Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Greg Salas from Hawaii « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#15 : April 11, 2011, 01:08:39 AM

I'm sure in 2005 when we had Caddy, Pittman, Graham, and Alstott you would have said running back was not a need either, but imagine if we had taking Marion Barber in the 4th round instead of wasting the pick on Dan Bruenning cause we needed an offensive lineman? All we need to do is draft the BPA and we'll be better off in the long run. Free Agency is for filling holes with stop gaps....the draft is for stockpiling the most young talent possible. If Salas is the BPA in the 4th you gotta take him. At least that's how I see it.

Draft Aaron Donald

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#16 : April 11, 2011, 01:23:35 AM

I just think we have other needs than WR. I think as long as we grab players in key positions of need who can contribute then we are using the draft the way we should be. I mean if Salas really is a guy who they think is too good to pass on then I think we may make that move. However I just see us going in another direction because we can get a guy in the 4th who would help our defense. I mean we did it with Grimm and Biggers. I think Dom has done a great job with the draft and I think he can find a guy who can help our defense out in the 4th round whos not a WR. We have the necessary WRs for now. So there would be no point in grabbing a WR right now. Maybe if the guys we do have somehow dont live up to their potential or even show that they are on the road to their potential this next season then yea it becomes a problem and WR becomes something we need again.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#17 : April 11, 2011, 02:00:07 AM

A top slot guy? so a top #3 WR? I just dont see it being an option unless youre in love with the guy. Im betting the Bucs arent.

Id also like a little speed from my slot guy.  Salas doesnt play fast.

Not sure where you get that he is slow. Salas has a very effective 2nd gear. It's easy to see on film and all his prospect reports say it's a strength of his. His size and speed is almost exactly the same as Mike Williams and Benn.

As far as him being a slot guy, that is just where I think he would best fit but he could easily end up being a better fit outside. In my mind only Mike Williams has locked down his spot. Briscoe is pretty much only an outside receiver, and Stroughter is limited to being a slot guy. Benn and Salas could play inside or out which adds competition, depth, and versatility.

In the end I see a guy that plays much bigger than he is. A guy that uses his body very effectively to shield defenders from the ball while he catches anything thrown his way. He always reaches out and catches the ball away from his body with his hands, he goes up and gets it at it's highest point, and he is more physical than most Tight Ends. I think he's special and while we have some good young recievers, we don't have anyone like him.

a second gear? how about a 3rd then. Dude might be as fast as Williams or Benn on a GOOD DAY. Thats my point, every WR on the Bucs roster is that fast. They need SPEED, not a 4.59 possesion WR. Hes similar to a couple of the WRs already on the roster(Williams, Benn) and Im not sure where you think hes such a unique talent. Hes good, but nothing the Bucs dont already have.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#18 : April 11, 2011, 03:38:58 AM

Exactly Tatman.  Benn and Williams both look to be the real deal.  And Briscoe has a ton of potential.  Enough so that Coach Lewis was fuming about the BUcs getting him and signing him to a min deal.  And the catch he made flashed to me.  So that is three solid potential rookies.  Throw in Parker and Stroughter as the quick, smallish types, and possibly Mo Stove as a ST ace-gunner, and the BUcs have no need for Salas. 

One could argue that stockpiling guys is good, but what if the BUcs decide that their ridiculously thin pass rush should be the "victim" of three draft picks.  Including sleepers in round 4?  Maybe even a sleeper linebacker, considering how shallow that corp looks as well.

Going after Salas is foolish.  It may, in hindsight, come back to haunt, but nobody knows fo sho.  Not one of you do.  Acting like "you knew it" is absurd.  You would be a millionaire scout otherwise.

That said, I think the kid shows potential.  Eric Decker maybe?  I still think Decker will turn out to be alright.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#19 : April 11, 2011, 07:29:59 AM

I think ill be sick if we grab a wr in the first 4 rounds.  I'm all for BPA but within reason.  If julio jones drops to #20, do we grab him?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#20 : April 11, 2011, 08:25:19 AM

Time will tell. I'll check back on this thread is a year or three.

Draft Aaron Donald

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#21 : April 11, 2011, 08:33:48 AM

And where would we play him? We have Williams, Benn, Briscoe and Parker - not to mention Stroughter. While I suppose it's good to pick up good players late in the draft, we will still have pressing needs in the 5th or 6th round especially if we double up on the DE or LB position. Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing the player or your thought, but I question whether we need to address a position that has no apparent need at the expense of some other position where the need is greater.

JMO.

Exactly my thought. Why bother wasting a draft pick when WR might be our deepest position.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#22 : April 11, 2011, 08:48:03 AM

It's a difference in philosophy. Poster after poster keeps starting off their post with the words "what we need" and that is where we disagree. I think you should use free agency to fill your immediate holes, but the draft is for finding the most talented young players you can possibly get no matter the position. If Salas is not the BPA in the 4th round than this is all a mute point. If he is the BPA then to me you take him. It really depends on your opinion of the guy. It makes no sense to take him in any round unless you think he is special, but if you think he's the next Donald Driver then it is foolish to pass on him in the 4th because we have a bunch of promising young WRs that might end up being great.

In the first round you can let need effective your pick slightly, and it can effect your pick a little in the 2nd round too...but to me you need to be going with the BPA from the 3rd round on. I don't care if that player is a QB...it's the smart choice in building and maintaining a great roster long term.

Draft Aaron Donald

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#23 : April 11, 2011, 08:55:30 AM

It's a difference in philosophy. Poster after poster keeps starting off their post with the words "what we need" and that is where we disagree. I think you should use free agency to fill your immediate holes, but the draft is for finding the most talented young players you can possibly get no matter the position. I

This is such a false dichotomy between BPA and needs. In almost any case Salas will be there in, say, R4 and graded out in exactly the same band as 10 other guys. In that case you take one of those 10 guys because they are all "BPA" by your grades and then sort that by need and Salas would in almost any scenario be the last guy in the sort because WR is such a non-issue in this draft. You have to get to a point where Salas is the only player in his grade band left before he'd be the player you'd take.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#24 : April 11, 2011, 09:23:14 AM

We got Mike Williams, Arrelious Benn, Michael Spurlock, Preston Parker, Sammie Stroughter, and Desmond Briscoe all on the roster already. Theres six already. No need whatsoever for Salas. Considering hes a 3rd-4th round pick right now, its beyond a luxury to pick him up.

Preston Parker will be lucky to have a roster spot

bucyou

Rookie

#25 : April 11, 2011, 07:38:30 PM

I so agree with Jdouble! go for BPA and not needs. the free agents are gonna be loaded this year after the lock out and i think we can find fillers there.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#26 : April 12, 2011, 05:41:16 PM

We got Mike Williams, Arrelious Benn, Michael Spurlock, Preston Parker, Sammie Stroughter, and Desmond Briscoe all on the roster already. Theres six already. No need whatsoever for Salas. Considering hes a 3rd-4th round pick right now, its beyond a luxury to pick him up.

You left off Stovall and another guy who was on the PS. We have 8 picks and many more needs. Other than Stovall, all of our WRs are young and just getting started. We need to give them the reps and find out what we've got. It makes more sense to use our picks on positions where a player has a realistic chance of contributing something in an actual game. A speed RB or a TE with receiving skills could give Freeman another target and not force cuts in our WR corps. We need some depth at several other positions before we should even consider another WR.

The top priority has to be to upgrade our talent. In another year or two we can stockpile for the future. Right now we have to anticipate our weaknesses and address them. WR is NOT a weakness, and won't be barring a rash of injuries.

bucyou

Rookie

#27 : April 23, 2011, 07:01:01 PM

I still think Greg Salas is one of the best receivers in this draft...stovall ,Spurlock, and Stroughter sucks!

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#28 : April 23, 2011, 07:57:26 PM

That's kinda harsh. Spurlock actually came up big for us last year quite a few times in crunch time when we really needed him. I think he's good depth. I don't think he is a starter, but he definitely doesn't suck.

Stroughter was invisible last year. I'm not ready to give up on him, but he needs to show big this year or we'll probably look for someone else.

Stovall does sucks.

We definitely have a baller in Williams and I pray Benn is healthy and ready to go....but Briscoe is still just an unknown with potential. I can't see passing on a stud like Greg Little if he's there in the 3rd or Greg Salas if he's there in the 4th. We simply aren't stacked at WR like some seem to think. I assume Stovall is done in Tampa, so if we have Williams, Benn, Stroughter, Briscoe, and Spurlock then where is the competition? That's our 5 WRs and they know they are all safe. I'd rather get a stud like Little or Salas if we have the chance to get them. Have Stroughter, Spurlock, and Briscoe competing for 2 spots.

Anywho, my gut tells me Salas will end up with the Colts or Packers.
: April 23, 2011, 08:08:12 PM JDouble

Draft Aaron Donald

The Franchi5e

Pro Bowler

#29 : April 23, 2011, 08:46:36 PM

You don't think that we should draft Salas but that the Packers would/should when they have Jennings, Driver, Jones and Nelson plus Finley at tight end, and you think the Colts would even though they have Wayne, Collie, Garcon plus Clark and Tamme at tight end. I admire Sammie for his heart and he was a feel-good story and will always have a special place with Bucs fans for catching the game winning catch in Freeman's first start, but he basically didn't do anything for us this past year. Spurlock made clutch catches all year for us, he's basically our version of Jason Avant, I'd keep him around but he's not starter material. I think Briscoe is a great talent and he's obviously going to be back for next season so there's no reason to even debate him. But Stovall absolutely sucks and might have single handedly cost us a playoff berth with that atrocious missed tackle where he thought he was playing two hand touch on the Falcon's kickoff return that went for a touchdown, and Parker wasn't even getting playing time let alone looks.

Mike Will, Rejus, Briscoe and Salas would be a huge, physical receiving core. Although if you replaced Salas with Titus Young or Austin Pettis I wouldn't be against that either.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Greg Salas from Hawaii « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools