he was getting in training camp, but I'd like to see it on Sunday

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#62 : March 22, 2011, 06:54:25 PM

McCoy is not Peppers, Strahan, nor Reggie White.
I would rather wait until I saw him play that position in the pros for a couple years before I made a judgement about how good he is.  My point was/is that it isn't just the DE that lines up over the LT that can/does have an impact.
Julius Peppers is the most physically gifted defensive end of the last ten years, Michael Strahan is #5 on the all-time sacks list, and Reggie White is the greatest defensive end in the history of the NFL. There's nothing in McCoy's pro or college career to even remotely suggest he's in the conversation with those guys.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

watson

Hall of Famer
#63 : March 23, 2011, 03:56:22 AM

McCoy is not Peppers, Strahan, nor Reggie White.
I would rather wait until I saw him play that position in the pros for a couple years before I made a judgement about how good he is.  My point was/is that it isn't just the DE that lines up over the LT that can/does have an impact.
Julius Peppers is the most physically gifted defensive end of the last ten years, Michael Strahan is #5 on the all-time sacks list, and Reggie White is the greatest defensive end in the history of the NFL. There's nothing in McCoy's pro or college career to even remotely suggest he's in the conversation with those guys.
I don't disagree with your thoughts on those 3 players.  But, I don't pretend to know how good or how bad McCoy could/would be playing the position.  He may never amount to anything, but he may.  I'm not smart enough to see the future.  But, the point of my post to begin with is there are players...and not just these 3...that have been dominant from the LDE position.  Everyone is fixated on getting a RDE, but there are players that can make as big an impact at the LDE position.

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#64 : March 23, 2011, 09:23:28 AM

Both (reggie white&mike strahan) of those players were prototypical pass-rushing "RDE"'s, regardless of where they lined up.

reggie white was 6-5 300, mike strahan 6-5 255.  what do you mean by prototypical?

Pass-rushing defensive ends.  Generally, the best pass-rusher is the RDE going up against the best pass-protector in the LOT.  Defensive Coordinators starting switching that up by putting their best pass-rusher (who would normally be the RDE) on the left side to go up against the other team's weakest pass-protecting OT.

I still maintain McCoy benefitted from the hype of going to a premier school like Oklahoma right after Tommie Harris

Why didn't Allen Patrick, Chris Brown, and DeMarco Murray receive these same benefits after following Adrian Peterson at Oklahoma?

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#65 : March 23, 2011, 09:32:55 AM

I still maintain McCoy benefitted from the hype of going to a premier school like Oklahoma right after Tommie Harris

Why didn't Allen Patrick, Chris Brown, and DeMarco Murray receive these same benefits after following Adrian Peterson at Oklahoma?
They did for a little while but RB is a very stat-friendly position. Eventually if you're not producing at a high level, people are going to notice and can make their own evaluations. DT is a position where all the above average players have similar stats so casual fans really can't make any definitive judgements on their own. They have to wait for the gurus to tell us who are the best ones.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#66 : March 23, 2011, 10:46:30 AM

They did for a little while

I don't ever remember those guys getting top billing as RB's, even though they had one of the best RB's on the team before them.

I don't think Tommy Harris had a thing to do with Gerald McCoy's hype.

4bucs

Hall of Famer

#67 : March 23, 2011, 12:18:43 PM

whats wrong with playing McCoy at lde especially when you have price,miller,okam and woods.....doesn't have to be all the time.....the main thing we need in this draft is a good pass rushing rde.....maybe 2.....lets not forget bennett ,crowder and magee .......we could see at least 2 of them playing some lde......morris  will have mccoy playing different spots on the line......hell even the lions move suh around......morris likes to change it up ....the best thing we could get in this draft is 2 guys like houston and reed to play rde....we already have plenty for lde.

LABuc

Starter
#68 : March 23, 2011, 03:23:42 PM

I thought I had added this.... 6:38.... monster move.
Actually, watching this reminded me that McCoy was milliseconds away from have 7-8 sacks. He can play 3 technique if he plays like this again, especially if he gets help on the edge
Exactly. I recall many times McCoy had full penetration and the DE's were nowhere to be seen. Rarely did the DE's force the opposing QB to step up into the pocket or force him to spend an extra half second and move to avoid contact. Personally, I think McCoy will be a monster down the road, but he had little to no help on the edges....

Derrick Brooks, NFL Hall of Fame Class of 2014.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#69 : March 23, 2011, 07:41:31 PM

I've been watching the defensive snaps of this season the past few weeks and one thing I noticed is our DEs actually did get a good amount of pressure last season. The problem was finishing. Far too often the QB easily side steps our DEs and delivers a strike. We need explosive DEs that get faster and more violent the closer they get to the QB. Guys who finish.

Draft Aaron Donald

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#70 : March 23, 2011, 07:58:42 PM

Hmmm - not so much DE pressure from my viewings though it has been a while - and I didn't keep the recordings.  Not very much at all.  Which games did you go back and look at JDouble?

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#71 : March 23, 2011, 08:06:43 PM

All of them. They didn't get consistent pressure by any means, but there seemed to be about 5 times per game where one of our DEs would get immediate penetration but then miss the ball carrier or QB. Sacks and TFL are rare....especially for the Bucs lately. These guys need to make sure they finish the job when they get the opportunity. That's one thing I really love about Kerrigan. He always finishes.

Maybe our new D-line coaches will put more importance on finishing.

Draft Aaron Donald

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#72 : March 23, 2011, 08:22:51 PM

All of them. They didn't get consistent pressure by any means, but there seemed to be about 5 times per game where one of our DEs would get immediate penetration but then miss the ball carrier or QB. Sacks and TFL are rare....especially for the Bucs lately. These guys need to make sure they finish the job when they get the opportunity. That's one thing I really love about Kerrigan. He always finishes.

All season the LDEs did a horrible job of keeping contain as well, giving the QB an escape route to roll out and complete a pass when otherwise we could have had a sack.  Whoever we end up with at LDE, I hope they are assignment-sound and keep contain.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#73 : March 24, 2011, 09:59:39 AM

All season the LDEs did a horrible job of keeping contain as well, giving the QB an escape route to roll out and complete a pass when otherwise we could have had a sack.  Whoever we end up with at LDE, I hope they are assignment-sound and keep contain.

Well Kyle Moore is a complete turd, but I thought through the final 6 games Alex Magee actually looked very good at LDE. I think he could be a solid starter going forward. I also think Doug Worthington is going to surprise a lot of people this year in camp....if there is a camp! Worthington isn't much of a pass rusher but he is strong and mean with ridiculously long arms. He excels at controlling the RT and disengaging at will to shut down anything that comes his way. He can move inside too. I think he'll keep his spot on the roster this year as a rotational guy. They both have the size and ability to play inside as well, so I think that versatility ends up winning them spots on the final 53 as LE/NT.

I hope there is a camp this year because we have great competition on the D-line and we'll probably be adding a few more through the draft and FA. I'm assuming Moore and White will be gone. That leaves us with...

McCoy - 6'4" 295lbs
Price - 6'1" 305lbs
Miller - 6'2" 310lbs
Woods - 6'4" 315lbs
Okam - 6'5" 340lbs
Magee - 6'3" 295lbs
Worthington - 6'5" 295lbs

That is 7 guys that are at 300lbs or more. Many of them can play inside or outside at LE. It will be fun to see the competition in camp and see who rises up to earn their spot on the final 53. Plus I'm moving back to Tampa in about a week....so I'll actually be able to go watch training camp this year. Sure hope this players vs. owners garbage gets worked out soon!

We have some smaller DEs like Crowder, Bennett, and George Johnson, but they are all smaller guys that will probably be competing at RE.

Draft Aaron Donald

Page: 1 ... 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Riddle me this.... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools