Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Ruud vs. Heyward « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

docbravo

Pro Bowler

#30 : March 24, 2011, 09:46:28 AM

The video of Rudd getting knocked on his butt and the video of him causing the fumble are both oddities. 99% of the time Ruud is not in position to make the initial contact. He is usually very invisible until the ball carrier is 5 to 10 yards past the LOS.

I agree. I don't want a MLB who's biggest attribute is "he knows the defense, and how to get guys in the right place."  I want a guy who LOVES TO BRING THE HAT!

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#31 : March 24, 2011, 10:14:52 AM

Mark my words, Martez Wilson will be a bust. He is the Sabby Piscatelli of MLBs.

I'll mark them...so I can remind you when you turn out to be wrong. Illinois prospect who is a top high school recruit but doesn't post great college stats; does the name Arrelious Benn ring a bell? Ron Zook is notorious for landing top notch talent and getting mediocre results. All Wilson needs is some decent coaching and he will be a stud.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#32 : March 24, 2011, 10:22:28 AM

Mark my words, Martez Wilson will be a bust. He is the Sabby Piscatelli of MLBs.

I'll mark them...so I can remind you when you turn out to be wrong. Illinois prospect who is a top high school recruit but doesn't post great college stats; does the name Arrelious Benn ring a bell? Ron Zook is notorious for landing top notch talent and getting mediocre results. All Wilson needs is some decent coaching and he will be a stud.
While there is a possibility of that, instincts are not coached. Players have them or they don't. In three years at Florida, Zook had two NFL MLB's in Channing Crowder and Brandon Siler and no one questioned their instincts. Granted they had a great position coach/coordinator in Charlie Strong, but still neither of them had any problems.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#33 : March 24, 2011, 10:35:29 AM

While there is a possibility of that, instincts are not coached. Players have them or they don't. In three years at Florida, Zook had two NFL MLB's in Channing Crowder and Brandon Siler and no one questioned their instincts. Granted they had a great position coach/coordinator in Charlie Strong, but still neither of them had any problems.

Channing Crowder and Brandon Siler aren't that good. Crowder is a middle of the road starter, Siler is a reserve. They are an example of how great coaching can get good results from average players. Wilson is an example of how poor coaching gets average results from good players. Charlie Strong could have made Wilson a top 20 pick.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#34 : March 24, 2011, 10:41:05 AM

They are an example of how great coaching can get good results from average players.
As much as I think of Charlie Strong, both those players started as true freshman and played very well. I'm not sure Strong taught them how to play in August training camp. I think they just had 'it' before they even got on campus.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#35 : March 24, 2011, 11:38:19 AM

They are an example of how great coaching can get good results from average players.
As much as I think of Charlie Strong, both those players started as true freshman and played very well. I'm not sure Strong taught them how to play in August training camp. I think they just had 'it' before they even got on campus.

That may be the case, but that doesn't change the fact that neither of them left college with as high a grade as Wilson and neither of them have done that much in the NFL. You can't deny that they had better coaching and a better supporting cast than Wilson has.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#36 : March 24, 2011, 12:01:55 PM

I appreciate all breakdown of our MLB. I'll trust our scouting department and coaches to determine if we can replace him this year. I doubt we will have a better option at MLB by the time the season starts. I do think we can upgrade and become a bit more stout in the run game but overall we do not currently have a MLB that is better overall.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#37 : March 24, 2011, 12:19:22 PM

That may be the case, but that doesn't change the fact that neither of them left college with as high a grade as Wilson and neither of them have done that much in the NFL. You can't deny that they had better coaching and a better supporting cast than Wilson has.
What any of these players did in the NFL is irrelevant. My original point goes back to whether instincts can be taught. I tend to think not very much. You either have it or you don't.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#38 : March 24, 2011, 02:16:30 PM

Two things.

Wilson has proven himself to be a great athlete. He has not proven himself to be a great football player. I'd take Nate Irving over Wilson every time.

Is Brandon Siler a free agent? I'd love to sign that dude. He is young, stout, and would bring good competition to the MLB spot this off season.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#39 : March 24, 2011, 02:33:33 PM

Is Brandon Siler a free agent? I'd love to sign that dude. He is young, stout, and would bring good competition to the MLB spot this off season.
He's been in the NFL for 4 years so it depends on what the new rules say.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#40 : March 24, 2011, 04:55:16 PM

It'd be funny if the Chargers sign Quincy Black and we sign Brandon Siler.

ISLAND BUCS

Starter

#41 : March 24, 2011, 05:03:33 PM

Doc:  You are right. The tape I watched in slow motion was from a different angle and did not show the play as well as the U-Tube video.  Ruud did do good in that play and did what a MLB should be doing.  But from the tape I had Crowder's play was obscured by bodies.

My real reason for posting was just to balance the video where Ruud got run over with a situation where he did well.

It very well could be that without that fumble, the Bucs go behind 14-3 and loose the game.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#42 : March 24, 2011, 07:14:09 PM

Net gain would go to the Chargers. Quincy Black > Brandon Siler. Siler has started 12 games and has 123 tackles in 4 seasons. For a guy who has "it", he sure hasn't shown it yet. He's been a backup his entire career, and it's not as though San Diego has All-Pro caliber ILB's starting over him.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#43 : March 24, 2011, 07:29:56 PM

Net gain would go to the Chargers. Quincy Black > Brandon Siler. Siler has started 12 games and has 123 tackles in 4 seasons. For a guy who has "it", he sure hasn't shown it yet. He's been a backup his entire career, and it's not as though San Diego has All-Pro caliber ILB's starting over him.
You're totally missing the point. Lots of players have "it" while having athletic limitations. San Diego would probably be better off with Siler because their system mitigates his limitations in coverage. He has less space to patrol and can focus on crushing running backs. He's among the best run-stuffing ILB's in the NFL. Black wouldn't be as good of a fit because his athleticism wouldn't be at as much of an advantage.
: March 24, 2011, 07:32:10 PM Feel Real Good

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#44 : March 24, 2011, 08:51:24 PM

If the Chargers had released their old veteran long time starters and let the back ups have the starting spots without having to earn it or compete for it....I'm sure Siler's stats would look just as good as Black's or Hayes' 

Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Ruud vs. Heyward « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools