Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: JDouble's last Mock « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#15 : March 27, 2011, 06:35:00 PM

I just think taking Dowling would be a complete waste of Myron Lewis and E.J. Biggers.

The secondary still fared quite well with Biggers in there instead of Talib and Lewis was the only player on the team that could cover Calvin Johnson.

With Ronde still playing at a high level and Lewis waiting in the wings with a ton of potential, I just don't think that pick makes sense.

Also, It's only Biggers third season. He could still get even better.

Biggers doesn't really factor in to me because while they play the same position, they aren't the same type of player. Biggers is a very scrawny a pure coverage CB. I like him and he looks promising, but he simply can't do everything Dowling can do. He can't do everything Lewis can do for that matter.

My thinking is if Myron Lewis doesn't end up cutting it as a CB, he will be moved to FS. Many have predicted this from day one. If this happens we'd be very excited to have Ras-I step in and compete with Talib and Biggers for the #1 or #2 spot. If Lewis does work out and is a great CB for us then Ras-I would make a great FS. I'm thinking of the future and imagine having two DBs in Lewis and Dowling that can play anywhere is the secondary. They moth have the size and traits to do it. Talib probably has that ability as well. That kind of versatility gives us a leg up imo and I know that Rah would love it. He has talked about his 3 safety set that he wants to use several times.

The last thing is the potential of Dowling. I mean does anyone think that Lewis or Biggers might end up being better than Talib? I don't think even their biggest supporters can imagine either one of them unseating Talib as the #1 CB. Dowling does have that potential though. Can you imagine Talib being our #2 because he wasn't our best CB? That seems pretty valuable to me.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#16 : March 27, 2011, 06:45:28 PM

I agree that getting a TE, RB, and MLB are important. I also agree that we are probably going to go for a pass rusher in the first. I just feel strongly that you are looking at the wrong players in some of these cases. We are 5 deep at WR right now, Salas is a waste of a pick. Take a flier on a guy late rather than spend a mid-round pick on a guy just cause. Allen Bradford is not as good as you make him out to be. This guy is UNPLAYABLE on passing downs, he offers nothing as a blocker or receiver on 3rd down which is when he is going to be on the field because Blount is our workhorse. I like the Julius Thomas pick, I actually have him in the mock I'm almost done with as a 5th rounder. Kerrigan is not going to be there when we pick at #20, he wont make it past Jacksonville and the Jags might even have to move up for him.

I dont see the hype around Dowling. He's a good player but you overrate the hell out of him. People make the case to move Lewis to FS and draft him but Dowling projects more to safety than Lewis does. Lewis was very impressive in limited reps last year. We are 4 deep in starting caliber corners right now, there is no need to take one that high and go against the strength of this draft which is also our need areas. I dont mind the Nate Irving pick, but my concern is his coverage ability. The MLB I like, Quan Sturdivant, is not as stout against the run but his ability to play in space and excel in coverage is a big plus over Irving.

I respect all of that bro. I don't agree, but I respect it. We have differing opinions is all. Your first post just came off really arrogant and hostile. You don't have to agree with every pick I have, but we can debate it and keep it civil. No need to get all condescending.

Now, as far as what you just said, I can agree with some of it, but I have to ask how you think you know that Allen Bradford is useless on 3rd down? I know he wasn't thrown to often, but that doesn't mean he can't catch. The few passes he did get turned into big gains. Assuming he can't is like assuming Blount can't. Just because they weren't used that way in college doesn't mean they aren't capable. He may or may not be a good receiver, but I don't think it's fair to claim he isn't before he's ever tried. I especially don't buy that a 5'11" 240lbs guy can't pass protect. He might need to be coached up like Blount, but almost all rookie backs suck at pass blocking. Once he and Blount get the mental part down, they both have the physical tools to be great pass blockers.

Never the less that is your opinion of Bradford and I can appreciate it. Personally I think he could be one of the top 5 RBs in the draft. Only time will tell who is right.
: March 27, 2011, 06:48:43 PM JDouble

ras01

Second String

#17 : March 27, 2011, 07:21:45 PM

I'm not sure if I'd say wide receiver was a wasted pick, for all we know Stovall and Spurlock are gone once the free agent period hits, also Sammie and Arrelious have yet to play a full season.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#18 : March 27, 2011, 07:25:28 PM

To me, thats like justifying the Buccaneers taking Corey Liuget at 20. He has loads of potential and could very well end up being better than Brian Price. He might even end up being better than Gerald McCoy and in that case we can just move Gerald McCoy over to LDE.

It's true our defensive line would probably be better with Gerald McCoy, Brian Price, and Corey Liuget but that pick would be an impractical luxury.

Another thing I worry about is how a pick like Dowling would impact Myron Lewis, E.J. Bigger, and Talib mentally. Would they take it as a vote of no confidence? Especially someone with a personality like Talibs.
: March 27, 2011, 07:27:17 PM SunnyD

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#19 : March 27, 2011, 07:33:48 PM

I'd make him a FS.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#20 : March 27, 2011, 07:36:21 PM

If they draft him to play free safety, thats fine.

Then you could milk him, Talib, Biggers, and Lewis for all their worth.

Just not a fan of taking him if you intend him to be a corner in any capacity.

TheDuder

Second String
#21 : March 27, 2011, 07:51:01 PM

I think dowling is one of those BPA options. If there is no one else on the board then sure i dont mind at all. Im not crazy about some of your picks, but i like that it is balanced. Raheem did say he would continue to build around Freeman and get him weapons.

4bucs

Hall of Famer
#22 : March 27, 2011, 08:11:55 PM

doubt very much we take a cb or s with the first 5 picks.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#23 : March 27, 2011, 10:54:56 PM

If they draft him to play free safety, thats fine.

Then you could milk him, Talib, Biggers, and Lewis for all their worth.

Just not a fan of taking him if you intend him to be a corner in any capacity.

Well as i said he can obviously play FS if we want him to, but if he ends up looking better at CB than you have to play him at CB. I mean the CB position has like 1000x the value of the Safety position. Raheem is the secondary expert. I'm sure from watching them all in camp he could decide who needs to cross trained and at what positions. All I know is next year when Barber retires we'd have no drop off with four versatile CBs on the roster. The best part is we'd never have to see Elbert Mack again.

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#24 : March 27, 2011, 11:01:12 PM

The best part is we'd never have to see Elbert Mack again.
Incredibly underrated aspect of drafting Dowling

JDog

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#25 : March 27, 2011, 11:06:18 PM

Mack has a lot of upside.   He's just been poorly coached.

PassThePigSkin

Hall of Famer

#26 : March 27, 2011, 11:35:41 PM

Mack has a lot of upside.   He's just been poorly coached.

Yup. Just like that DB Raheem coached up from the Practice squad who happened to start for the Patriots. Kyle Arrington of Hofstra.

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#27 : March 28, 2011, 01:03:18 AM

I like the draft.  I would probably take an O-lineman somewhere in there, but I wouldn't be unhappy if the draft went down the way you mocked it.  Aren't all mocks more about taking the players you like?  It's not like you have access to Rah and Dom's big board.

notabucsfan

Hall of Famer

#28 : March 28, 2011, 01:26:55 AM

I like the draft.  I would probably take an O-lineman somewhere in there, but I wouldn't be unhappy if the draft went down the way you mocked it.  Aren't all mocks more about taking the players you like?  It's not like you have access to Rah and Dom's big board.

Yes thats part of it but its also part of focusing on the team needs and trying to draft players that would fit those needs and be best in their system.. I just dont think there is a need for the CB in the second, two running backs, a receiver, and a tight end..

My draft would go something like this:
Round 1: Ryan Kerrgian DE (Houston if Kerr is off the board)
Round 2: Allen Bailey DE
Round 3: Mason Foster LB
Round 4: DeAndre McDaniel S
Round 5: Justin Boren OL
Round 6: Noel Devine RB
Round 7a: BPA OL/LB/CB/TE
Round 7b: BPA OL/LB/CB/TE

Kerrigan2011

Starter

#29 : March 28, 2011, 02:00:48 AM

Yes thats part of it but its also part of focusing on the team needs and trying to draft players that would fit those needs and be best in their system.. I just dont think there is a need for the CB in the second, two running backs, a receiver, and a tight end..

My draft would go something like this:
Round 1: Ryan Kerrgian DE (Houston if Kerr is off the board)
Round 2: Allen Bailey DE
Round 3: Mason Foster LB
Round 4: DeAndre McDaniel S
Round 5: Justin Boren OL
Round 6: Noel Devine RB
Round 7a: BPA OL/LB/CB/TE
Round 7b: BPA OL/LB/CB/TE
Switch out DeAndre McDaniel for Rob Housler and Justin Boren for Mark Herzlich and I really really like your draft!

Ryan Kerrigan for 2011 Please!!!
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: JDouble's last Mock « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools