Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Jay Gruden looking for the next Josh Freeman « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: April 02, 2011, 08:26:53 PM

Younger Gruden embraces new challenge with Bengals

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Jay Gruden won four Arena League titles as a quarterback and two more championships as an AFL coach.

By IRA KAUFMAN | The Tampa Tribune

Published: April 2, 2011

Updated: 05:57 pm

TAMPA - Jon Gruden's kid brother sounds eager for his next challenge.

It's a beauty.

Jay Gruden, who turned 44 a month ago, can't wait to play his part in a turnaround season for the Bengals as Cincinnati's new offensive coordinator.

"I'm excited,'' Jay Gruden said from his office in the Queen City. "I've got a lot of work to do, obviously, but I've been looking forward to this opportunity for a while. I'm both excited and a little nervous there's a lot at stake here.''

The Bengals were 2-1 last season before suffering through a 10-game losing streak that included a dispiriting 24-21 home loss to the Buccaneers.

Veteran quarterback Carson Palmer desperately wants out, telling coach Marvin Lewis he'll retire unless he's traded.

Running back Cedric Benson, coming off consecutive 1,000-yard seasons, could be an unrestricted free agent once the NFL labor dispute is settled.

Terrell Owens won't be back, and fellow wide receiver Chad Ochocinco seems more interested in kicking a soccer ball than booting his reputation as an overpriced prima donna.

Talk about your dicey situations.

Jay Gruden, who won four Arena League titles as a quarterback and two more championships as an AFL coach in Orlando, is fully aware of the task ahead.

He already has been to a half-dozen pro days, searching for a potential franchise quarterback heading into the draft, where Cincinnati owns the fourth overall pick.

He can't seem to catch a break in his new venture.

This appears to be a weak crop of college quarterbacks, and two of the three teams ahead of the Bengals Carolina and Buffalo are also looking for the next Josh Freeman.

"It's hard to say what our situation is under center,'' Jay Gruden said. "Carson said what he said, and I'm assuming he'll hold to his word. It's a unique situation. We hope to get someone to buy into our system.''

That system is likely to be a hybrid of the West Coast attack Jay Gruden absorbed in seven years as an offensive assistant on his brother's staff.

"Everyone is familiar with the stuff Jon did in Tampa, but Jay was a big part of that as well,'' said Lewis. "He then had a chance to go out and do it on his own. He's been a head coach in the Arena League and he's done it in the UFL. When you sit and talk with him, he's a football junkie and fanatic.''

But is he a savior?

This is Jay Gruden's first real chance to make his mark as an NFL assistant, and he's approaching the job with confidence even if the only two quarterbacks on the roster besides Palmer are Dan LeFevour and Carson's younger brother, Jordan.

Between them, they have yet to throw a touchdown pass as a pro.

By the summer, Sherry Gruden and the three boys will make the move from Florida to Ohio. Don't be surprised if Jon makes a few trips to Cincinnati for some review sessions in the woodshed.

"Jay's got a good track record and he's worked very hard for this chance,'' said Jon Gruden. "I think he'll do well.''

Besides needing a new quarterback, the Bengals need an organizational makeover.

As Lewis returns for a ninth year, only two seasons removed from NFL Coach of the Year honors, a disconnected fan base doesn't know what to expect.

Neither does Jay Gruden.

"We've got a lot of guys coming back, our offensive line is solid and we've got a great young tight end (Jermaine Gresham),'' he said.

"We've got some pieces in place.''

When Gruden was hired two months ago, an NFL lockout was a possibility. Now, it's a grim reality for a new offensive coordinator eager to get started.

"It's tough because there's no contact with the players and we're kind of starting from scratch,'' Jay Gruden said. "I can't wait to get our guys in here and figure out what we can do and what we can't do.''

JDog

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#1 : April 02, 2011, 08:54:46 PM

Raheem Morris has lost every single game he's coached where Freeman was not the starting QB.    Freeman has literally carried Morris on his back.    Imagine what a guy like Freeman could do with a real coach like one of the Grudens working with him.   

PassThePigSkin

Hall of Famer

#2 : April 02, 2011, 09:11:57 PM

Raheem Morris has lost every single game he's coached where Freeman was not the starting QB.    Freeman has literally carried Morris on his back.    Imagine what a guy like Freeman could do with a real coach like one of the Grudens working with him.   

Lol you need new troll work buddy that was just a horrible attempt. Byron and JJ at qb? Jon couldn't develop McCown. If it wasn't for Brad johnson jon wouldn't have a SB. Your logic is flawed. Poor guy you should stop brushing your teeth with Fail every morning.

PassThePigSkin

Hall of Famer

#3 : April 02, 2011, 09:13:48 PM

Jay should do okay with the Bengals they actually have a lot to work with on offense if they had a better QB.

JDog

Hall of Famer

#4 : April 02, 2011, 09:16:49 PM

Lol you need new troll work buddy that was just a horrible attempt. Byron and JJ at qb? Jon couldn't develop McCown. If it wasn't for Brad johnson jon wouldn't have a SB. Your logic is flawed. Poor guy you should stop brushing your teeth with Fail every morning.

Gruden would have gone with JJ in 2009 and he would have won games.   A helluva lot more than the 3 Freeman won that year.   Not because JJ is a better QB than Freeman, but because Gruden is a better coach than Morris.   But there is no way Morris could ever win a single game without Freeman carrying him.   

PassThePigSkin

Hall of Famer

#5 : April 02, 2011, 09:31:01 PM

Gruden would have gone with JJ in 2009 and he would have won games.   A helluva lot more than the 3 Freeman won that year.   Not because JJ is a better QB than Freeman, but because Gruden is a better coach than Morris.   But there is no way Morris could ever win a single game without Freeman carrying him.   

Easy to say would have. But Gruden only had 2 winning seasons after the SB if he was such a good coach shouldn't he have won more with Garcia I mean by your logic it's the coach not the qb. But before that you said it's the QB not the coach.

anterrabae33

Hall of Famer

#6 : April 02, 2011, 09:56:14 PM

At least he's not looking for the next Garcia or Gannon.

JDog

Hall of Famer

#7 : April 02, 2011, 09:58:23 PM

Easy to say would have. But Gruden only had 2 winning seasons after the SB if he was such a good coach shouldn't he have won more with Garcia I mean by your logic it's the coach not the qb. But before that you said it's the QB not the coach.

I'm not saying it's not the QB.   The QB has a helluva lot to do with it.   I'm saying Gruden is a better coach than Heemy.   Given the same players to work with, Gruden will get them to produce more results.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#8 : April 02, 2011, 10:00:59 PM

I hear Brian Griese wants to make a comeback.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

JDog

Hall of Famer

#9 : April 02, 2011, 10:10:49 PM

I would love to see what Raheem could do with Griese as his QB.    My bet is 0-16. 

anterrabae33

Hall of Famer

#10 : April 02, 2011, 10:14:03 PM

I would love to see what Raheem could do with Griese as his QB.    My bet is 0-16.

Ok

bashear

Hall of Famer

#11 : April 02, 2011, 10:23:16 PM

Raheem Morris has lost every single game he's coached where Freeman was not the starting QB.    Freeman has literally carried Morris on his back.     
So your saying that Freeman is to Morris as Kiffen was to Gruden. Truth is, Gruden's offense was never even in the top half of the league, no matter how you remember it.

So glad to see that you have recognized how good Freeman is. Brady and Manning have made their coaches look good, too.

JDog

Hall of Famer

#12 : April 02, 2011, 10:29:10 PM

Gruden's offense was never even in the top half of the league, no matter how you remember it.

Totally untrue.   Gruden's first year with the Raiders, their offense was 18th in the league.   But the next 3 years, they were ranked number 5, 6, and 7 in the league.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#13 : April 02, 2011, 10:33:01 PM

Freeman has literally carried Morris on his back.

Do you know what the word "literally" means?

bashear

Hall of Famer

#14 : April 02, 2011, 10:34:00 PM

Gruden's offense was never even in the top half of the league, no matter how you remember it.

Totally untrue.   Gruden's first year with the Raiders, their offense was 18th in the league.   But the next 3 years, they were ranked number 5, 6, and 7 in the league.
Sorry if I wasn't clear that, with the Bucs, Gruden's offense was never in the top half of the league. Kiffen's defense, was in the top 10 all but one year if I remember correctly.

Gruden did do better with the Raiders, and actually built up a good team. In Tampa Bay, pretty much the opposite.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Jay Gruden looking for the next Josh Freeman « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools