Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs to play in london again « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5

Tebowmania 25

Pro Bowler

« : April 12, 2011, 06:08:41 PM »

I wouldn't mind it if it wasn't one of our home games!

Source: Bears to face Bucs in London

The Chicago Bears will play the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in London during the 2011 season, according to sources familiar with the situation.

The NFL regular-season schedule will be released next week with dates and times.

Chicago last played in London on Aug. 3, 1986, when the Bears beat the Dallas Cowboys 17-6. It was the season after the Bears won Super Bowl XX.

The San Francisco 49ers beat the Denver Broncos 24-16 in London last season.

All games are contingent on a resolution of the NFL's current labor woes.

"The Carmen, Jurko & Harry Show" on ESPN 1000 first reported the news, which was confirmed by ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/news/story?id=6339320

JDog

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

« #1 : April 12, 2011, 06:11:58 PM »

At least the Bucs will have one "home" game that is not blacked out.

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer
« #2 : April 12, 2011, 06:35:17 PM »

I understand the reasoning. But id really hate if it was a home game again. There were blackouts - yes, but still that doesn't say anything for the upcoming year.

Also, I'd prefer if the bye week was after the london game. It really is a routine breaker.

Green Right Slot, Albacore 3 Y Quesadilla

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #3 : April 12, 2011, 06:46:06 PM »

From what i've been told, its is a Buc home game.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

-ts

Hall of Famer
« #4 : April 12, 2011, 06:50:33 PM »

While it sucks we lose another home game, I honestly can't blame the NFL, and it will give the team more national exposure hopefully putting on a good show in London.

Tampa-Two

Hall of Famer

« #5 : April 12, 2011, 06:51:40 PM »

Since I live in Europe these news are great!

Im going if its true. Without a doubt!

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #6 : April 12, 2011, 06:53:48 PM »

This isnt totally bad news but it wouldve been nice if it wasnt another home game.

1Va bucsfan

Hall of Famer
« #7 : April 12, 2011, 06:57:52 PM »

Well atleast for my sake its not the Dallas game because I plan on being in Tampa for that and meet most of the gang down there!

\\\"The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot, the guy who invented the other three, he was a genius

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
« #8 : April 12, 2011, 07:26:08 PM »

Didn't we just play there

antcam

Rookie

« #9 : April 12, 2011, 07:34:29 PM »

Is it always a home game for the NFC team?

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

« #10 : April 12, 2011, 07:55:42 PM »

This is really ridiculous! Bucs just played there two years ago vs Patriots! Whatever happened to all teams having to share the burden of playing there? There goes a home game probably in October and the advantage that the Tampa heat brings against a team from the north. Plus, vendors, parking people, concession stand workers, etc. now all are going to miss a game's pay. Then there's the issue of breaking up a team's routine in the middle of the season. Yea, bucs should know what to expect but that doesn't mean the jet lag and media responsibilities over there don't take their toll. The players HATE doing this trip. This could be a huge game in terms of the playoffs! Wish the Glazers would sell that frickin' soccer team so their presence over there would be eliminated and thus ties to the Bucs. Unbelievable!

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #11 : April 12, 2011, 08:13:46 PM »

With the lack of fan support, i wouldn't be surprised if the Glazers asked for it. I believe the game sold out in 10 minutes last yr...... and i don't blame them one bit.

baybuc35

Hall of Famer
« #12 : April 12, 2011, 08:17:20 PM »

The scary part is they want a team to mo e there what team you think would be top on that list

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #13 : April 12, 2011, 08:22:54 PM »

The scary part is they want a team to mo e there what team you think would be top on that list

Before the conspiracy theories go too far on how the Tampa Bay Buccaneers playing in London means they’re moving there, stop.

The Bucs may be visiting London for the second time in two years when they play the Chicago Bears in Wembley Stadium this season. But the Bucs and the NFL aren’t looking for a permanent rearrangement.

Yes, Tampa Bay ownership had some say in getting this game. And, yes, that same ownership also owns the Manchester United soccer team. But this is about a lot of other things beyond relocating a team that plays in one of the league’s finest stadiums (Raymond James Stadium, which is being paid for by taxpayers) and one of the league’s finest practice facilities (One Buccaneer Place, which was paid for by ownership).

The Bucs aren’t looking to get out of Tampa Bay and the NFL probably wouldn’t let them. The league already threw its weight around to keep the Bucs in town in the 1990s. The league likes the market and likes having Tampa Bay as a Super Bowl venue (the area is probably the front-runner for the 2015 Super Bowl, which is expected to be announced in the fall). There are at least several markets the league would consider abandoning for London or Los Angeles before the Bucs would even get a shot to escape.

This is much more about marketing. This is a team that’s marketing itself hard and there have been and continue to be talks about appearing on HBO’s “Hard Knocks’’ this summer. This is also a team that struggled to sell tickets last year, when all home games were blacked out on local television.

The Bucs have lowered season-ticket prices and sales have improved in a region where the economy still is struggling. But, at least at the moment, the Bucs are probably looking at some more blackouts next season. Imagine if Chicago came to Raymond James Stadium for this game? I’m not talking just the Bears. I’m talking about all the Tampa Bay transplants from Illinois and all those who would make the trip down for a weekend when it’s winter in Chicago and summer in Tampa Bay.

That’s how it used to be every year back before the Bucs became good and the new stadium was built. Back in the days when the Bucs played in the NFC Central, it was the norm for crowds to favor Chicago, Green Bay, Detroit and Minnesota. If you want more recent evidence, just look back to last season's home game with Pittsburgh.

By taking their act to London, the Bucs are saving themselves and their fans from the strong possibility of a hostile takeover by Chicago fans. They’re also marketing their team on an international stage, which might help solve the attendance problem for the long term.

Oh, and guess what else? The Bucs just lowered season-ticket prices again. Take the cost of the Chicago game off the cost of season tickets and you’ve got another discount. Oh, one other thing -- if you don't have season tickets and live in the Tampa Bay area, you'll be able to watch the game on television.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/19942/bucs-trip-to-london-could-help-at-home

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #14 : April 12, 2011, 08:35:36 PM »

This is really ridiculous! Bucs just played there two years ago vs Patriots! Whatever happened to all teams having to share the burden of playing there? There goes a home game probably in October and the advantage that the Tampa heat brings against a team from the north. Plus, vendors, parking people, concession stand workers, etc. now all are going to miss a game's pay. Then there's the issue of breaking up a team's routine in the middle of the season. Yea, bucs should know what to expect but that doesn't mean the jet lag and media responsibilities over there don't take their toll. The players HATE doing this trip. This could be a huge game in terms of the playoffs! Wish the Glazers would sell that frickin' soccer team so their presence over there would be eliminated and thus ties to the Bucs. Unbelievable!

Agree.

With the lack of fan support, i wouldn't be surprised if the Glazers asked for it. I believe the game sold out in 10 minutes last yr...... and i don't blame them one bit.

And unfortunately, I also agree with this, Todd.

It sucks but with the crappy fan support, I can't blame them for giving up a home game.
  Page: 1 2 3 ... 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs to play in london again « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools