Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Most overrated prospects: Kerrigan « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#15 : April 13, 2011, 01:16:23 PM

I think what  a lot of fans forget when evaluating potential defensive ends prospects with all tht potential promise from the college level is a players ability to not only get to the quarterback  but also cause turnovers Kerrigan had 33.5 sacks, but he also was able to force the ball out evident by his 14 fumbles. Where as a player like Bowers had a total of 19.5 sacks and only one forced fumble. While it is something that can be taught, no one can be sure Bowers will be able to do it consistently. Where as Kerrigan has a skill that should carry over since he has a nak for it at the collegiate level. It also speaks volumes to how active his hands are.

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#16 : April 13, 2011, 01:36:20 PM

JDouble, you do this a lot --it's NFP, not PFT.

Haha thanks! I do do that a lot. I don't even know what a PFT is!

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#17 : April 13, 2011, 02:19:44 PM

Kerrigan has the production to be a 1st round pick. He has the skill to be a first round pick. He has the drive and work ethic to be a first round pick.

People are complaining because he may not be the most athletic guy every picked at #20 or #17 or whenever but his intangables make him so very attractive to many teams who want high character guys.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#18 : April 13, 2011, 02:24:06 PM

I think the lack of athleticism is hilarious. He went to the combine and matched or exceeded guys like Akeem Ayers, Justin Houston, and Robert Quinn....but he's still considered to lack athleticism? I think it's smokescreen and most teams don't agree. That's why I won't be surprised in the least when Kerrigan goes top 10.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#19 : April 13, 2011, 02:36:48 PM

Kerrigan is the best pass rusher in the draft. PFT has been pumping out the BS this offseason. Wes Bunting is a tool.
Then he should go top 10, no?

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#20 : April 13, 2011, 03:55:01 PM

Did you read my last post directly above?

That's why I won't be surprised in the least when Kerrigan goes top 10.

He has the best production of any DE in this draft. He was solid three years in a row and was dominant the last two of those years even when teams game planned for him. He has multiple pass rush moves and great hand work. He has a great motor, and work ethic. He has no character or medical issues. He proved at the combine he is just as athletic as any DE in this draft. He has prototypical size at 6'4" 270lbs. I don't need anyone to agree with me, but I'd love to hear a rational explanation as to why he is not the top DE in this draft and why someone else is better.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#21 : April 13, 2011, 04:09:40 PM

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#22 : April 13, 2011, 04:24:22 PM

He has the best production of any DE in this draft. He was solid three years in a row and was dominant the last two of those years even when teams game planned for him. He has multiple pass rush moves and great hand work. He has a great motor, and work ethic. He has no character or medical issues. He proved at the combine he is just as athletic as any DE in this draft. He has prototypical size at 6'4" 270lbs. I don't need anyone to agree with me, but I'd love to hear a rational explanation as to why he is not the top DE in this draft and why someone else is better.
If it were only that simple. I'm not saying Kerrigan won't be the best DE in this draft, but at a certain point what's logical flies out the window and weird things happen. Consider the case of two prospects.

Gaines Adams
2007 #4 pick
college sacks: 31
size: 6'5" 258 lbs
40: 4.64
10: 1.58
Vert: 35"
Broad: 9'11"
Shuttle: 4.36
3-Cone: 7.17

LaMarr Woodley
2007 #46 pick
college sacks: 22
size: 6'2" 266 lbs
40: 4.74
10: 1.65
Vert: 38"
Broad: 9'9"
Shuttle: 4.42
3-Cone: NA

By virtually every measure, Adams was the superior prospect. Look at what happened just this past year. Carlos Dunlap, the #54 pick, was the leading sacker among rookie edge rushers.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#23 : April 13, 2011, 04:33:10 PM

Gaines had one move. Outside speed rush. He lacked the strength to do work inside with the big boys and was lousy vs. the run.

Many say Kerrigan's ceiling is not as high as other prospects, but just about everyone agrees he is the most complete, and NFL ready DE in the draft. Even his detractors admit that.  I don't see what Gaines has to do with the topic of Kerrigan.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#24 : April 13, 2011, 04:38:30 PM

I don't see what Gaines has to do with the topic of Kerrigan.
My point is when you have similar players at a position all rated closely like Kerrigan, Quinn, Smith, and even Houston, and none of them are super prospects like Julius Peppers, ANYTHING can happen once they get drafted. If you're sold on Kerrigan, good for you, but I for one won't be surprised if ANY of these players has 10 sacks this year or if ANY of them have 2.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#25 : April 13, 2011, 04:45:50 PM

Gaines had one move. Outside speed rush. He lacked the strength to do work inside with the big boys and was lousy vs. the run.

Many say Kerrigan's ceiling is not as high as other prospects, but just about everyone agrees he is the most complete, and NFL ready DE in the draft. Even his detractors admit that.  I don't see what Gaines has to do with the topic of Kerrigan.

I think Sheard is a more complete DE, and in addition has more room to grow into his body

jbear

Pro Bowler

#26 : April 13, 2011, 05:10:49 PM

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/The-drafts-top-five-overrated-prospects.html

Which prospects will end up getting too much love come draft day? Wes Bunting
APRIL 12, 2011Print This7 COMMENTS

A look at who I see as the drafts most overrated prospects.

ICON
Kerrigan is stiff when asked to breakdown.
DE Ryan Kerrigan: Purdue (6-4, 267)
I like Kerrigan as a pass rusher. The guy is relentless, he displays violent hands and has the short-area quickness to disengage and work toward the passer. However, in my mind hes simply too stiff to stand up as a 34 OLB and isnt nearly the type of anchor player many make him out with his hand on the ground. I think eventually he can mature into a solid three-down defensive end, but in my mind I dont ever see him as an impact 10-plus sack guy in the NFL.

Follow me on twitter: @WesBunting

I only watched a few highlight films and could tell you that.  Every time it's brought up inevitably somebody thinks I made it up.  He does not look too good when run at and we already have enough problems trying to keep from getting pushed around.  I'm not saying he wouldn't be a good pick at 20, he's got some nice looking pass rush skills, I just think the love around here is a little overdone.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#27 : April 13, 2011, 06:13:01 PM

Did you read my last post directly above?

That's why I won't be surprised in the least when Kerrigan goes top 10.

Well considering he isn't a complete DE in this class, for starters is one of the main reasons why he won't be the first DE taken first. Sorry but you gotta be a huge Kerrigan fan boy if you think otherwise. Ryan has good pass rush upside but he is far from a beast in the run defense area. He isn't even as close as good as a run stuffer as Cam Jordan or Bowers. You can't really compare production with him and Jordan since Cam played just about everywhere. Bowers and Kerrigan in their first three years are just about even, except Bowers had better production, 1 more sack and more TFL's(again points to run defense). Quinn is a better pure pass rusher than him as well. Quinn has the best hip bending ability out the draft, nobody turns the corner better than him. Quinn matches him with pass rush arsenal too and he's younger than Kerrigan so his game and frame isn't even maxed out yet. That is why he is rated higher over him in many peoples draft boards.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#28 : April 13, 2011, 06:39:14 PM

swwet vid, now lets count how many times he was untouched or went up against a TE. Kerrigan fan boys tend to over look the fact that he was constantly untouched from the backside on his "highlight" run defenses, lots of blown blocking assignment, or from play breakdowns. Watch his games against ND and Michigan. If hes the biggest threat on Prudue, teams never doubled him and rarely made a point to try to stop him with extra help.

Hes the most overrated prospect on this board. Hes a good DE and a solid prospect, but no way in hell is he the best. If he was, hed be in the talk for a top 10 pick. He just isnt and its for a reason. EVERY scout and mock site in the country has him going outside of the top 10.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#29 : April 13, 2011, 06:42:45 PM

Kerrigan is the best pass rusher in the draft. PFT has been pumping out the BS this offseason. Wes Bunting is a tool.

+1

He is easily one of the worst guys out there.  I think most here could do a better job.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Most overrated prospects: Kerrigan « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools