Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFL scout Jayson Braddock looks at the Bucs situation « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : April 09, 2011, 12:47:33 PM »

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Inside the War Room By Jayson Braddock
NFL Scout
April 9th, 2011

It’s almost that time of year, when owners, coaches, general managers, and the rest of the front office lock themselves in a room and heavily debate which players to draft to improve the team.  This room is called the “War Room” for a reason.  Everyone in this room is heavily opinionated and has become attached to a prospect that they don’t believe the team can do without.

In this segment, we will put ourselves in the war room and go over the picks we believe teams need to make when they’re on the clock.  We’ll cover all 32 teams, but today’s segment is dedicated to the: Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
Raheem Morris and his young Bucs team surprised some people in 2010.  They improved a team that had only won 3 games in 2009, to a 10 win team last season.  They did this while starting 10 rookies.  It’s impressive no matter who the opponents but when you dive deeper into the wins, you realize that the only win of any significance, was the last game of the year versus the Saints.  The other 9 wins were all against teams with a losing record.

Even with so many young players stepping up into key roles, the Bucs still have a lot of holes remaining.  Unfortunately, Morris may have a new position to fill that he didn’t expect to going into the offseason.  Aqib Talib is facing some legal woes and is the most talented defensive player on the team.  He’s facing some serious charges and if found guilty could be sentenced up to 20 years.  Starting opposite of Aqib Talib at the other cornerback position, is an aging Ronde Barber.  Morris has to not only find a corner to groom as Barber’s replacement but also have someone to step up in case the team releases Talib.

I don’t feel bad for the situation that either the Bucs or Raheem is in.  As I wrote on December 8, 2010 in my “NFL Rage” piece, Tampa has started targeting rookies with a jagged past. Tampa has to abandon that strategy with this year’s draft class.  The Bucs have to get high character guys that can contribute immediately and stay out of trouble.

Tampa drafted defensive tackles last year with Gerald McCoy and Brian Price.  They need to add a defensive pass rush beside them now.  LeGarrette Blount was one of those rookies that played a key role in 2009.  He shared carries with Cadillac Williams and that’s the best way to use him.  Williams is a free agent and I wouldn’t resign him.  I would look for a speed back to use as a weapon on 3rd downs.  They’ll need some offensive line help to pave the way for Blount and the rookie back.  Tampa could use another offensive tackle, guard, and a center for insurance / upgrade.

Tampa needs to get a middle linebacker because they currently don’t have any under contract.  They probably will resign Barrett Ruud but need depth here regardless.  This team isn’t far off but they have to start building the right way.  If they keep trying to build their foundation on faulty material, the whole organization will fall.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Mock Draft

Round 1 Pick #20: Aldon Smith, DE,  Missouri – Tampa Bay needs a pass rusher to come off the edge as actually force pressure on the opposing quarterback.  In their division they face Matt Ryan and Drew Brees a combined 4 times a year.  They’ll need to make those guys uncomfortable, often.  Smith shows that type of ability and should be ready to go early.

Round 2 Pick #51: Martez Wilson, MLB, Illinois - Wilson will need to develop behind a vet.  Tampa would be wise to draft Wilson and either resign Ruud or bring in a player that can mentor and play at a high level until Martez is ready to take over.  Martez plays with caution on tape, he’ll need to learn to fly around if he’s going to take over the middle of a NFL defense.

Round 3 Pick #84: Deunta Williams, FS, UNC – Williams is a ball hawk that can pick up some of the slack that this secondary will suffer if they lose, Talib’s range as a corner.  He’ll also be able to protect the backside of an aging Ronde Barber and possible rookie cornerback on the other side.

Round 4 Pick #116: Dion Lewis, RB, Pittsburgh – Dion has the shiftiness of a Barry Sanders type running back.  He can change direction with the best of the them.  Lewis style would compliment Blount’s perfectly.  It would be a tremendous blend of power and elusiveness.

Round 5 Pick #151: Jah Reid, OT, Central Florida - The Bucs need to improve at the right tackle position.  Reid is a developmental product, with a risk that could eventually turn out as a huge reward.  He shows the ability to become a player in the NFL but is inconsistent and has moments of bad judgement in games.

Round 6 Pick #187: Steve Schilling, OG, Michigan – This wouldn’t be a WOW pick, but it would allow the Bucs to be on their way of building a solid, dependable line.  They could bring in these young guys and let them develop together.  They’ll have an offense to fear for years.

Round 7 Pick #222: Korey Lindsey, CB, Southern Illinois – Lindsey has some red flags around him due to the fact of some injuries.  If Korey can stay healthy, the Bucs would have a plan of grooming him to play the nickel, unless Talib isn’t retained.  Then he would have to step into the limelight quicker than desired.

Round 7 Pick #238: Chase Beeler, C, Stanford – We have now given the Bucs security across their whole offensive line.  Jeff Faine is a good center but the injury bug seems to keep biting him.  The NFL draft allows  teams to get talented interior lineman late.  Teams could risk passing on Beeler in the 7th and hope to gt him as an undrafted free agent but we have the Bucs shoring up the position without risk here.

That’s how it played out in our Mock of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers “War Room”.

awitron

Hall of Famer

« #1 : April 09, 2011, 01:06:52 PM »

Martez Wilson sucks but the rest of that draft isnt bad at all. I dont think we have a chance at Aldon Smith as I dont think he gets through the storm of 3-4 teams ahead of us.

These are my concerns about Schiano. He thinks hes the **CENSORED**, when really he is someone who couldn\'t win the Big East once in 10 years.

I said it before and I\'ll say it again, Josh Freeman is the only thing that can save this franchise from this dude. If he doesn\'t adjust his style AND Freeman cant win enough, we\'re going to be wondering who the next coach is going to be in 2 years.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

« #2 : April 09, 2011, 01:30:09 PM »

Not bad.

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
« #3 : April 09, 2011, 03:55:30 PM »

I think im falling for Aldon Smith

bfarbs

Pro Bowler
« #4 : April 09, 2011, 04:51:17 PM »

Wouldnt mind Smith. Prefer Jordan and Kerrigan but like Smith better than Clayborne and Houston.  Martez Wilson isnt for us. His game film is poor. Bucs not interested. Other than that, the picks sound good to me. Would love to get Dion Lewis in Round 4. Agree with that analysis.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
« #5 : April 09, 2011, 05:06:05 PM »

I get the thought process but I agree that Wison isn't worth taking in the 2nd.  Maybe go with a CB, LDE or OL there.  Maybe get another OLB in the middle rounds.  Still a better mock than the latest PR one.  Like the fact he realizes the OL should be addressed, unlike PR.

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
« #6 : April 09, 2011, 05:08:45 PM »

Don't like any part of this draft. But that's just me.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
« #7 : April 09, 2011, 05:11:30 PM »

it wouldn't be my mock either but he does try to address some of the big needs we have.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #8 : April 09, 2011, 06:10:42 PM »

I'm not sold on Wilson.  Rather have Jones, Sturdivant or Foster.

Still need another DE and if it comes out with Smith (who I also am starting to like as a pure RDE) then we have to get a
proven DE in free agency.

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #9 : April 10, 2011, 01:19:55 AM »

I actually like that mock more than any I have seen so far.  Every pick is useful. I don't see the point in drafting a position we don't need like WR.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

nitey

Hall of Famer
« #10 : April 10, 2011, 08:26:38 AM »

Frankly I don't trust the authors opinion on the draft canidates enough to say if this is a good or bad mock. He is so off on his assessment of the Bucs that I can't take at face value his opinion of his picks. Here are some of the statements that he mentions that sets me off:

"t’s impressive no matter who the opponents but when you dive deeper into the wins, you realize that the only win of any significance, was the last game of the year versus the Saints.  The other 9 wins were all against teams with a losing record."
This is such a crock statement. In 7 of those games against teams that eventually had losing records, we were the underdog and expected to lose. Everytime I see a writer mention this phrase I immediately lose all respect. In December, with a playoff berth on the line, the Bucs played their best and played that way despite having rookies starting in key games.

"As I wrote on December 8, 2010 in my “NFL Rage” piece, Tampa has started targeting rookies with a jagged past. "
Another statement that proves the author has his head up his ass. Tampa is not 'targeting' rookies with a jagged past. I'm assuming that he's referring to Blount and Williams, but in both cases, once you read about the circumstances, listen to their coaches and teammates you realize that these are not bad guys. Also, neither has a past history of continued problem behavior.

"If they keep trying to build their foundation on faulty material, the whole organization will fall."
Oh, it they would just hire YOU, they would draft SOOOO much better. All but one rookie from their draft class made that 10-6 team last season and half of them started and contributed in a major way. Even players without a 'faulty' past. This guy is so damn full of himself, it just galls me.

So, while some of his positional picks make sense, I don't trust his player picks any more than some of the picks by posters on this board. He says that the Bucs need more talent on the defensive line, but only addresses that in one pick. I seriously doubt that the Bucs will address the DL with only one pick.

JMO.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #11 : April 10, 2011, 08:32:28 AM »

This team isn’t far off but they have to start building the right way.  If they keep trying to build their foundation on faulty material, the whole organization will fall.

WTF??

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

bashear

Hall of Famer

« #12 : April 10, 2011, 12:51:24 PM »

This team isn’t far off but they have to start building the right way.  If they keep trying to build their foundation on faulty material, the whole organization will fall.

WTF??
We took a gamble on Williams in the 4th, and swiped Blount from the Titans. We did have Stevens, which was an embarrassment, and the there's the Talib-Jackson holdovers. But, if I remember correctly, it seemed that many of the players we drafted last year were in leadership roles on their college teams.

From what I've seen, Williams and Blount were pretty good gambles, contributing much to our 10-6 record. We'll see what happens down the line with them. But Williams and Blount weren't the only players we drafted\obtained last year.
  Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFL scout Jayson Braddock looks at the Bucs situation « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools