Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: If Von Miller Were to Fall to #9 « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

flash_kiley

Second String

#15 : April 08, 2011, 01:49:00 AM

We have to get him if possible. He is THE most explosive person in this draft. He would upgrade our pass rush immensely.  Make it happen Don.

PickSiXBuCC

Starter

#16 : April 08, 2011, 05:44:23 AM

Our defense is not that bad. You guys who are trying to switch our whole scheme are insane

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#17 : April 08, 2011, 08:08:11 AM

Our defense is not that bad. You guys who are trying to switch our whole scheme are insane
It is that bad but what we need is a 260-265 lb hand on the ground RDE and some physical and disciplined LB's.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#18 : April 08, 2011, 08:28:12 AM

Poor mans LaVar Arrington. He's good but I rather have Bowers or Quinn.

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#19 : April 08, 2011, 08:44:49 AM

It is that bad but what we need is a 260-265 lb hand on the ground RDE and some physical and disciplined LB's.

I don't understand this argument. Did you not see Raheem line up in a 3-3-5 through the first 10 games last year?It is clear that Raheem wants a stand up pass rusher.

Did anybody else notice that Green Bay lined up with 2 defensive lineman and everybody else standing up to rush the passer about 40% of the time last year?

Traditional 4-3 defense where everyone rushes from the same place every play is dying. QB's are too good. Get with the trend, or get left behind.

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#20 : April 08, 2011, 08:46:38 AM

Poor mans LaVar Arrington? I don't even have to respond to this for it to be clear to everyone you're talking out your arse.
: April 08, 2011, 08:50:29 AM BucsPirate1

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#21 : April 08, 2011, 08:51:36 AM

Poor mans LaVar Arrington? I don't even have to respond to this for it to be clear to everyone you're talking out your arse here.
Actually I'm not. Their quite similar in some aspects. Miller is not even CLOSE to the athlete LaVar was coming out of Penn State though. Like Arrington, Miller did a lot of rushing from the stand-up and also hands in the dirt. Arrington was undisciplined but he took over games more than Miller has ever did. How they play imo makes them a legit comparison.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#22 : April 08, 2011, 09:51:14 AM

I don't understand this argument. Did you not see Raheem line up in a 3-3-5 through the first 10 games last year?It is clear that Raheem wants a stand up pass rusher.
I did see the Bucs line up in the 3-3-5. I saw them not get any closer to sacking the quarterback from the 3-3-5 as the 4-3. The whole point of defenses with a stand up pass rusher is you have more than one of them and thus don't know who is coming. If you only have one stand up pass rusher, it's just like playing a 4-3. You know who the 4 guys you have to block are. When you play the Steelers, you know you have to block Smith, Hampton, and Keisel, but after that you have to worry about Harrison, Timmons, Farrior, Woodley, and Polamalu. The Bucs' linebackers are a bunch of girls no one worries about. So adding Von Miller would be no different than running a normal 4-3, except he's 20 lbs lighter than a regular RDE.

Traditional 4-3 defense where everyone rushes from the same place every play is dying. QB's are too good. Get with the trend, or get left behind.
I guess the Saints (#4 total defense), Giants (#7), Vikings (#8), Bears (#9), and Eagles (#12) didn't get the memo.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#23 : April 08, 2011, 10:24:53 AM

I guess the Saints (#4 total defense), Giants (#7), Vikings (#8), Bears (#9), and Eagles (#12) didn't get the memo.

The last thing I would call the Saints is a traditional 4-3 defense where everyone lines up and rushes the same every play. The Giants and Eagles are also heavy zone blitz, exotic defenses. Heck when Kiwi was healthy he was an OLB for the Giants. The Vikings ranked high but their front 7 was very dissapointing last year if you watched the indvidual games early in the season. There is a reason that the Bears were the only 4-3 defense playing on Championship Weekend.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#24 : April 08, 2011, 10:31:35 AM

Poor mans LaVar Arrington? I don't even have to respond to this for it to be clear to everyone you're talking out your arse.

Are you old enough to remember Arringon in college? He was a much better prospect than Miller. Poor man's LaVar Arrington is a very good description.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#25 : April 08, 2011, 10:32:50 AM

The last thing I would call the Saints is a traditional 4-3 defense where everyone lines up and rushes the same every play. The Giants and Eagles are also heavy zone blitz, exotic defenses. Heck when Kiwi was healthy he was an OLB for the Giants. The Vikings ranked high but their front 7 was very dissapointing last year if you watched the indvidual games early in the season.
The difference is all those teams have players who have a position in the base defense. Ronde Barber is a great blitzer, but his basic job is to be a CB. If Von Miller can perform all the normal duties of a 4-3 LB while adding some pass rush, great. But if he can't, he doesn't do you much good because he would be a liability on all the plays he's not rushing.

There is a reason that the Bears were the only 4-3 defense playing on Championship Weekend.
I'm fine with switching to the 3-4. But if you're going to do it, do it right. Not the 'hybrid' version.

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#26 : April 08, 2011, 10:45:52 AM

The last thing I would call the Saints is a traditional 4-3 defense where everyone lines up and rushes the same every play. The Giants and Eagles are also heavy zone blitz, exotic defenses. Heck when Kiwi was healthy he was an OLB for the Giants. The Vikings ranked high but their front 7 was very dissapointing last year if you watched the indvidual games early in the season.
The difference is all those teams have players who have a position in the base defense. Ronde Barber is a great blitzer, but his basic job is to be a CB. If Von Miller can perform all the normal duties of a 4-3 LB while adding some pass rush, great. But if he can't, he doesn't do you much good because he would be a liability on all the plays he's not rushing.

Fair enough. I've seen enough that I'm confident that unlike Lavar Arrington Miller has great football instincts and can still be a great player when he is dropping or playing the run as a linebacker.  IMHO
: April 08, 2011, 10:51:46 AM BucsPirate1

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#27 : April 08, 2011, 11:03:28 AM

Are you old enough to remember Arringon in college? He was a much better prospect than Miller. Poor man's LaVar Arrington is a very good description.

Von Miller has close to twice as many sacks, much better change of direction, and much better football instincts than Lavar Arrington. If you want to predict that Miller will be a relative bust like Arrington go ahead, but I disagree.
: April 08, 2011, 11:05:05 AM BucsPirate1

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#28 : April 08, 2011, 11:23:37 AM

Arrington was a bust due to injury. He was pretty good in the NFL and hell made the pro bowl a few times.

I'm not even going to argue your points of his instincts, considering that Arrington LIVED in the backfield at PSU. Anyway, even if he had "much better change of direction" it doesn't make him a better NFL prospect. And you bring up he had close to "twice as many sacks" yet you FAILED to realize LaVar was a JUNIOR when he declared for the NFL. Von Miller is a senior. He had 1 more year to add to his statistics but of course you didn't know that....Arrington went #2 overall and a Heisman candidate at LINEBACKER. Arrington was much better against the run, much faster, solid in coverage, and not to mention he was a beast off the edge. Miller was not even close the prospect to LaVar. LaVar was more complete of a player than Von. Miller will be lucky if went in the top 5 let alone top 3 to even match LaVar's resume to start his career anyway.
: April 08, 2011, 11:28:51 AM Detrimental

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#29 : April 08, 2011, 12:29:50 PM

Arrington was a bust due to injury. He was pretty good in the NFL and hell made the pro bowl a few times.

I'm not even going to argue your points of his instincts, considering that Arrington LIVED in the backfield at PSU. Anyway, even if he had "much better change of direction" it doesn't make him a better NFL prospect. And you bring up he had close to "twice as many sacks" yet you FAILED to realize LaVar was a JUNIOR when he declared for the NFL. Von Miller is a senior. He had 1 more year to add to his statistics but of course you didn't know that....Arrington went #2 overall and a Heisman candidate at LINEBACKER. Arrington was much better against the run, much faster, solid in coverage, and not to mention he was a beast off the edge. Miller was not even close the prospect to LaVar. LaVar was more complete of a player than Von. Miller will be lucky if went in the top 5 let alone top 3 to even match LaVar's resume to start his career anyway.

I'm not saying he is going to go in the top 5. I'm saying I hope he doesn't, because I think he will have a much better pro career than Arrington. We all know Arrington was a freak, but it was well documented that he freelanced and could not be depended on to do his job in a system. By the way change of direction, and hips make all of the difference. If you want to talk about a poor mans Lavar Arrington look at Akeem Ayers. Miller is a completely different type of player.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: If Von Miller Were to Fall to #9 « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools