Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: C JORDAN VS J WATT « previous next »
Page: 1 2

ISLAND BUCS

Starter

: March 22, 2011, 12:43:59 AM

In the past a number on this board, including myself, have posted in favor of C. Jordan. Yet when I compare him to J. Watt, I am not sure.  In terms of production last year J. Watt seems to have slightly better numbers.  In terms of numbers at the combine, Jordan is faster in the 40, but Watt is more agile in the cone etc.
Watt did better in the press is taller and somewhat bigger.  In watching film, Watt seems more disruptive than Jordan.  Most drafts, eg Draft Coutdown and Walters, have Watt going higher than Jordan.  I have seen on film, Watt playing LDE but also on occasions RDE, and I have heard Jordan say he played DE in a 4-3 at some point in college.

I don't buy the argument that LDE is a secondary position.  That retired pro-bowler of the Giants did a tremendous job at LDE, so if I have to chose between a good RDE and an all-pro LDE, I take the better player, regardless of position.

So my question to the board is: if your choice was limited to Jordan or Watt,, whom would you choose????

BuccaneerJosh

Rookie
#1 : March 22, 2011, 01:21:34 AM

I watched a little bit of tape on both of them. Watt seems to be a more dominant player. I doubt the Bucs get either one, but I think Jordan would be more likely of the two.

conrad77

Pro Bowler

#2 : March 22, 2011, 01:38:04 AM

Jordan seems to be the high potential pick, but Watt looks a bit safer.  That being said, they are probably going just a bit before our pick.  If Watt falls to 17 or so, I could see making a move, but wouldn't for Jordan.  That being said, I imagine he will go earlier.  Also, If we are trading up for a DE, I say make it a splash and go for Quinn if he hits 11 or 12.  He seems very disruptive and would be a major boon to the line.  Not that others wouldn't, but he really seems to be at a more elite level.  If Quinn isn't reachable, I honestly would rather wait till 20 and see who drops.  Watt looks good, but I am not sure if he is really worth losing picks over.

[Add witty one liner here]

BuccaneerJosh

Rookie
#3 : March 22, 2011, 02:03:02 AM

Totally agree conrad. I think Quinn is the only one worth trading up for other than Bowers. I'd be happy with Kerrigan or Houston at 20 though.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#4 : March 22, 2011, 02:13:37 AM

Not a big draftnik, but I thought JJ was more of a 3-4 guy.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

BuccaneerJosh

Rookie
#5 : March 22, 2011, 03:51:33 AM

He has the ability to but from what I've seen he plays with his hand on the ground. Wisconsin even put him inside a few time I believe on  passing downs.

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#6 : March 22, 2011, 06:04:26 AM

Watts is the more explosive of the two, has a bigger ceiling and is much bigger overall.

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#7 : March 22, 2011, 02:36:43 PM

Watts is the more explosive of the two, has a bigger ceiling and is much bigger overall.

That's what seperates Watt from the other DEs, but if Cameron Jordan cut weight from 287 to about 270 he could have that same quickness.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#8 : March 22, 2011, 02:44:18 PM

That's what seperates Watt from the other DEs, but if Cameron Jordan cut weight from 287 to about 270 he could have that same quickness.
Exactly, and we all know why, don't we?

He wants to be a blind side rusher, and those guys have a certain physical archetype to them. 

Jordan in a landslide for me, dude is going to be a solid pro, he is no slouch physically (run defense), he hits hard, he is well coached, and he can be utilized in any hybrid scheme Rah uses.

He can beef up, he can slim down, he can play on the right or left side, and he can anchor as an end in a 3-4 should Rah go that route.

Cam Jordan > JJ Watt

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#9 : March 22, 2011, 02:47:03 PM

I don't buy the argument that LDE is a secondary position.  That retired pro-bowler of the Giants did a tremendous job at LDE, so if I have to chose between a good RDE and an all-pro LDE, I take the better player, regardless of position.
Worth noting that Strahan had 19 sacks as a college senior and 14.5 as a junior. Granted this was in 1-AA, but that's still a level of production Watt and Jordan have never come close to. There's nothing about Watt and Jordan that says they'll ever average more than 6 sacks a year in the NFL.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

PassThePigSkin

Hall of Famer

#10 : March 22, 2011, 02:47:20 PM

Watt. He is a former TE with good speed for the DE position. Hardworker and stout against the run, give him a good Dline coach so he can really turn his game up against the pass he will be Elite one day.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#11 : March 22, 2011, 05:04:45 PM

They are both studs. Watt plays with a little more strength, while Jordan has a bit more finesse when needed....but both all well rounded great football players. I'd take either one in a heartbeat.

Draft Aaron Donald

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#12 : March 22, 2011, 05:13:11 PM

like 'em both.  not to mix threads, but jordan, watt, kerrigan, clayborn...lot of guys that could work

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#13 : January 22, 2013, 03:46:20 PM

Exactly, and we all know why, don't we?

He wants to be a blind side rusher, and those guys have a certain physical archetype to them. 

Jordan in a landslide for me, dude is going to be a solid pro, he is no slouch physically (run defense), he hits hard, he is well coached, and he can be utilized in any hybrid scheme Rah uses.

He can beef up, he can slim down, he can play on the right or left side, and he can anchor as an end in a 3-4 should Rah go that route.

Cam Jordan > JJ Watt

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#14 : January 22, 2013, 04:38:16 PM

JJ Watt is one of the best defenders in the league. Who could have predicted that?

Jordan had a decent season. He is rounding out nicely.

Watt > Jordan.

But how about that Luke McCown?

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: C JORDAN VS J WATT « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools