Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Greg Salas from Hawaii « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

bucyou

Rookie

: April 10, 2011, 05:56:46 AM

Greg Salas-6'2, 206lbs, 40 yard dash=4.5, vert=37, broad=10......why take a WR in the early rounds when we can take GREG SALAS from hawaii in the 5th or 6th round! Greg Salas is the MAN! he can make every catch, he's a good route runner, team player, speed, and he plays with heart.
: April 10, 2011, 06:02:29 AM bucyou

nitey

Hall of Famer
#1 : April 10, 2011, 08:43:03 AM

And where would we play him? We have Williams, Benn, Briscoe and Parker - not to mention Stroughter. While I suppose it's good to pick up good players late in the draft, we will still have pressing needs in the 5th or 6th round especially if we double up on the DE or LB position. Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing the player or your thought, but I question whether we need to address a position that has no apparent need at the expense of some other position where the need is greater.

JMO.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

pancake block

Starter

#2 : April 10, 2011, 08:48:26 AM

it REALLY seems odd to say this but,.........wide reciever is really not a need here.....1st time in forever to say THAT

Chris_BucFan60

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Pro Bowler

#3 : April 10, 2011, 02:47:40 PM

Why does everyone keep forgetting about MICHAEL SPURLOCK as a reciver played very great will only get better I like our reciving corps.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#4 : April 10, 2011, 03:34:34 PM

Other than AJ Green, Greg Salas is my favorite WR in the entire draft. I think the OP is way off though. If he is there for us in the 4th round we would be be extremely lucky. No way he makes it to the 5th or 6th round. Most sites have him projected as a 3rd round pick. I think the colts will grab him but I'd love to have him in the slot.

TheDuder

Second String
#5 : April 10, 2011, 04:34:22 PM

Watching that video made me like the guy alot. Whoever gets him in the draft will get a good player

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#6 : April 10, 2011, 05:55:30 PM

Even though he is a good player. I dont think we will draft a WR this year. We have Williams, Benn, and Briscoe making plays for us. Just dont see it. I see us getting speed RB before WR.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#7 : April 10, 2011, 06:05:23 PM

Briscoe played in like one game. Sammie didn't look very special last year and nobody knows for sure how quickly Benn will come back from his injury. Mike Williams is our only sure thing at WR. If Salas is there in the 4th there is a good chance he is the BPA. It would be a mistake to skip over a great receiver. I hope our young receiving core ends up being great but it is far from proven. Salas looks like he could possible challenge Benn as the 2nd best WR on the roster. I can't imagine passing on that opportunity in the 4th round.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#8 : April 10, 2011, 06:21:03 PM

Benn is reported to be way ahead of schedule, Stroughter is still solid slot guy, Spurlock was a nice weapon last year, and Briscoe is an up and comer. Parker is there too, but Im not as high on him as many on these boards seem to be.

No offense, but Salas has done less than all of the Bucs WRs because he hasnt played a down in the NFL. Proven or not, the Bucs WR corps is only missing a speed guy and the rest have shown enough to roll with them heading into this year. I only see a late round pick at best being spent on a WR. It would be hard for a WR to break onto the roster unless they were a great STer IMO.

If Salas falls to the 4th hes of great value, but honestly Freeman has shown he can get it to guys in any situation. He had 2 rookie WRs and Stroughter and Spurlock as his main targets at WR and put up one of the best seasons of any QB in the nfl(QB rating 6th overall). Another reason I dont see the Bucs spending a pick on WR before the 6th or 7th.

Theres also a big recieving weapon in Winslow as hes a WR lining up as a TE. Add in the Bucs have made it known they want a pass catching TE, theres little room for a guy like Salas.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#9 : April 10, 2011, 06:30:34 PM

Well it depends on how highly you think of Salas. I mean if you believe as I do that he can be a top slot guy in the NFL, then it doesn't make sense to pass on him. Stovall is horrible and Spurlock/Preston are average at best. If we let those three walk and drafted Salas we'd have a great young core of 5 WRs.  I mean Mike Williams, Rejus, Salas, Briscoe, and Stroughter would be a very nice WR corp for many years to come.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#10 : April 10, 2011, 06:50:18 PM

A top slot guy? so a top #3 WR? I just dont see it being an option unless youre in love with the guy. Im betting the Bucs arent.

Id also like a little speed from my slot guy.  Salas doesnt play fast.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#11 : April 10, 2011, 08:17:18 PM

A top slot guy? so a top #3 WR? I just dont see it being an option unless youre in love with the guy. Im betting the Bucs arent.

Id also like a little speed from my slot guy.  Salas doesnt play fast.

Not sure where you get that he is slow. Salas has a very effective 2nd gear. It's easy to see on film and all his prospect reports say it's a strength of his. His size and speed is almost exactly the same as Mike Williams and Benn.

As far as him being a slot guy, that is just where I think he would best fit but he could easily end up being a better fit outside. In my mind only Mike Williams has locked down his spot. Briscoe is pretty much only an outside receiver, and Stroughter is limited to being a slot guy. Benn and Salas could play inside or out which adds competition, depth, and versatility.

In the end I see a guy that plays much bigger than he is. A guy that uses his body very effectively to shield defenders from the ball while he catches anything thrown his way. He always reaches out and catches the ball away from his body with his hands, he goes up and gets it at it's highest point, and he is more physical than most Tight Ends. I think he's special and while we have some good young recievers, we don't have anyone like him.

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#12 : April 10, 2011, 08:37:09 PM

I don't think we really need another WR myself, but I sure would love Alex Green (RB) from Hawaii. 

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#13 : April 10, 2011, 08:57:45 PM

Bucs will not go after Salas.

Williams, Benn, Stroughter, Parker, and Briscoe (who played well when he hit the field, and made a remarkable catch showcasing his talent) are solid and young, and all but eliminate the need to draft another WR who would struggle to see playing time as a result of proven quality, youthful depth.  I like Briscoe as a slot guy myself.  even Stroughter in year 3 might be a better player.

Salas had a nice collegiate career, he will be picked up by some teamneeding more skill position players (i.e. Colts, Carolina, Browns, etc...).  Bucs need pass rushers, they need linebacker help, they need another young running back.  They also need a tight end, but not as badly as seems to be the issue lately.  Wide receiver is not a need.  It might be the deepest position on the team.  It IS the deepest position on the team.  To bad Freeman cannot throw two footballs at once.

awitron

Hall of Famer

#14 : April 10, 2011, 09:10:13 PM

We got Mike Williams, Arrelious Benn, Michael Spurlock, Preston Parker, Sammie Stroughter, and Desmond Briscoe all on the roster already. Theres six already. No need whatsoever for Salas. Considering hes a 3rd-4th round pick right now, its beyond a luxury to pick him up.

These are my concerns about Schiano. He thinks hes the **CENSORED**, when really he is someone who couldn\'t win the Big East once in 10 years.

I said it before and I\'ll say it again, Josh Freeman is the only thing that can save this franchise from this dude. If he doesn\'t adjust his style AND Freeman cant win enough, we\'re going to be wondering who the next coach is going to be in 2 years.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Greg Salas from Hawaii « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools