Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Kerrigan or Clayborn? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 10

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
: March 22, 2011, 10:28:29 AM

I'm not in love with either guy, but much like about this time last year I had to accept that we weren't getting Suh I'm coming to accept that unless the Bucs move up into the top 15 we are not getting Smith or Houston. Unless we move into the top 10 we are not getting Quinn or Miller (I do think Miller will make it closer to 10 though).

My personal opinion is that Clayborn is the more athletically gifted player, and that even though he has about 20 pounds on Kerrigan he has more speed rush to his game. You don't have to worry about Kerrigan's motor, but Clayborn has the higher ceiling and is the more versatile player so he would be my pick.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#1 : March 22, 2011, 10:47:43 AM

Neither. Tell what you see happening in the draft that has Miller, Quinn, Houston, Bowers, Smith, Jordan, and Watt all going before Kerrigan and Clayborn and all in the top 20? 7 out of 19 picks on DE/OLB? Add in QBs Gabbert, Newton, Locker, WRs Green, Jones, CBs Peterson, Akumura, Smith, DTs Dareus, Fairely, Wilkerson, OTs Smith, Soldier, Caramiri, Castonzo, and HB Ingram are all possible top 20 picks as well there are going to be more guys for the Bucs to choose from than just those two. I think some get wrapped up n the DEs being deep this year and get caught into thinking they are going to all go in the top 15. History tells us otherwise and some teams just have greater needs. Not every team takes the BPA...in fact many take BPA at positions of greatest need. And in all honesty, a lot of mocks have Kerrigan off the board by 20.

Beyond Bowers and Miller, I think the Bucs will have their chance to go after any other DE wether it be in a trade up or one of them just falling to the Bucs.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

michael89156

Hall of Famer

#2 : March 22, 2011, 11:04:57 AM

Clayborn seems to be dropping like a rock.

Iowa DE Adrian Clayborn managed just 17 reps of 225 pounds at the Hawkeyes' Pro Day on Monday.
He didn't bench at the Combine due to injury. Clayborn only has 32 1/2-inch arms, so he held an innate advantage and probably should've at least hit 25 reps. NFL.com's Gil Brandt calls Clayborn's bench press total a "slight concern" for teams, who are also wary of Clayborn's Erb Palsy. NFL Network's Mike Lombardi does not believe Clayborn will be a first-round pick.

Source: NFL.com Mar 21, 10:16 PM

And Kerrigan rising:

Sources tell SI.com's Tony Pauline that Purdue DE Ryan Kerrigan's draft stock is on the rise to the point where he could be a top-15 pick.
Teams drafting in the 11-15 range that might seriously consider Kerrigan include the Texans (No. 11), Vikings (12), and Rams (14). He's been heavily linked to the Jaguars. Opinions among draftniks on Kerrigan seem scattered, but his college production was arguably the finest of any pass rusher available for April's draft. We certainly don't think he'll get out of the top 20.

Source: TFY Draft Insider Mar 22, 12:31 AM
: March 22, 2011, 11:09:10 AM michael89156

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#3 : March 22, 2011, 11:15:51 AM

Clayborn seems to be dropping like a rock.

Iowa DE Adrian Clayborn managed just 17 reps of 225 pounds at the Hawkeyes' Pro Day on Monday.
He didn't bench at the Combine due to injury. Clayborn only has 32 1/2-inch arms, so he held an innate advantage and probably should've at least hit 25 reps. NFL.com's Gil Brandt calls Clayborn's bench press total a "slight concern" for teams, who are also wary of Clayborn's Erb Palsy. NFL Network's Mike Lombardi does not believe Clayborn will be a first-round pick.

Source: NFL.com Mar 21, 10:16 PM

That's interesting, because the actual article they sourced for that is titled: "Clayborn, Stanzi improve stock at Iowa pro day"

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/03/21/clayborn-stanzi-improve-stock-at-iowa-pro-day/

No Hawkeye caught the attention of pro scouts more than DE Adrian Clayborn, who looked really good in his workout in front of D-line coaches from Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Arizona, and Cincinnati. Clayborn (6-3 1/8, 278 pounds) did a vertical jump of 35 inches and a broad jump of 9-6. He posted a time of 7.08 seconds in the short shuttle and did 17 bench-press repetitions at 225 pounds.

The number of lifts could be a slight concern, because Clayborn is not as strong as most DEs, but he is very explosive. Hes got a great first move, which is why he will be a top-20 pick.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#4 : March 22, 2011, 11:26:21 AM

Clayborn and Kerrigan both have the tape, ability and proven production.

Clayborn has a few too many flags for my liking - but we are not talking about a top 10 pick.  The question is, at 20 are those reasonable concerns and not show stoppers?

Kerrigan really doesn't have a flag, at all.   Hence my preference and for that matter, apparently every other team looking at DE from 10-20...

We'll get one...   Kerrigan, Heyward, Smith, Houston.    I'm good with any of the four anywhere btwn 15-20.   I can definitely see the Bucs jumping up to Miami's spot to get Heyward and maybe even Kerrigan.   I get a very distinct and strong feeling that Dominick WILL go get THAT guy, this year.... that nothing else will be acceptable in his eyes...

Clayborn is my least favorite 1/2 round DE and hasn't been in or scheduled for a visit.  I really don't think he's on our Bucs radar.

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#5 : March 22, 2011, 12:56:41 PM

No Hawkeye caught the attention of pro scouts more than DE Adrian Clayborn

This isn't that great of a compliment.

chrisras

Starter

#6 : March 22, 2011, 01:00:06 PM

Wow. Thats a tough one. I'd be happy with either of them.

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#7 : March 22, 2011, 02:47:05 PM

For the record I would rather have Kerrigan, but think we might have to move up to get him.  Clayborn would still be a big updgrade to our D-line, though.  On Path to the Draft Michael Lombardi took issue with not being sure what position Clayborn would be best suited to, 3-4 DE or 4-3 DE or DT.  That was the main reason he said he wouldn't take him before the 2nd round, because he didn't have a clear picture where he would play.  To me the scheme versatility is a plus, not a minus.  I think the Bucs would also see it as a plus.  Here's another eval of the pro day.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-03-21/clayborn-stars-in-iowas-pro-day

"Heralded defensive end Adrian Clayborn proved to many why he is one of the safest picks in this years draft despite concerns about his right arm/shoulder (Urbs Palsy). According to NFL personnel in attendance, Clayborn looked very good in all the drills -- he was smooth and fluid, and he showed the explosiveness that gets NFL teams excited.

Clayborn showed he'll be able to threaten the corner as a 4-3 end, even though he's big for the position. One of our sources said defensive line coaches at the workout -- coaches from the Cincinnati Bengals, Baltimore Ravens and Carolina Panthers primarily oversaw D-line drills -- asked Clayborn to put his right hand on the ground in a three-point stance. He mostly played with his left hand on the ground at Iowa.

He also displayed surprising athletic ability in linebacker drills.

As a bonus, Clayborn showed leadership qualities and an ability to be a "team" player."

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#8 : March 22, 2011, 03:12:25 PM

No Hawkeye caught the attention of pro scouts more than DE Adrian Clayborn

This isn't that great of a compliment.
(laughs)

Agree.

And 17 reps is really really bad.

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#9 : March 22, 2011, 04:22:11 PM

Yeah, this thread already changed my mind. Kerrigan before Clayborn.

My board goes Miller, Quinn, Bowers, Smith, Houston, Kerrigan.

DefenseWins

Hall of Famer

#10 : March 22, 2011, 04:43:11 PM

Kerrigan.

Who else had 17 reps? Sapp.

It is a new day in TAMPA BAY!    GO BUCS!!

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#11 : March 22, 2011, 04:49:02 PM

The 17 reps are more indicative of Clayborn's health issue than his functional strength.  He's got the strongest punch/club in the draft.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#12 : March 22, 2011, 04:59:48 PM

Kerrigan or Clayborn?

That's like asking whether I want a Crown and Coke or a Natty Ice.

Must be a trick question cause the answer is too obvious.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#13 : March 22, 2011, 05:11:10 PM

im very happy with either one. 

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#14 : March 22, 2011, 06:50:45 PM

Both please
Page: 1 2 3 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Kerrigan or Clayborn? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools