Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: JDouble's last Mock « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#30 : March 28, 2011, 02:05:46 AM

I like the draft.  I would probably take an O-lineman somewhere in there, but I wouldn't be unhappy if the draft went down the way you mocked it.  Aren't all mocks more about taking the players you like?  It's not like you have access to Rah and Dom's big board.

Yes thats part of it but its also part of focusing on the team needs and trying to draft players that would fit those needs and be best in their system.. I just dont think there is a need for the CB in the second, two running backs, a receiver, and a tight end..

My draft would go something like this:
Round 1: Ryan Kerrgian DE (Houston if Kerr is off the board)
Round 2: Allen Bailey DE
Round 3: Mason Foster LB
Round 4: DeAndre McDaniel S
Round 5: Justin Boren OL
Round 6: Noel Devine RB
Round 7a: BPA OL/LB/CB/TE
Round 7b: BPA OL/LB/CB/TE
I'd rather take a guy who can play CB or S in round 2 than a safety in round 4

notabucsfan

Hall of Famer

#31 : March 28, 2011, 02:08:39 AM

I like the draft.  I would probably take an O-lineman somewhere in there, but I wouldn't be unhappy if the draft went down the way you mocked it.  Aren't all mocks more about taking the players you like?  It's not like you have access to Rah and Dom's big board.

Yes thats part of it but its also part of focusing on the team needs and trying to draft players that would fit those needs and be best in their system.. I just dont think there is a need for the CB in the second, two running backs, a receiver, and a tight end..

I'd rather take a guy who can play CB or S in round 2 than a safety in round 4

Dunno why.. I would take McDaniel over Ras 9 times out of 10

notabucsfan

Hall of Famer

#32 : March 28, 2011, 02:24:46 AM

and I mean that as a safety.. McDaniel has elite talent at the position just has had a couple problems.

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#33 : March 28, 2011, 02:56:24 AM

I could definitely see us needing 2 RB and a TE.  The CB and WR positions depend on how the FO feels about the talent we already have.  How we as fans evaluate team needs is much different than the coaching staff and front office evaluate needs.
-At RB, I agree with JDub that we need a bigger back that we could lean on if Blount goes down.  With his physical running style, I think an insurance plan is needed.  I don't think Caddy is that person.  That would still leave a need for a 3rd down/change of pace back. 
-Same goes for Winslow at TE.  If he goes down, we don't have much proven talent behind him.  Plus having multiple talented TE's helped Tom Brady have a pretty good year last season.
-At WR, I think Williams/Benn/Briscoe will be very good in the very near future.  Let's face it, though, Stroughter just wasn't very productive this past year.  If the team thinks he can regain his 2009 form, or if Parker or Spulock can come in and play in the slot than we don't have a need for a WR.  As PR recently suggested, Sammie's roster spot is not assured though, and the other two are relatively unproven.  Changing the kickoff rules also decreases their values, as well.  If the FO feels that Salas (or any other WR) is the next Wes Welker, than I wouldn't be surprised a bit to see them take him.
-The team is said to be happy with Biggers/Lewis and we know Talib is going to be a starter.  Maybe Rah will collect corners like Gruden collected QB's, though.  Since we have to play Brees and Ryan twice a year, having a bunch of good corners can't be a bad thing.  Especially if they show the versatility to play FS.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#34 : March 28, 2011, 08:18:42 AM

Coaching staff is high on Lewis and Biggers from the PI articles. CB is a complete afterthought in the first 5 rounds imo.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#35 : March 28, 2011, 10:58:17 AM

and with the recent news of Talib, I take my last comment back. What an idiot.

conrad77

Pro Bowler

#36 : March 28, 2011, 11:54:37 AM

While I am not Kerrigan's biggest fan, I think this is a solid mock and addresses several needs without undervaluing the pick position.  The only one I would contest is Salas, just because there are several guys I like better in the 4th, but overall, great draft.

[Add witty one liner here]

Kerrigan2011

Starter

#37 : March 28, 2011, 12:04:26 PM

While I am not Kerrigan's biggest fan, I think this is a solid mock and addresses several needs without undervaluing the pick position.  The only one I would contest is Salas, just because there are several guys I like better in the 4th, but overall, great draft.

Just out of curiousity, if Kerrigan is there at 20 who would you prefer over him?

Ryan Kerrigan for 2011 Please!!!

conrad77

Pro Bowler

#38 : March 28, 2011, 01:56:31 PM

The way I see it, if Kerrigan is pushed to 20, that means my anticipation of a run on DE's didn't come into play, making it likely that the top 3 DE's were also pushed down enough to potentially provide us with a trade up scenario.  I would choose that over Kerrigan at 20.  I am not entirely against it, and wouldn't be upset if JDouble's mock was the end result.  It just isn't my first or second choice. 

I think the point you are trying to get at though is my player ranking and despite what some may think, I have Ayers ranked above Kerrigan for us.  Given your screen name, I imagine you will not agree with this assessment, but it is based on my own film review, albeit non-professional, and my prioritization of needs for the team.  Despite all the media focus on our DE needs, we had the 7th best pass defense in 2010.   In contrast we had the 28th ranked run defense in 2010 and the 32nd ranked run defense in 2009.  Since we already addressed DT, that puts a run stuffing LB above a pass rushing DE in my needs list, which is why my mock came out the way it did.  JMO

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

Hall of Famer
#39 : March 29, 2011, 05:28:49 PM

I'm not gonna say JDub was right..

but..

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

Hall of Famer
#40 : March 29, 2011, 06:07:18 PM

"@SteveMuenchESPN NC State's Nate Irving didn't tackle as well as teams would like but he's a 3-down MLB who showed above average instincts and range on film"

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#41 : March 30, 2011, 11:08:25 AM

The Talib situation doesn't change much for me...but I do think we should go after Richard Marshall in free agency. If we don't land Dowling in the 2nd Id look at Jalil Brown in the 4th instead of Greg Salad.

conrad77

Pro Bowler

#42 : March 30, 2011, 12:01:30 PM

The Talib situation doesn't change much for me...but I do think we should go after Richard Marshall in free agency. If we don't land Dowling in the 2nd Id look at Jalil Brown in the 4th instead of Greg Salad.

I agree with you on targeting a CB in FA, which I talked about in my mock briefly, but I still changed mine and went with Johnny Patrick in the 3rd.  Point blank, we need 2 new CB's on this team now.  Primarily, I was targeting Romeus in the 4th, but I would be pleased with Jalil Brown in the 4th too.  On a side note, I know people are down on Dowling on this board, but he is a good fit for us.  If we go DE in the first that is the only guy I would target in the 2nd.  At this time, as much as I like Jimmy Smith on the field, I would take Ras-I over him given the opportunity.  That being said, I still think the DE's go before we pick so my 1st round selection remains Akeem Ayers.  That obviously means we would go DE in the 2nd and don't look at CB until 3rd or 4th.  Either way, yours or mine, I would be really excited about the first three picks and how much of a boost our D would get. 

PS- As much as you and I like film study we should do a McShay-Kiper style board debate next year.  I didn't have enough time to get deep into it this year, which is depressing, but that would be fun once we got past the 1st-3rd round guys everyone knows. 

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#43 : April 08, 2011, 10:29:11 PM

I'm surprised, but here we are just 3 weeks until the draft and my mock hasn't changed. Salas in the 4th is the wild card that I don't actually expect to happen. He's just thrown in there because I think he's awesome and would be a steal in 4th, but an offensive lineman probably fits best in the 4th...but I'm standing by my mock. I'd still love it to go down this way. Kerrigan, Dowling, Irving would be an amazing start.

Last year's top 5 favorite players.....

1. Ndamukong Suh
2. Brandon Graham
3. Sean Weatherspoon
4. LeGarrette Blount
5. Tyson Alualu

This year's top 5 favorite players.....

1. Ryan Kerrigan
2. Ras-I Dowling
3. Nate Irving
4. Greg Salas
5. Chad Spann

Kerrigan2011

Starter

#44 : April 08, 2011, 11:05:38 PM

Just out of curiousity, why was the Favorite 50 thread moved to the Insider board?

Ryan Kerrigan for 2011 Please!!!
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: JDouble's last Mock « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools