Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Every sport needs a villain.....could the Bucs be next? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

: April 09, 2011, 04:59:46 PM

When you look at some of the memorable past teams in sports....especially the ones that drew large tv ratings, several villains come to mind. The "bad boy" Piston teams of 1989 and 1990 that everyone hated. The "bad boy" 1993 Phillies with their crew of outcasts and don't forget  the villainous "bad boy" Raiders of 1976. Professional wrestling has always worked off of the premise of "good guy" vs. "bad guy". That formula always draws a crowd and gets spectators riled. Could the Bucs and the media be setting the team up to become the next generation of famous "bad boys"?

Seems like every game telecast and every article written about the Bucs has to constantly rehash the past troubles of Mike Williams, LeGarrette Blount, Dexter Jackson, Aqib Talib, etc, etc. Furthermore, to quote the Bucs themselves they thrive on the villain role.....

"We kind of thrive on that environment," coach Raheem Morris said. "We like that hostile environment. We like when people don't believe in us. We like when people tell us what we can't do, and my young team kind of thrives on it."

"I think we draw closer together and I can't really say play better, but I think everyone feels comfortable on the road," Freeman said. "I feel great on the road. You're in a hostile environment, but at the same time, you're with all your guys, it's you against the other team and the stadium. I really think that our guys have done a great job stepping up and playing well on the road."

'They kind of thrive on the boos,'' Morris told The St. Petersburg Times. ''They kind of thrive on the middle fingers rolling into the stadium. They thrive on that negatively or that us-against-the-world mentality because they're all kind of a young football team and they all listened to (rapper Tupac Shakur) growing up.''

Your thoughts....do you mind supporting a team like this? I guess the Oakland, Detroit and Philly fans never had a problem with it. I personally believe if they end up winning a championship, fans will roll with it. If they fail to achieve that level of success, the fans and media will carve them up.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#1 : April 09, 2011, 05:09:01 PM

other than Talib I really don't think this is a team full of bad boy types.  Freeman is the face of the franchise and he seems like a stand up guy.

bucfan26

Pro Bowler
#2 : April 09, 2011, 05:26:48 PM

I don't see it with the personnel on this team minus Jackson & Talib.

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

#3 : April 09, 2011, 05:46:56 PM

I can't wait until they get this labor situation resolved...

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#4 : April 09, 2011, 05:52:08 PM

We don't see it because we have a little more insight into the players on the team and what the guys are made of but it seems like every article I read these days talks about the Bucs' need to improve the character of the players they are drafting and the media refuses to let the past of the young guys go even though, in most instances, it has nothing to do with criminal behavior. And Morris himself proclaims they are relishing in the "boos". I  may be wrong but I just see this team being set up for it. Every other team has its share of guys with issues, too, but it almost appears on the surface as a marketing ploy on behalf of the media to label the team this way.

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#5 : April 09, 2011, 06:35:06 PM

Thats more of a made up perception that I don't think any fan of other teams actually have.

JDog

Hall of Famer

#6 : April 09, 2011, 08:33:32 PM

They thrive on that negatively or that us-against-the-world mentality because they're all kind of a young football team and they all listened to (rapper Tupac Shakur) growing up.''

This is a good example of why I hate Morris.   How can you not hate this guy being head coach of this football team?

Capt Kidd

Starter
#7 : April 09, 2011, 08:41:32 PM

They thrive on that negatively or that us-against-the-world mentality because they're all kind of a young football team and they all listened to (rapper Tupac Shakur) growing up.''

This is a good example of why I hate Morris.   How can you not hate this guy being head coach of this football team?

Yeah, cuz he's so....BLACK!

JDog

Hall of Famer

#8 : April 09, 2011, 08:44:56 PM

Dungy is also black.   But I liked him as HC.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#9 : April 09, 2011, 08:46:55 PM

I'm guessin' you probably grew up listening to Barry Manilow, Java, but I don't specifically hate you for it...............a lot.

JDog

Hall of Famer

#10 : April 09, 2011, 08:48:19 PM

Actually, I used to listen to the Theme from Rocky before my sporting events to get me fired up.   

JDog

Hall of Famer

#11 : April 09, 2011, 08:56:42 PM

There's a big difference between being black and being a class act like Dungy and being black and promoting a thug rapper like Tupac as your source of inspiration.    It's not the color of his skin I dont like, it's his character in general.

ISLAND BUCS

Starter

#12 : April 09, 2011, 09:18:09 PM

Cyber:  I think you are on to something.  I cringe when I watch the Bucs games and every announcer has this pre-programed piece to talk about Blount and show him throwing a punch.  Game after game the press indulges in its protrayal of Blunt throwing a punch.  We know it was a spur of the moment thing encassed in frustration of loosing, and that Blount is a good person.  But the media needs something to talk about to further their media career.

Now we have T Jax,   and Talib, and you can bet the house that if and when they come back there will be a steady stream of negative press about them.

Will it go far enough to tar the entire Buc team.  I am not sure.  But the press is always looking for an angle, and I can imagine the press progressing to the point where the Bucs are LABELED AS "vILLANS."

JDog

Hall of Famer

#13 : April 09, 2011, 09:29:14 PM

We know it was a spur of the moment thing encassed in frustration of loosing, and that Blount is a good person. 

You really are blinded by homerism.

Dude has rage issues.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#14 : April 09, 2011, 09:32:19 PM

Your blind by your hatred for morris. It really pisses you off that he took over Grudens job. I love it.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Every sport needs a villain.....could the Bucs be next? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools