Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gov Scott... « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 7 8 9 10

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#120 : December 18, 2012, 04:20:42 PM

I knew the spin would be a laugh-riot.  Thanks.

Not spin. Fact. Scott didn't solve Florida's budget problem. He postponed it. How long do you think Florida can function under Scott's current spending outlays? Best case scenario; the state economy rebounds to a level that makes the inevitable infrastructure rebuild that is to come less painful towards the budget. Worst case scenario, Florida has to end up borrowing more than they saved just to play catch up.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#121 : December 18, 2012, 07:40:51 PM

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#122 : December 19, 2012, 09:06:06 AM

Not spin. Fact. Scott didn't solve Florida's budget problem. He postponed it. How long do you think Florida can function under Scott's current spending outlays? Best case scenario; the state economy rebounds to a level that makes the inevitable infrastructure rebuild that is to come less painful towards the budget. Worst case scenario, Florida has to end up borrowing more than they saved just to play catch up.

I think you need to check the definition of "fact", because the above post doesn't even come close to fitting.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#123 : December 19, 2012, 11:59:31 AM

I think you need to check the definition of "fact", because the above post doesn't even come close to fitting.

A "fact" is pretty much anything that supports, or can be spun to support his point of view.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#124 : December 19, 2012, 09:12:52 PM

A "fact" is pretty much anything that supports, or can be spun to support his point of view.

No, a fact is Florida schools, already in pretty bad shape pre-Scott, will be basically falling in on themselves by the time he leaves office. Don't believe me? Just ask them yourself.

http://m.jacksonville.com/news/florida/2012-10-10/story/florida-education-boards-construction-money-request-essentially-zero

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#125 : December 19, 2012, 09:21:17 PM

A solution to a budget crisis is finding a way to eliminate debt in a sustainable way. Of course if you stop funding basic programs, such as education and construction, then you will save the state a bunch of money in the short term, kinda like if I budgeted $500 to repair my roof this year and don't do it, I saved myself $500 dollars. But unless I am prepared to live with a caved in roof, it's only a temporary savings. Eventually, I will still have to fix my roof. By the time I get around to it, however, it will likely end up costing me $750 instead of that initial $500, because now the roof is worse, and the repairs needed are more extensive. So unless you plan on no longer using schools and roads in the future, I wouldn't start riding on Scott's nutsack just yet.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#126 : December 19, 2012, 09:39:41 PM

A solution to a budget crisis is finding a way to eliminate debt in a sustainable way. Of course if you stop funding basic programs, such as education and construction, then you will save the state a bunch of money in the short term, kinda like if I budgeted $500 to repair my roof this year and don't do it, I saved myself $500 dollars. But unless I am prepared to live with a caved in roof, it's only a temporary savings. Eventually, I will still have to fix my roof. By the time I get around to it, however, it will likely end up costing me $750 instead of that initial $500, because now the roof is worse, and the repairs needed are more extensive. So unless you plan on no longer using schools and roads in the future, I wouldn't start riding on Scott's nutsack just yet.

And when you continuously borrow $500 eventually you spend all the money you were going to use to do repairs on interest and/or loan payments and nothing gets done.

Now you may be right in that some projects that ideally should be done today are being put off, and it may in fact cost more later, but guess what, that's life. Not only does Florida have a balanced budget requirement, it saves you more money in the long run than it costs you. Just think how you run your own credit cards. if you don't pay off the balance then sooner rather than later you end up paying more in interest and fees than you do on principal. That is money you could be spending on other, more important items.
: December 19, 2012, 09:42:16 PM spartan

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#127 : December 19, 2012, 10:20:40 PM

And when you continuously borrow $500 eventually you spend all the money you were going to use to do repairs on interest and/or loan payments and nothing gets done.

Now you may be right in that some projects that ideally should be done today are being put off, and it may in fact cost more later, but guess what, that's life. Not only does Florida have a balanced budget requirement, it saves you more money in the long run than it costs you. Just think how you run your own credit cards. if you don't pay off the balance then sooner rather than later you end up paying more in interest and fees than you do on principal. That is money you could be spending on other, more important items.

I won't argue with you on the first two emboldened comments. That's a valid point. However, I would submit to you that this only becomes the case when you decide that raising revenues is not an option. The government has more ways to raise additional revenues than I do in my personal finances, so the comparison with myself and credit card payments is not an accurate one unless you are choosing to handicap the government from looking at increasing revenue as a response to a budget crisis. I'd also point out that your scenario only holds weight on discretionary spending. That's where you save by putting it off until later. On infrastructure spending, you do not save by putting it off until later to address current debt. You are simply paying off current debt only to acquire new debt once it's paid, and it will cost more, not less, because the amount of spending needed will only increase as the condition of current infrastructure decreases.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#128 : December 20, 2012, 08:17:42 AM

And the concept of budget and living within one's means (even for an entity such as government) is spread to another.  Good to see.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

spartan

Hall of Famer
#129 : December 20, 2012, 09:41:26 AM

CBW, Florida like pretty much all States made hay while the sun shone because of a booming economy up until approx 2007.  Which is fine, I have no problems with going on a shopping spree if you come into a bit of money. But that doesn't mean you go on a shopping spree every pay day. You have to get back to reality and deal with the bills you have with the income you have. People who base their retirement on winning the lottery end up with no retirement.

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#130 : December 20, 2012, 10:10:13 AM

" People who base their retirement on winning the lottery end up with no retirement."

Sounds similar to the Social Security system.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#131 : December 20, 2012, 08:19:47 PM

" People who base their retirement on winning the lottery end up with no retirement."

Sounds similar to the Social Security system.

That's basing your retirement on a Ponzi scheme, which is even worse.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

ONEBIGDADDY

Hall of Famer

#132 : December 26, 2012, 10:34:24 PM

I actually have a friend of a  friend who worked in Scotts circle. He left because he didn't want to be associated with Scott due to his inept ways of working government. Very disorganized and was no where near the leader he claimed...OBD

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#133 : December 27, 2012, 08:50:41 AM

I actually have a friend of a  friend who worked in Scotts circle. He left because he didn't want to be associated with Scott due to his inept ways of working government. Very disorganized and was no where near the leader he claimed...OBD

http://politics.heraldtribune.com/2012/12/11/states-debt-declining-rapidly/

Sure, and Sarah Palin is going to jail.

ONEBIGDADDY

Hall of Famer

#134 : December 27, 2012, 10:41:11 PM

http://politics.heraldtribune.com/2012/12/11/states-debt-declining-rapidly/

Sure, and Sarah Palin is going to jail.
Link please?...OBD

Page: 1 ... 7 8 9 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gov Scott... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools