Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Aqib to be charged with assault with deadly weapon « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

#30 : March 29, 2011, 09:03:18 PM

Island, you're right that the case has to wind its way through the legal system. But I would disagree on why prosecutors waited a week. I think it was to make sure they had a good case before issuing the warrant. No one wants to go into court with a flimsy case in a high-profile arrest and look foolish. None of us know what statements or evidence there is. An acquittal also doesn't mean you're innocent, just that the case couldn't be proven beyond a reasonable doubt to at least 1 juror. In order to get a conviction, it has to be a unanimous verdict, not just majority rules.
If anyone thinks Talib plays for the Bucs ever again, I think they're fooling themselves. The court of public opinion is another matter. Can't think Dominik and Morris are too happy that Bucs keep ending up in the police beat these days.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#31 : March 29, 2011, 09:06:45 PM

I would much rather defend Talib than try to prosecute.

LOL, yeah, welcome to Texas son. It doesn't work that way here.  :-\

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

ISLAND BUCS

Starter

#32 : March 29, 2011, 09:10:35 PM

In O.J. case there were 2 dead white people.

In Talib's case there was a black boyfriend (assumed) molesting his sister.

Come on---would you vote to send him to prison???

The defense lawyer will have the jury crying tears over the abuse his sister had  already absorbed. Two prior abuse charges;  a restraining order that the boyfriend viiolated.  In the end the defense lawyer will paint the boyfriend as such an evil person that the jury will be convincd that anything Talib did was justified.

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

#33 : March 29, 2011, 09:24:04 PM

The absolute key to this whole case will be exactly when were the shots fired and were they fired in the direction of the boyfriend. If the boyfriend is running away and then is shot at, that's bad for the Talibs. Prosecutors will say the threat was diffused, the offender was fleeing and no need for gunshots.
However, if the shots were while the boyfriend was still placing the sister in immediate danger -- then that's a horse of a different color, so to speak and I believe he skates.

ISLAND BUCS

Starter

#34 : March 29, 2011, 09:26:25 PM

Todd: You are right to say that the court of public opinion is another matter..

But it is very clear under the law that legally, an acquittal means that you are innocent.

Dal Buc, it makes no difference what state. People are people and good defense lawyers are skilled at creating "reasonabler doubt." That's why they are good defense lawyers.  The state very seldom has a good prosecutor. When you become a good prosecutor you switch sides because there is much, much more money in definding.  Many young lawyers prosecute to learn the ropes.  So already the defense has an edge, and then when you factor in "reasonable doubt" the defense now has a considerable "edge."

Juries are people and good defense lawyers are supurb at creating " reasonable doubt."

Dal, ask your self would you personally send a guy to prision for protecting his sister from an abuser

ISLAND BUCS

Starter

#35 : March 29, 2011, 09:28:47 PM

Dal:  I very much appreciate the term " son."  But if the facts were known to you, I would assume you would withdraw the term.

ISLAND BUCS

Starter

#36 : March 29, 2011, 09:34:56 PM

Todd: If the police had an ultra strong case, I think the warrent would have issued sooner.  The boy-friend was charged immediately.  The fact that the police waited seems to mean that the police had to make sure they could make some sort of case. You could argue that because Talib was a celebrity that the police wanted to be careful, but to me, it meant that they were not quite sure they could make a case and so they probably reviewed the evidence and then got with a prosecutor to see if he wanted to continue, and then issued the warrent. 

Again, I believe that the element of not seeming to favor a star football player entered into the decision to issue.

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

#37 : March 29, 2011, 09:47:35 PM

I would bet a cup of coffee on the fact the prosecution is proceeding into court with what they know they can prove on this one and not stepping out onto any shaky limbs with charges that are kind of "iffy" here. I'm guessing there are some 3rd party witnesses to this incident or physical evidence they feel very confident in. I would hope they aren't relying solely on the boyfriend's statements.

ISLAND BUCS

Starter

#38 : March 29, 2011, 09:54:07 PM

Todd: As wrong as it may seem, in a court room facts are not always facts.  The facts are what the lawyers make the jury believe really happened.  Sometimes the facts are so one way that the defense cannot errect a smoke screen, but when most of the witnesses seem to be on Talib's side, unless there are a number of disinterested witnesses, then even if Talib did aim at the boyfriend, the lawyer will ask the jury to believe that he was shooting up in the air. And since Talib was protecting his sister, all the jury needs is some excuse to hang their not-guilty verdict upon.

Give the jury a solid emotional premise to vote not guilty and the facts (unless chiseled in stone) melt away.

ISLAND BUCS

Starter

#39 : March 29, 2011, 09:58:15 PM

Well Todd, I certainly respect your viewpoint and you could be right. I do not know what exactly is in the prosecution's collective mind.  In the Federal system, close to 90% of the cases result in convictions.  But at the state level, it falls to 50%.  I do not know the percentage conviction in Texas. But give me the sister and the history or abuse and again I would rather defend Talib than prosecute.

ISLAND BUCS

Starter

#40 : March 29, 2011, 09:59:31 PM

What to do Todd: I don't drink coffee. But I sense you are a good person.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#41 : March 29, 2011, 11:09:17 PM

Gonna be a sad day when BOTH mother and son are dragged off to jail together.

I do not feel bad for Talib at all.  Hemay have been coming to his sisters defense, but she has professional (aka THE POLICE) to help her with her situation.  The guy(bf) is no doubt going to go to jail as well for violating an order of protection (SHE HAD BETTER HAVE ONE!), and Talib should no better than to get himself involved in these situations.  He clearly has issues with his temper, with being "dissed", and has no ability to slow his roll, think for a second, and do it the right way.

I could care less about Aqib Talib anymore.  He is a dummy, he has issues, and he will be broke and possibly in jail before he hits his 30's.  Dude has an extensive set of crimes and he has hardly served or paid for ANY of them.  I hope he goes to jail for a few years.  Some retards need to learn the hard way, and Aqib Weed needs to learn his lesson that way.  He has repeatedly let his teammates down.  He is not accountable, does not want to be held accountable, and needs to learn.

I highly doubt he will ever be in a Buc uniform ever again.  His next uniform might be a Texas Penal Facility outfit.  He earned that one! 

ISLAND BUCS

Starter

#42 : March 29, 2011, 11:18:28 PM

Aw come on Salmon fisherman. He was just coming to his sisters defense like "Sonny" in Godfather I.

Until he is convicted, he is innocent.

A smart NY guy like you knows that.

Right now all we know is newspapers.

Once the tempest dies down, and the defense has its chance, the odds favor acquittal.

You may be right about Talib's situation when he is 30, but lets enjoy his ability between age 25 to 30.

ISLAND BUCS

Starter

#43 : March 29, 2011, 11:20:09 PM

By the way default fisherman, has mother been charged????

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#44 : March 29, 2011, 11:33:18 PM

Aw come on Salmon fisherman. He was just coming to his sisters defense like "Sonny" in Godfather I.

Until he is convicted, he is innocent.

A smart NY guy like you knows that.

Right now all we know is newspapers.

Once the tempest dies down, and the defense has its chance, the odds favor acquittal.

You may be right about Talib's situation when he is 30, but lets enjoy his ability between age 25 to 30.
He is truly an idiot.  Nobody can deny that.  Once they arrived, who knows what happened...?  Something stupid happened, and now we lost the best defender the Bucs have, most likely for good.  Dude is a fire**CENSORED**, short fused, and obviously capable of doing a tremendous amount of stupid.  His EXTENSIVE track record proves that, and with this?  Well....Dominik already had him on a short leash.  Time to cut bait friend.

Also, with a name like IslandBucs, you have to be Samoan.  If not, I guess my intuition was off.

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Aqib to be charged with assault with deadly weapon « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools