Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gov Scott... « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10

Runole

Hall of Famer
#60 : April 05, 2011, 04:59:53 PM

Public high school is a total joke. When I went to college, I learned more in one semester than I did my entire 4 years in high school. Even worse, a lot of the stuff I did learn in high school I later found out was wrong! The public education system in this country is a disaster. High school is nothing today but a social scene that has been taken over by bullies. It is no longer a learning environment.

Countries like India spend 1/4th per child on education than we do. And their kids are kicking the crap out of ours in math and science.

Money is not the problem. The system is seriously flawed. But don't tell a liberal that. If you even suggest reform of public education they will claim you are attacking the kids, the poor, or even pull the race card.

35% of India's population is illiterate. 15% of their students reach high school. 7% graduate. Dare I say, maybe if they spent more on education they would have better outcomes than that? Their system is among the worst in the world, and that is mostly due to a lack of resources, or in other words, funding.

http://theviewspaper.net/education-system-of-india-its-functions-drawbacks-and-its-contribution/

Perhaps those being forced into your public education utopia would be better served learning a trade that actually would pay them a salary that would afford them the necessities of life rather than sitting with a Degree with a 50K debt attached to it slapping a hamburger and dishing out fries at McDonalds. 

I don't what school system you came from but if you remotely think a secondary public school education is worth anything today in Florida you are tragically ignorant about or states educational system.

India is indeed kicking our ass when it comes to higher education.    Contrary to your belief there are better choices in the business world than a current liberal arts degree which essentially is stating you have no skills.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#61 : April 05, 2011, 05:07:44 PM

Perhaps those being forced into your public education utopia would be better served learning a trade that actually would pay them a salary that would afford them the necessities of life rather than sitting with a Degree with a 50K debt attached to it slapping a hamburger and dishing out fries at McDonalds. 

I don't what school system you came from but if you remotely think a secondary public school education is worth anything today in Florida you are tragically ignorant about or states educational system.

It never fails when someone is posting criticisms about our education system, the post is always filled with misspellings and/or grammatical errors.

jbear

Pro Bowler

#62 : April 05, 2011, 05:11:34 PM

It never fails when someone is posting criticisms about our education system, the post is always filled with misspellings and/or grammatical errors.

He did say he went to public school. ;D

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#63 : April 05, 2011, 05:15:31 PM

and used to be a teacher, too.

jbear

Pro Bowler

#64 : April 05, 2011, 05:28:23 PM

and used to be a teacher, too.

Who's side are you on here anywayz Morgan.  :-\

I do sometimes wonder. :P

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#65 : April 05, 2011, 05:32:21 PM

Try to get a decent-paying job with no degree today. You can't. Even crap jobs are requiring college degrees now.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#66 : April 05, 2011, 05:55:14 PM

Try to get a decent-paying job with no degree today. You can't. Even crap jobs are requiring college degrees now.

Is that because of public education, or certain economic policies that have led to changes in the job market? I mean, public education was still public back in the 1950's.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#67 : April 05, 2011, 08:53:05 PM

Is that because of public education, or certain economic policies that have led to changes in the job market? I mean, public education was still public back in the 1950's.

But it wasn't as politicized back then. Teachers were allowed to teach, discipline their class, fail students who failed and write bad semester reports.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#68 : April 05, 2011, 09:17:24 PM

Would you care to point them out  " Mr. erudite and always grammatically correct?"  I never claimed to be an English major but I always appreciate someone as knowledgeable as you.

Please also do not leave out a valid counterpoint  to the commentary pointing out the greatness  of  secondary public education system in Florida.

I expect a nothing less than your best  treatise on the subject.  I always appreciate a good writer that expresses himself explicitly and correctly.

Should be a piece of cake .

Somehow I think I will be very disappointed in your reply.  Prove me wrong in that assumption.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#69 : April 05, 2011, 09:25:29 PM

Depends totally on the degree and what it is in.

There are plenty of trades that will far surpass those with a degree in a very short time....  Plumber, Electrician, Mechanic etc

Never forget a friend of mine that after just 2 years as an bathroom and tile apprentice had a salary double a 18 year teacher with college degree.

Try the job market claiming a liberal arts degree and see what you can find that pays well.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#70 : April 05, 2011, 09:29:38 PM

But it wasn't as politicized back then. Teachers were allowed to teach, discipline their class, fail students who failed and write bad semester reports.

Correct... Today's educational system promotes everyone always being a winner and stating the BS that you can be anything you want to be...

To that I say I wanted to be a center for the Boston Celtics.  Unfortunately, being only 5' 8" tall I found out they lied. :-[

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#71 : April 05, 2011, 09:32:54 PM

Spelling and grammar normally become an issue when someone doesn't have sensible response.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Runole

Hall of Famer
#72 : April 05, 2011, 09:43:09 PM

Spelling and grammar normally become an issue when someone doesn't have sensible response.

That was my thought as well.   

I patiently await for Mr Morgan to grace us with his intelligent  and scholarly reply on the subject.

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

#73 : April 05, 2011, 11:02:07 PM

Correct... Today's educational system promotes everyone always being a winner and stating the BS that you can be anything you want to be...
Refreshing to see someone actually state that on here ... that, no matter what, there is a disadvantaged portion of our society that can never be what they want to be.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#74 : April 06, 2011, 09:19:15 AM

Refreshing to see someone actually state that on here ... that, no matter what, there is a disadvantaged portion of our society that can never be what they want to be.

Disadvantaged?

Maybe they just don't have the prerequisite skills to achieve what they want to be. That is not being disadvantaged but is reality. 

It doesn't mean they can't or shouldn't try though; Not succeeding sometimes is just as important and educational as succeeding. And those, are the words of experience.
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gov Scott... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools