Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why Slot Receiver is a Priority « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#15 : April 11, 2011, 11:05:14 AM

Since I know what the word "priority" means, I know that slot WR isn't one.  Defensive ends, Offensive Linemen, and Linebackers are a priority.  Slot WR's are not.

Totally agree... though, I'm not totally sure that it's fair to just label Jerrigan as a slot guy (as the OP has).  I don't see any reason why he CAN'T or WON'T be a #1 or #2.  Reguardless though, I don't think the Bucs would/should take a WR in the first 5 rounds unless someone falls way too far.

My only point is that I think Jerrigan could fill a big roll on the team because he brings something different and valuable to the position. While a guy like Hankerson, even though he may a very good player, may be too similiar to Briscoe and Mike Williams to justify a high pick.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#16 : April 11, 2011, 11:22:04 AM

I can't see WRS being a priority...   I think what you're seeing is a young, developing offense (and mistakenly - IMO of course) labeling it a deficiency in talent at the
slot.

As had been stated, we have 3 or 4 guys that can really do a great job at the slot position, given more development time.  (Olson, Freeman and the WR's)

Watch that highlight that has showed up in several threads, Freeman is throwing them open underneath...  and has had a few anticipatory throws.

If there's a 'need' at wideout, it's got to be that speed guy...  to increase the anticipatory throws percentage completed and to clear out the underneath for the slot wideouts.

Just my $.02

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#17 : April 11, 2011, 11:29:30 AM

lets give guys like stroughter, parker, and spurlock some time to really develop (along with williams, benn, and briscoe).   there's only one football to go around.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#18 : April 11, 2011, 11:34:31 AM

Since I know what the word "priority" means, I know that slot WR isn't one.  Defensive ends, Offensive Linemen, and Linebackers are a priority.  Slot WR's are not.
Well-fuggin said

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#19 : April 11, 2011, 11:38:51 AM

I gotta tell ya BP1, I'm not against taking Jerrigan in any way, shape, or form... or any WR for that matter.  I'm not like most who think our WR is so impervious.  The only thing is that I wouldn't spend a top 3 (round), pick on one this year.  Now, if Jerrigan should fall to the 4th round for some strange reason, the Bucs should waste no time in getting his name to the podium.

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#20 : April 11, 2011, 11:58:52 AM

I gotta tell ya BP1, I'm not against taking Jerrigan in any way, shape, or form... or any WR for that matter.  I'm not like most who think our WR is so impervious.  The only thing is that I wouldn't spend a top 3 (round), pick on one this year.  Now, if Jerrigan should fall to the 4th round for some strange reason, the Bucs should waste no time in getting his name to the podium.

This line of thinking where you have to draft by need in the early rounds seems flawed to me. I understand targeting Tackles, DE's, Corner Backs, and Quarterbacks in the first round, but after that I think you are pretty close to as likely to find a good linebacker in the 3rd round or even later as you are in the 1st and 2nd. The same holds true for Guard, Safety, Running Back and blocking Tight End. We need pass rushers, but assuming we grab one in the first is their really that much of a difference between taking a guy like Jaball Sheard (if he even falls that far) in the second to taking a guy like Ricky Elmore in the 4th? In recent years there has been a lot of value at the WR position in the middle of the 2nd round.

Supreme

Starter

#21 : April 11, 2011, 12:03:29 PM

This line of thinking where you have to draft by need in the early rounds seems flawed to me. I understand targeting Tackles, DE's, Corner Backs, and Quarterbacks in the first round, but after that I think you are pretty close to as likely to find a good linebacker in the 3rd round or even later as you are in the 1st and 2nd. The same holds true for Guard, Safety, Running Back and blocking Tight End. We need pass rushers, but assuming we grab one in the first is their really that much of a difference between taking a guy like Jaball Sheard (if he even falls that far) in the second to taking a guy like Ricky Elmore in the 4th? In recent years there has been a lot of value at the WR position in the middle of the 2nd round.

Just stop, you're looking like a complete moron.

notabucsfan

Hall of Famer

#22 : April 11, 2011, 12:05:48 PM

A Slot Receiver is a LUXURY to this team not a priority.. Huge difference... We have a great young talented receiving core and I believe its the deepest position on our team. Also if we were going to go for a slot receiver I would much rather see us take a shot at Dane Sanceznbacher from Ohio state in rounds 6 to 7. Hes more like a Shipley or Welker receiver and would be a better fit.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#23 : April 11, 2011, 12:12:18 PM

Have been over this. We dont need another WR right now. Maybe later when its a proven weakness. Right now its not. We had many WRs make plays when they needed to last year. They will only get better too as they are young as hell.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#24 : April 11, 2011, 12:20:57 PM

This line of thinking where you have to draft by need in the early rounds seems flawed to me.

Aren't you the one saying drafting a slot WR should be a priority, meaning it's a need?

I understand targeting Tackles, DE's, Corner Backs, and Quarterbacks in the first round, but after that I think you are pretty close to as likely to find a good linebacker in the 3rd round or even later as you are in the 1st and 2nd. The same holds true for Guard, Safety, Running Back and blocking Tight End.

Why don't you apply this logic to WR's?

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#25 : April 11, 2011, 12:33:44 PM

We are stacked at WR.

Tampa-Two

Hall of Famer

#26 : April 11, 2011, 12:45:36 PM

Dont we allready have Sammie Stroughter (when healthy, knock on wood), Preston Parker and Micheal Spurlock to play in the slot allready?

If we dont re-sign Stovall we still have 6 wide outs on the roster with MW, Benn, Briscoe and the 3 above. Do we need 7?

I think we had 7 on the roster last season because 4 of them were rookies.

TheDuder

Second String
#27 : April 11, 2011, 01:01:12 PM

Be crappy against the run or have another WR.......WR sounds awfully gooooooodd

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#28 : April 11, 2011, 01:38:48 PM

This line of thinking where you have to draft by need in the early rounds seems flawed to me.

Aren't you the one saying drafting a slot WR should be a priority, meaning it's a need?

I understand targeting Tackles, DE's, Corner Backs, and Quarterbacks in the first round, but after that I think you are pretty close to as likely to find a good linebacker in the 3rd round or even later as you are in the 1st and 2nd. The same holds true for Guard, Safety, Running Back and blocking Tight End.

Why don't you apply this logic to WR's?

Fair enough, and I definitely don't mean to argue with one person who agreed with me even slightly. I just think that if Jerrigan makes it to us in the 2nd round he very well maybe BPA and he could have a significant impact on the team for all of the reasons I outlined and as a kick returner.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

#29 : April 11, 2011, 02:07:05 PM

Parker doesn't have short area quickness?  He was 6th out of all WRs at the combine in the 20 yard shuttle.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why Slot Receiver is a Priority « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools