Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Kerrigan or Clayborn? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 10

4bucs

Hall of Famer

« #15 : March 22, 2011, 11:19:59 PM »

Neither. Tell what you see happening in the draft that has Miller, Quinn, Houston, Bowers, Smith, Jordan, and Watt all going before Kerrigan and Clayborn and all in the top 20? 7 out of 19 picks on DE/OLB? Add in QBs Gabbert, Newton, Locker, WRs Green, Jones, CBs Peterson, Akumura, Smith, DTs Dareus, Fairely, Wilkerson, OTs Smith, Soldier, Caramiri, Castonzo, and HB Ingram are all possible top 20 picks as well there are going to be more guys for the Bucs to choose from than just those two. I think some get wrapped up n the DEs being deep this year and get caught into thinking they are going to all go in the top 15. History tells us otherwise and some teams just have greater needs. Not every team takes the BPA...in fact many take BPA at positions of greatest need. And in all honesty, a lot of mocks have Kerrigan off the board by 20.

Beyond Bowers and Miller, I think the Bucs will have their chance to go after any other DE wether it be in a trade up or one of them just falling to the Bucs.
its almost humorous.....that most on the board can't add....theres 2cbs,2 wrs,a rb,3 dts 3 lts,2lbs,3 qbs.....thats a possible 16 and none are des......we should have our pick imo.
« : March 22, 2011, 11:26:52 PM 4bucs »

BucNY

Hall of Famer

« #16 : March 24, 2011, 10:05:21 AM »

Kerrrigan a 1,000 times.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #17 : March 24, 2011, 11:03:43 AM »

Clayborn and Kerrigan both have the tape, ability and proven production.

With Clayborn he has "proven" production as long as you mean 2 years ago and only 1 of his 4 years at Iowa did he prove he could produce. It is like people who think he's an R1 pick just want to ignore that the 2010 season happened.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #18 : March 24, 2011, 01:14:36 PM »

it's a subjective descriptor Dal, for sure.

Go get Bridgewater.   Do what it takes.

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
« #19 : March 24, 2011, 04:51:01 PM »

I don't ignore his 2010 season, but I expect the Bucs are going to do their homework and evaluate the drop in production.  I personally don't have the time or motivation to watch gametapes.   I watched the bowl game against Missouri, and I didn't think it was as bad as many people have made it out to be.  I also watched last year's bowl game against Georgia Tech, and he was unblockable.  Like most people on these boards, whether they'd like to admit it or not, I'm not an expert who knows what nuances in the position to look for.   I have to rely on other evaluators and trust they have more knowledge than myself. 

I have seen more sources that attribute the change in production to teams gameplanning against him.  That includes double and triple teaming him, running the ball away from him, and lots of screen passes and other quick releases toward the other side of the field.

I have seen some sources that question his effort and stamina.  If the Bucs feel this is the case, as PR seems to, than I hope they pass or trade down to take him later.  We'll get our answer in a month.

Kerrigan2011

Starter

« #20 : March 24, 2011, 05:31:00 PM »

Ryan Kerrigan is such a solid safe pick. He is everything that the Bucs need. Too many times have we reached in the past on potential rather then production. Why gamble with a guy who "HAD" the potential to be a top-10 pick in Adrian Clayborn, who by all accounts is not as polished as a pass rusher,  as Kerrigan. Kerrigan is a Jared Allen/Aaron Kampman high motor guy that would be perfect for Tampa. We need to invest in the DL heavily this draft so we can get back to Buc Ball. Just think of him as our White Simeon Rice to rebuild that monster DL.

Ryan Kerrigan for 2011 Please!!!

Captain Hindsight

Hall of Famer

« #21 : March 24, 2011, 05:43:00 PM »

Ryan Kerrigan is such a solid safe pick. He is everything that the Bucs need. Too many times have we reached in the past on potential rather then production. Why gamble with a guy who "HAD" the potential to be a top-10 pick in Adrian Clayborn, who by all accounts is not as polished as a pass rusher,  as Kerrigan. Kerrigan is a Jared Allen/Aaron Kampman high motor guy that would be perfect for Tampa. We need to invest in the DL heavily this draft so we can get back to Buc Ball. Just think of him as our White Simeon Rice to rebuild that monster DL.

A "high motor" isn't what makes Jared Allen great. Please cease all future Ryan Kerrigan/Jared Allen comparisons. They're both white, that's where it ends.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #22 : March 24, 2011, 08:58:24 PM »

I'm usually the one rolling my eyes every time a white prospect gets compared only to white players, but with Kerrigan and Jared Allen the comparison is right on. They both have the non stop high motor, they use more power than finesse, they both have heavy hands, they both win by trying harder than the other guy rather than with elite athleticism, and both seem to get faster and more violent the closer they get to the QB. They are both hard nosed grinders and most importantly they don't just get pressure, once they get in the back field they finish the job.

Draft Aaron Donald

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
« #23 : March 25, 2011, 10:01:01 AM »

I'm usually the one rolling my eyes every time a white prospect gets compared only to white players, but with Kerrigan and Jared Allen the comparison is right on. They both have the non stop high motor, they use more power than finesse, they both have heavy hands, they both win by trying harder than the other guy rather than with elite athleticism, and both seem to get faster and more violent the closer they get to the QB. They are both hard nosed grinders and most importantly they don't just get pressure, once they get in the back field they finish the job.

I completely disagree. Jared Allen is 6' 6" and built more like Simeon Rice. Kerrigan is 6' 4" and built more like Aaron Kampan. Allen has a motor, but he also has a speed rush something that is not a strong suit in Kerrigan and Kampan's game.

If you want somebody who is not white to compare Kerrigan to, I'd say Ray Edwards (who is a Purdue product as well).   Jaren Allen is a 13 sack a year guy, and Kerrigan like Kampan and Edwards looks like he will be an 8 sack a year a guy. Speed rush makes all the difference.
« : March 25, 2011, 10:07:50 AM BucsPirate1 »

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #24 : March 25, 2011, 10:21:09 AM »

No speed rush? ok.....

Draft Aaron Donald

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #25 : March 25, 2011, 10:32:44 AM »

Looks the same to me. They both have a knack for fighting thru the garbage and getting to the QB with their speed/strength and both have the same ferocious style.

Draft Aaron Donald

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #26 : March 25, 2011, 10:34:57 AM »

Everybody gets an opinion, and I realize nobody's is right or wrong. Mine just happens to be that Ryan Kerrigan is the best pass rushing 4-3 DE in this draft. Period. Not even close. There are some guys that might be better at other things, but if we want a guy that is going to give 110% every down and get constant pressure and draw constant double teams....we should pray for Kerrigan. He is relentless.

Draft Aaron Donald

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
« #27 : March 25, 2011, 10:37:18 AM »

Thanks for makiing me take a look again. I think I got a little bit turned off watching Kerrigan highlights before because they were so many plays where no one seemed to block him, but taking a closer look I may well have been wrong about him. I feel much more comfortable with the possiblity of picking Kerrigan now and whether it is Smith, Houston, Kerrigan we can get a good player at 20.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #28 : March 25, 2011, 10:39:20 AM »

I'll say that Kerrigan is no Rice...   that guy had true elite speed and balance.

Kerrigan is the freakin' energizer bunny and has a speed rush, but it's only about 3/4's of what Rice's was IIRC.

A solid player, no flags and has all the want to in the world.   I'd love for Kerrigan to be a buc.

Definitely (IMO) compares favorably to Aaron Campman and equates to a young Michael Strahan (power/speed)  (Yeah, I said it.)

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #29 : March 25, 2011, 10:43:15 AM »

A little google tidbit I found about Kerrigan...

2011 NFL Draft Player Profile | Ryan Kerrigan
Written by Keet Bailey
Friday, 28 January 2011 11:03
No Comments The former three star recruit out of Muncie Central High School in Indiana has done nothing but make a name for himself as an athletic, high motor defensive end. He wasn’t very highly recruited, despite having 19 sacks in his senior year of high school.

Kerrigan is ready for the next level.
Kerrigan received a good amount of playing time as a true freshman. He burst on the scene in 2008 as a sophomore, starting 11 games for the Boilermakers, and began to make a true name for himself as one of the most underrated players in the Big Ten.

Player Name: Ryan Kerrigan

Position: Defensive End

School: Purdue

Height: 6’3 7/8

Weight: 267

Arm: 33 3/8

Strengths

One of Kerrigan’s biggest strength’s, is in fact his brute strength. He’s a physical bull rushing defensive end who uses his hands very well, knocking down the lineman’s initial punch to avoid being controlled. He gets inside of the lineman quickly, having an explosive first step, as well as power step on the inside pass rush. He gets up field in a hurry, catching slower offensive lineman off guard. He is a smart player who recognizes his opposition’s weaknesses. He has the quickness off the edge to be a speed rusher at times, and his excellent blend of quickness and strength sets him apart from a few others pass rushers in the 2011 NFL Draft. He’s an extremely hard worker, that some would call a “lunch pail” guy, who come to work, and gets the job done, no matter what he’s faced with.

Weaknesses

Some feel that Kerrigan is extremely athletic, but I am not crazy about his athleticism. While he’s not a stiff player, he’s just not very fluid overall, and that’s why I question him being able to transition to a 34 outside linebacker. He’s never truly been tested in coverage, and doesn’t really play well in space, which is huge for a 34 outside backer. I think his ceiling has somewhat been reached, and while he will be a very good pro, I don’t see him ever being a truly dominant defensive end. With the proper coaching, however, that could change.

Draft Range

I feel that Kerrigan has a more broad draft range than a few other prospects. The NFL Combine will tell us a lot more about his overall athleticism, and we’ll see if he has more range as a hybrid linebacker like some scouts feel he can be. As of right now, I could see him being selected between pick 14 and pick 29. St. Louis may try and improve their pass rush a bit more and grab him at selection 14 if a great wide receiver doesn’t fall to them. New England may try and convert him to the 34 outside linebacker position with the 17th pick as well. I think that Tampa Bay, Seattle, New Orleans, Baltimore and Chicago make a lot more sense with him around the 20-29 range, to play a pure 43 defensive end role.

NFL Comparison: Ray Edwards

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Kerrigan or Clayborn? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools