Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why Cameron Jordan? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
: April 07, 2011, 03:59:17 PM

Don't get me wrong, I like Cameron Jordan a lot, but I don't see why so many Bucs fans and even PR are honing in on him. His best position is 3-4 DE or 4-3 UT, and we already have more UTs than we know what to do with.

If you line Cameron Jordan up at DE here, are you really expecting more than 5 or 6 sacks a year?

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#1 : April 07, 2011, 04:15:01 PM

If you line Cameron Jordan up at DE here, are you really expecting more than 5 or 6 sacks a year?

Possibly.  But even 5-6 sacks is better than anything we currently have and factoring in his run defense and pressure he can apply he would be well worth it.  Every detractor of his wants to point out 6 sacks was his best production at Cal but he played DE in a 3-4, which are not asked to be sack artists and that he was dominate and nearly unblockable at the senior bowl.  He also tested very well at the combine.  Personally, he's my favorite DE in this draft, even if he would be a LDE.  So tell me, who's the 13 sack a year guy you think is going to be avail. for us to draft at #20 that you would prefer over him?

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#2 : April 07, 2011, 04:18:14 PM

I don't think he will make it past NE anyways.  He could maybe even go a lot higher.

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#3 : April 07, 2011, 04:27:01 PM

I think its harder to judge Jordan since he did play in a different defense than we play, but he also isn't quite subjected to only play in that defense. He isn't my first choice, but I think we all agree that people view prospects differently. That said, I certainly wouldn't groan if we drafted him the way I would if we picked Clayborn or Houston

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#4 : April 07, 2011, 04:57:53 PM

Yes. Elite intangibles and love for the game. Low sack totals were because of Cals 3-4. Tyson Alualu successfully changed positions when he was drafted, no reason Jordan cant.

ISLAND BUCS

Starter

#5 : April 07, 2011, 05:11:36 PM

It is not whom we think is a good choice so much as whom Dom and Morris think is a good choice.

Morris was very impressed with C. Jordan in the practices before the senior bowl.  Jordan beat, impressively, every tackle that was lined up against him. It caught everyone's eye including Morris.

On a show with Sapp and an offensive lineman (??), Jordan lined up at RDE and showed the moves he would use depending on the approach taken by the tackle.

I took from this that Jordan sees himself as a RDE.  He is very smooth with his moves and knows many moves and seems very coachable.

This is why Jordan was one of the first draft choices invited to the Bucs facility.

We will see what develops, but it seems that Jordan has made a significant leap since the end of his college games.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#6 : April 07, 2011, 05:11:47 PM

I remember this guy being projected a late first rounder before the draft talk occurred. Now all the sudden hes a top 15 pick. How does this happen?

Supreme

Starter

#7 : April 07, 2011, 05:42:22 PM

I remember this guy being projected a late first rounder before the draft talk occurred. Now all the sudden hes a top 15 pick. How does this happen?

Very good offseason

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#8 : April 07, 2011, 05:43:54 PM

Yes. Elite intangibles and love for the game. Low sack totals were because of Cals 3-4. Tyson Alualu successfully changed positions when he was drafted, no reason Jordan cant.

Alualu went from a 3-4 DE to a 4-3 UT. Those are very similar positions in how you line up and what is expected of you. 4-3 DE is completely different.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#9 : April 07, 2011, 05:53:17 PM

Very good offseason

I guess but doesnt the film show the truth? I guess that a guy can learn from his mistakes and practice those.

ras01

Second String

#10 : April 07, 2011, 05:53:42 PM

Very good offseason

Kerrigan,Bowers,V.Miller,and Ayers were all consider 2nd rounders befor the 2010 college season started.

jeanclaud

Starter

#11 : April 07, 2011, 06:04:39 PM

Alualu went from a 3-4 DE to a 4-3 UT. Those are very similar positions in how you line up and what is expected of you. 4-3 DE is completely different.

Jordan didn't only play the 5 technique at Cal. He's got experience as a 3, 5, and 7. It's also a huge oversimplification to say that 3-4 DE is just like a 4-3 UT. There's more than one way to run a 3-4, see Dallas vs. New England, and many different responsibilities in those defenses.

I don't know how anyone can look at the tape and not be impressed. The guy is around the ball constantly. His interviews impressed the hell out of me and he's got great measurables especially for his size. Kerrigan was "my guy" for awhile but Jordan has taken that title. Hope Dom goes and gets this guy.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#12 : April 07, 2011, 06:17:22 PM

Very good offseason

I guess but doesnt the film show the truth? I guess that a guy can learn from his mistakes and practice those.
First of all the NFL teams probably hadn't even set up their boards yet so you are going by what the Walterfootball, FFtoolbox, and Scott Wright were projecting.  Not the same thing and it wasn't like he came out of nowhere.  They all still considered him  a 1st rounder before the senior bowl.  I remember seeing a mock with him going to us.  he was probably thought of as  strictly a 3-4 DE before and showed the NFL he was versatile and could play in other schemes in Mobile.  By all accounts he and Von Miller were the best players there.  From what I remember reading, he was the most dominate.  I'd be very surprised if he doesn't go in the top 15.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#13 : April 07, 2011, 06:25:23 PM

During the season scouts are wrapped up in the college games on Saturday and Dominik and the coaches are doing everything they can to win games on Sunday. No one really has time to fully analyze every single prospect. It takes these 2-3 months after the season to make sense of everything that happened in the fall.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Buc45

Starter
#14 : April 07, 2011, 08:38:03 PM

The Bucs were high on him at the Senior Bowl and he played all over the place at Cal... Also, defensive end has always been a dangerous position in the first round, the bust rate seems to be insane... If we draft Houston and he can't get more than 4-5 sacks a year then it is a waste since that is pretty much all he does... Jordan is much more well-rounded and would help our putrid run defense as well...  Another thing, personally I like hearing positive feedback from the Senior Bowl as people get to see them matchup in drils, working in practice, receiving instruction, playing in different positions, etc...Jordan seemed to someone everyone raved about at the Senior Bowl...He also have great game tape and measurables to back it up...

3 weeks out...I am all about 2 safe picks and possibly a riskier third... I want Jordan or Kerrigan (another Senior Bowl standout) ...or possibly Aldon Smith (riskier but the guy produces and keeps getting bigger...has the frame to become a freak)...  Quinn is a pipe dream...I think he will be grabbed early... Anyone else I just can't get excited about in the first round...
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why Cameron Jordan? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools