Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why Slot Receiver is a Priority « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6

ras01

Second String

#75 : April 13, 2011, 09:22:58 PM

I don't feel there are any TEs or RBs worthy of an early pick either though, so that's just my opinion.

I dont ever doubt you draft knowledge, but Jacquizz .Rodger  is a game changer I've seen this kid take games over, he also can run between the tackles unlike most small backs. To me he is a mixture of Warrick Dunn and Marshall Faulk. I would give up a 3rd  for him.

Supreme

Starter

#76 : April 14, 2011, 12:46:04 AM

The WRs you posted were all planned to play a major part of their respective teams when they were drafted but It doesn't necessarily mean that they pan out and contribute.
Also, I can't agree that some of the WR you listed were meant to be complimentary type receivers with hope of becoming more.  Holmes, Gonzales, Heyward-Bey, Britt, Thomas, Avery,  Maclin, Tate, Mccluster,and massaqoi were drafted for an immediate impact. Unfortunately, some of them have't lived up to their draft status. Why use premium draft picks on players you don't expect to contribute immediately? That's what later rounds are for. Truth is, the majority of the WR you listed were drafted by their respective teams because they were in desperate need for WR or because their value at their position was that good.

Your list you completed is missing some names too.

2006 - Round 2, pick 36 - Chad Jackson - 176 yards total - 88 yards a season
2006 - Round 2, pick 44 - Sinorice Moss - 421 yards total - 84 yards a season
2007 - Round 1, pick 9   - Ted Ginn Jr. - 1827 yards total - 456 yards a season
2007 - Round 1, pick 27 - Robert Mechem - 1011 yards total - 252 yards a season
2007 - Round 1, pick 30 - Buster Davis - 182 yards total -  45 yards a season
2007 - Round 1, pick 32 - Anthony Gonzales - 1307 yards total - 326 yards a season
2007 - Round 2, pick 45 - Dwayne Jerrett  - 428 yards total - 107 yards a season
2008 - Round 2, pick 34 - Devin Thomas - 445 yards total - 148 yards a season
2008 - Round 2, pick 41 - James Hardy - 96 yards total - 32 yards a season
2008 - Round 2, pick 46 - Jerome Simpson - 279 total - 93 yards a season
2008 - Round 2, pick 51 - Malcolm Kelly - 365 yards total -  121 a season
2008 - Round 2, pick 43 - Limas sweed - 69 yards total - 23 yards a season
2008 - Round 2, pick 58 - Dexter Jackson - 0 yards total - 0 yards a season
2009 - Round 1, pick 7 - Darrius Hayward-Bey - 490 yards total - 275 yards a season
2009 - Round 2, pick 36 - Brian Robiskie - 416 yards total - 208 yards a season
2010 - Round 1, pick 22 - Demaryius Thomas - 283 Yards total
2010 - Round 2, pick 60 - Golden Tate - 227 total yards

You can't spread the yards between all of these receivers to compensate for others, especially since the stats between all of these receivers differ so much. It's hit or miss.

The point I'm trying to get at is that the draft is a total crap-shoot. Each pick is a gamble. As you can see, even guys that were labeled as high profiled prospect don't always pan out.
Why gamble with our premium draft picks on a lower prospect that plays a position that's already been made solid? Unless Jones or Green fall to us I'd be hesitant to spend a draft pick on a WR before the 5th round.
I'd be willing to give up a future 2nd/3rd on Michael Floyd though if he enters the supplemental draft

WOW... talk about totally missing the point.  Well, we are apparently going to disagree on what the teams perception of these players were.  That being said, my whole statement/research was to simply contradict your statement that the drop off in production of 2nd round receivers compared to the first round.

In response to this "You can't spread the yards between all of these receivers to compensate for others, especially since the stats between all of these receivers differ so much. It's hit or miss.", I purposely excluded players of both first and second rounds that didn't (or who I think won't), pan out to show that if a player HITS, it doesn't matter what round they were taken in.  Also, as I stated, the sample sizes aren't that drastic as I showed 11 out of 15 first rounders and 11 out of 21 second rounders.  I didn't use any stats from the players you listed in my previous post.

No, I get your point. I just believe that each draft is different from one another in terms of it's strength in each position. Just as DTs were loaded with talent the previous year and WRs were the year before that.
This years draft so happens to be very top heavy with talent in the WR position with a large drop off after Jones and Green. I'm not saying that the later round receivers can't be productive, but that the likelihood of them developing
into solid playmakers is much lower.

Like I said before, the draft is a total crapshoot. That's why teams use high draft picks of players they believe can make an immediate positive impact, not projects.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#77 : April 14, 2011, 09:00:40 PM

Well again it just comes back to how highly the Bucs have a player graded. If they think like you then it would be foolish to waste the pick on another average WR. If they think like me that a kid like Salas is special and would be a steal in the 4th (like Mike Williams) then it would be foolish to pass on him simply because we have young receivers with potential.

Imagine for a second that we still had Antonio Bryant last year and he was tearing it up. Imagine Stroughter was killing it and we just drafting Arrelious Benn in the 2nd round. Most of you guys would be saying it would be stupid to take Mike Williams with our 4th. It wouldn't be a need and therefore a wasted pick in many minds....but it would have been a huge mistake to pass on him. Ask the other 31 teams in the NFL.  It's all about the in house grade. If the Bucs think a player is special they need to take him despite his position.

how "special" do you think salas is?  is he worthy of a 1st round pick?  a 2nd?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#78 : April 14, 2011, 10:46:47 PM

I don't feel there are any TEs or RBs worthy of an early pick either though, so that's just my opinion.

I dont ever doubt you draft knowledge, but Jacquizz .Rodger  is a game changer I've seen this kid take games over, he also can run between the tackles unlike most small backs. To me he is a mixture of Warrick Dunn and Marshall Faulk. I would give up a 3rd  for him.

When I say early pick I mean 1st or 2nd round. There r lots of RBs I like for the 3rd round and a later. Quizz is great.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#79 : April 14, 2011, 10:55:01 PM

Well again it just comes back to how highly the Bucs have a player graded. If they think like you then it would be foolish to waste the pick on another average WR. If they think like me that a kid like Salas is special and would be a steal in the 4th (like Mike Williams) then it would be foolish to pass on him simply because we have young receivers with potential.

Imagine for a second that we still had Antonio Bryant last year and he was tearing it up. Imagine Stroughter was killing it and we just drafting Arrelious Benn in the 2nd round. Most of you guys would be saying it would be stupid to take Mike Williams with our 4th. It wouldn't be a need and therefore a wasted pick in many minds....but it would have been a huge mistake to pass on him. Ask the other 31 teams in the NFL.  It's all about the in house grade. If the Bucs think a player is special they need to take him despite his position.

how "special" do you think salas is?  is he worthy of a 1st round pick?  a 2nd?

Personally I think he is worth a 2nd or 3rd but since we really don't need a WR...I say if he is still there in the 4th he is too good of value to pass up.

ras01

Second String

#80 : April 14, 2011, 11:43:16 PM

If Salsa or Little is there in the 4th the Bucs should take one of them. Little kinda of reminds me Dez Bryant. He also has better leaping ability then M.Williams and better Yac then A. Benn. I'm not trying to knock on either Williams or Benn. Salsa catches everything remind me of Eric Decker without the injury concerns.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#81 : April 15, 2011, 12:27:42 AM

Greg Little reminds me of Shannon Sharpe. Same size and same style game.

ras01

Second String

#82 : April 15, 2011, 09:51:01 AM

It would be sweet if we drafted him and converted him to tightend.
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why Slot Receiver is a Priority « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools