Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Ruud vs. Heyward « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

#15 : March 23, 2011, 01:14:16 PM

for those that might have forgotten  :P

\"I seen his aura or whatever...I seen it...it\'s orange...\"
- Un-named source on Lovie Smith

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#16 : March 23, 2011, 02:27:12 PM

No offense, but you are high as a kite if you "honestly" think Hayward is a better MLB than Ruud.

^^^This^^^

conrad77

Pro Bowler

#17 : March 23, 2011, 02:50:16 PM

Two points I would like to make.

First, this is why I like J-Double.  Any fan that goes to this much effort is die hard, no doubt.  I always appreciate the extra effort some make.  I am a draftnik, but have been too busy this year to get as involved as I usually like to do.  That being said, I try to put in an effort, either during the offseason, or helping with the PickEm challenge, etc.  There is a lot of time that goes into these kinds of things and I for one appreciate every poster who takes enough pride and ownership of this team to dedicate themselves without benefit.  Kudos.

Second, I agree on the assessment of Ruud.  Many of us have been saying this for a couple years now.  He has no natural instinct to play up on the line.  You can't call that protecting himself in a contract year because it has never been there.  He is a coverage MLB, end of story.  Could he play well for us, yes.  He has a good head for the game and offensive/defensive formations, but he is a major liability in regards to run defense and defensive adjustment after the snap.  If we had a monster line and picked up a guy like Akeem Ayers who could spy the RB, allowing Ruud to spy the QB, then it could work.  Personally, I don't see enough to justify a new contract.  Poor tackling, terrible footwork on adjustments and lack of killer instinct make him an average player who, based on system and position, will have high tackle stats that don't reflect his ineffectiveness.  I don't think there is enough film to give Heyward the job, but certainly a fair shot at it.  That being said, who do we bring in to compete????  Maybe if we trade away all of our picks for 20111 and 2012 and trade Ruud, we could just get Miller and Ayers this year along with Quinn.  It's so simple and fixes everything....lol

Nice post J

[Add witty one liner here]

ISLAND BUCS

Starter

#18 : March 23, 2011, 03:11:56 PM

Without taking sides on the issue of whether or not Ruud is the Bucs middle linebacker of the future, it is a bit one-sided to post the video of Ivory running over Ruud  without also mentioning that just a few minutes after that incident, when NO had on the same drive advanced the ball to the TB 4, Ruud cut thru the line and delivered a low hard tackle right on the ball propelled the ball backwards where TB recovered. In that particular play, Ruud did all that could be expected of a MLB.

Ruud may or not be the MLB for the future, but I have heard Morris talk well of him and I have read a post by Steve White where he was critical of those who criticized Ruud., and rated Ruud's play A-.

I have Morris and White on one side and some on this board on the other side.  Where is the truth???

Samari28

Hall of Famer
#19 : March 23, 2011, 04:37:22 PM

When did Ruud play MLB??  I didn't know they had a title for a player that runs as fast as he can away from first contact but is the one to jump on the pileand say hey, look at me as he wipes the hair out of his eyes and mouth??

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#20 : March 23, 2011, 05:06:16 PM

What a NFL middle linebacker should look like.

What I look like

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#21 : March 23, 2011, 06:44:59 PM

Without taking sides on the issue of whether or not Ruud is the Bucs middle linebacker of the future, it is a bit one-sided to post the video of Ivory running over Ruud  without also mentioning that just a few minutes after that incident, when NO had on the same drive advanced the ball to the TB 4, Ruud cut thru the line and delivered a low hard tackle right on the ball propelled the ball backwards where TB recovered. In that particular play, Ruud did all that could be expected of a MLB.

Ruud may or not be the MLB for the future, but I have heard Morris talk well of him and I have read a post by Steve White where he was critical of those who criticized Ruud., and rated Ruud's play A-.

I have Morris and White on one side and some on this board on the other side.  Where is the truth???

^^^This^^^

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#22 : March 23, 2011, 07:18:04 PM

I think Heyward shows a little mean streak. Something Ruud has none of.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#23 : March 23, 2011, 07:27:13 PM

If I stated the Hayward is a better MLB than Ruud, I apologize. I didn't mean to. There isn't enough tape to make that statement.

To be clear, what I'm saying is that we know that Hayward has cross trained as SLB and MLB for the past two years, and from watching his game film this year he seems to be better at shedding blocks and making plays close to the line of scrimmage. His coverage ability isn't great but he looks about as good as Ruud in coverage. I think with Black, McKenzie, and Hayward competing for the MLB spot, we would be fine if Ruud walks. That's all.

Draft Aaron Donald

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#24 : March 23, 2011, 08:13:31 PM

If I stated the Hayward is a better MLB than Ruud, I apologize. I didn't mean to. There isn't enough tape to make that statement.

To be clear, what I'm saying is that we know that Hayward has cross trained as SLB and MLB for the past two years, and from watching his game film this year he seems to be better at shedding blocks and making plays close to the line of scrimmage. His coverage ability isn't great but he looks about as good as Ruud in coverage. I think with Black, McKenzie, and Hayward competing for the MLB spot, we would be fine if Ruud walks. That's all.

Fair enough, but I'm still on the McKenzie train if Ruud were to walk. I just feel he's a better prospect than anybody else on the current roster or in the draft, for that matter (sans Martez Wilson).

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#25 : March 23, 2011, 08:18:23 PM

Mark my words, Martez Wilson will be a bust. He is the Sabby Piscatelli of MLBs.

Draft Aaron Donald

BucNGator

Starter

#26 : March 24, 2011, 02:57:09 AM

JD, It's amazing you could find the time to do this, great job!!  I'm going ALL IN on McKenzie.  Lot's of good things have been said internally (as posted here and around the web) about this kid.  I'm anxious to see him in the pre-season, take the job and not look back!!

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#27 : March 24, 2011, 03:43:28 AM

Wow...so you recapped a season in which we pretty much all watched, and told us that Ruud is soft?  What a waste of time.  You could have spent more time prepping the patio for the upcoming spring...the woman would love that.

Ruud made a few plays that stood out to me.  I recall that HUGE play he had against N.O. when his helmet hit the ball and knocked it loose.  And that was after a series of absolutely horrible plays.  Make no mistake, that was horrific, watching that game.  He made a play, and most of us were AMAZED it happened.  So with that said, I think it is more against the norm than than par for course, if you catch my meaning.

the Heap play was more Sabby's fault, if I recall correctly.  He bit hard on the run, and what happened was Ruud chasing a talented Heap down the field and getting outrun by him, which is no big feat, to be honest.  Ruud is no track star, and Heap on a straight line can be a strider.  He was pretty damned good a few years ago...anyways.

He also had a INT off a deflected pass if I recall correctly.  He just sort of "was in the right spot".  Kind of funny considering that is his modus operandi to begin with,  Being inthe right spot, and all.

I agree, he is the worst blitzer I have ever seen, and I said as much earlier in the year.  Much earlier.  He gets into a small area (i.e. a Phone Booth...do those exist anymore?), and he gets flummoxed, and pushed around like Mahan against Shaun Rogers.  He has no ability to get near a QB.  the closest he gets to a QB is when the plane hits the tarmac in his area code.  Or when he twirls Kyle Orton around like a top in Chicago (which was absolutely stellar, FWIW...and he also had an INCREDIBLE pick in that game...glad I was there to watch it...as well as Gaines remarkable INT return for a TD...that was awesome as well...I digress).

To be honest, Ruud is a decent cover linebacker.  The problem is inherent with the lack of pass rush.  A MLB is not going to stick with a TE for any longer than a few seconds after the snap, and that is fact.  You give a QB enough time, which the Bucs generally do, and you have to pray the man to man guys are elite to make a difference.  Think Talib...and sometimes Biggers makes plays on the ball.  Ruud is a MLB that needs a big time pass rush to be effective.  Him getting trucked in the N.O. game was sad, and watching him get toasted more than once covering a running back in the flats was sad as well, but he needs a pass rush to be effective.  ALL the guys do.

But Ruud is clearly replaceable.  He understands the nuances, we ALL get this concept.  It has been beaten about like three dead horses and a dead peasant.  No big news flash there.  He is a sound tackler, over 250 tackles over the last two years is indicative of that.  Actually...is it more like 300 hundred tackles?  For the most part he is asked to dip, and make a play when the run becomes obvious.  Because he lacks side to side speed, he has to plant and wait rather than give up more than 5 yards.  Of course the D-line could help by being more gap sound, but that is another issue...let us not pretend the Bucs DTs were awesome in their assignments last year.

Ruus is replaceable.  He is not worth huge dollars.  So unless he grew up a Bucs fan (who knows if he is telling the troof), and is willing to give a hometown discount...he will find a job elsewhere and will continue to rack up tackles, and make the rare splash play.  But he is not worth the big dollars, and this is obvious.  To all of us.

Isn't it?

As far as Heyward goes...dude looks like a tank, but he clearly is not Hercules out there.  He is a backup, always has been, most likely always will be.  I am cool with that.

docbravo

Pro Bowler

#28 : March 24, 2011, 04:06:02 AM

...Ruud cut thru the line and delivered a low hard tackle right on the ball propelled the ball backwards where TB recovered. In that particular play, Ruud did all that could be expected of a MLB.

Oh... No he didin't.!

He did make a nice play, but that's not what happened. He stepped over an "Attempted Cut-Block" from the Right Tackle, and cleaned up the RB after Tim Crowder had his legs wrapped up in the hole. Crowder delivered a low tackle, and Ruud delivered a high shot. Ruud got credit for forcing the fumble, but Crowder actually made a hell of a play as well.

@ the 00:30 second mark.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#29 : March 24, 2011, 09:40:19 AM

The video of Rudd getting knocked on his butt and the video of him causing the fumble are both oddities. 99% of the time Ruud is not in position to make the initial contact. He is usually very invisible until the ball carrier is 5 to 10 yards past the LOS.

Draft Aaron Donald

Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Ruud vs. Heyward « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools