Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Anybody Else Bothered By This? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#30 : April 14, 2011, 07:18:50 AM

Its the same as going into a restaurant or any other business. If you don't act accordingly as a customer, you can be tossed.

And since flying in a commercial airline isn't free, you're paying for the privilege. You don't have the right to get on a plane without paying for the privilege.

Pretty simple.
: April 14, 2011, 07:27:28 AM morgan

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#31 : April 14, 2011, 08:12:55 AM

Didnt Ben Franklin warn us about this? A people who sacrifice a little freedom for a little temporal security deserve neither.

This is such a tired, out dated argument ....There's no way, even in one of his liquor/drug induced stupors, could Ben have envisioned what the world is like today

You sure about that? Our founding fathers were revolutionaries.

If they were alive today they would be pounding for Americans to revolt right now. None of them could have imagined how much power and wealth was in the hands of so few individuals, and how much conservative economic principles have made our nation resemble a plutocracy.

There. I figured the previous statement showed a slight misunderstanding of what the revolution was actually about and what the original economic structure of the U.S. was so I fixed it for ya. No thanks is necessary.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#32 : April 14, 2011, 09:01:09 AM

Didnt Ben Franklin warn us about this? A people who sacrifice a little freedom for a little temporal security deserve neither.

This is such a tired, out dated argument ....There's no way, even in one of his liquor/drug induced stupors, could Ben have envisioned what the world is like today

If they were alive today they would be pounding for Americans to revolt right now. None of them could have imagined how much power and wealth was in the hands of so few individuals, and how much conservative economic principles have made our nation resemble a plutocracy.

There. I figured the previous statement showed a slight misunderstanding of what the revolution was actually about and what the original economic structure of the U.S. was so I fixed it for ya. No thanks is necessary.

So the country is more conservative economically than they were 200 years ago?

The sky is purple, dammit!!!

bucpimpin

Pro Bowler
#33 : April 14, 2011, 10:15:41 AM

but to say flying (as a passenger) is a privilege is wrong minded - unless one is talking about the pilot who needs a license, in the same way some folks offer driving a car is a privilege.  Buying a ticket is not a privilege.

By choosing to be a passenger on an airline, you give up a lot of your rights in order for the airline industry to ensure yours and other's safety. If you don't like it (including scanning/patting-down children), take another mode of transportation.

It is not a 'privilege' - which was the point.  And I have no intention of bandying words with you Morgan - pointing out paying a fare for transportation is not a privilege.

I get it .. you dont like the pat down.. But you cant possibly tell me that when you sit in row 22B that you dont feel infinitely more secure that everyone in the plane went through tough screening. C'mon. now.

bucpimpin

Pro Bowler
#34 : April 14, 2011, 10:17:38 AM

Its the same as going into a restaurant or any other business. If you don't act accordingly as a customer, you can be tossed.

And since flying in a commercial airline isn't free, you're paying for the privilege. You don't have the right to get on a plane without paying for the privilege.

Pretty simple.

There isn't much we agree on, but this is one. It's as if some would rather have a couple planes go down with lax security than tough security and almost 0 planes go down. I dont get it.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#35 : April 14, 2011, 01:31:51 PM

There isn't much we agree on, but this is one. It's as if some would rather have a couple planes go down with lax security than tough security and almost 0 planes go down. I dont get it.

She went through the scanner once and the mom offered to send her through the scanner again. Most people only have to go through the scanner and don't get the pat down.

Tell me again how going through the scanner is lax security. If that's the case, then we're screwed. Or, maybe you're not using common sense.

Maybe we should try this alternative? The relevant part starts at 3:00 in...

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#36 : April 14, 2011, 05:38:44 PM

but to say flying (as a passenger) is a privilege is wrong minded - unless one is talking about the pilot who needs a license, in the same way some folks offer driving a car is a privilege.  Buying a ticket is not a privilege.

By choosing to be a passenger on an airline, you give up a lot of your rights in order for the airline industry to ensure yours and other's safety. If you don't like it (including scanning/patting-down children), take another mode of transportation.

It is not a 'privilege' - which was the point.  And I have no intention of bandying words with you Morgan - pointing out paying a fare for transportation is not a privilege.

I get it .. you dont like the pat down.. But you cant possibly tell me that when you sit in row 22B that you dont feel infinitely more secure that everyone in the plane went through tough screening. C'mon. now.

You go through a scanner - I'm good with that.  If there is something su**CENSORED**ious - and frankly I don't care what it is - you get the pat down, and I don't have an issue with that.  Safety does come first.  Now- to the reality - the 9 year old girl was patted down why again? 

As for the privilege gig - that is a huge stretch Morgan.  Maybe if you could find it in an article...

: April 14, 2011, 05:42:34 PM dbucfan

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#37 : April 14, 2011, 09:46:51 PM

You go through a scanner - I'm good with that.  If there is something su**CENSORED**ious - and frankly I don't care what it is - you get the pat down, and I don't have an issue with that.  Safety does come first.  Now- to the reality - the 9 year old girl was patted down why again? 

I'm still waiting for bucpimpin to tell us why putting everybody (including the 6 year old kids of the world) through a scanner equates to lax security.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#38 : April 14, 2011, 10:29:59 PM

Tell me about the corporate structure of the United States in the late 1700's-early 1800's...

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#39 : April 14, 2011, 10:36:52 PM

Tell me about the corporate structure of the United States in the late 1700's-early 1800's...

"Corporate structure?"  I don't see that phrase anywhere in the previous post that was quoted:

None of them could have imagined how much power and wealth was in the hands of so few individuals, and how much conservative economic principles have made our nation resemble a plutocracy.

I see "Conservative economic principles" and "original economic structure of the US".  Now, I know you can't possible be completely changing the argument once you get slapped across the face on a point, because you would never do anything like that.

Is the country more conservative economically now or not?  Because that's what you said.

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

#40 : April 14, 2011, 11:23:25 PM

If they were alive today they would be pounding for Americans to revolt right now. None of them could have imagined how gigantic and out of control the federal government would become.

I was refering more to Old Ben never fathoming the extraordinary evil the American people has as an adversary today in the form of terrorism and giving up some little freedoms to help secure us as a country... which is what this thread is about.

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

#41 : April 14, 2011, 11:40:47 PM

LOL S&B - he controls the building and premises - but to say flying (as a passenger) is a privilege is wrong minded - unless one is talking about the pilot who needs a license, in the same way some folks offer driving a car is a privilege.  Buying a ticket is not a privilege.

The privilege of flying is no different than the privilege of driving a car .... with there being rules, costs, etc that accompany each privilege .... unless you can come up with a different category apart from privilege and right, because it sure as hell isn't a right.

Kelly Thomas

Hall of Famer
#42 : April 15, 2011, 01:42:43 AM

Flying passenger on a commercial plane is in no way a privilege.That's a highly misinformed argument. (Try booking a plane based on privilege)
It's a purchase no different than buying a wheelbarrow or  a potted pant.

The issue here is does a six year old little girl need to be frisked up and down to make you feel safe?

If your answer is yes, then I would recommend you grow a pair.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#43 : April 15, 2011, 05:53:00 AM

The issue here is does a six year old little girl need to be frisked up and down to make you feel safe?

Gotta check everyone, including luggage. Has nothing to do w/ "having a pair" - Child could be carrying ignitable liquid used by cooky parents later on the plane.

TSA lady is doing a good job in insuring the safety of 200-300 passengers.

There a bigger problem that most of us should be more concerned about..........the security at airports surrounding maintenance, food workers, and anyone else who has easier access to the commercial airliners.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#44 : April 15, 2011, 05:57:00 AM

If they were alive today they would be pounding for Americans to revolt right now. None of them could have imagined how gigantic and out of control the federal government would become.

I was refering more to Old Ben never fathoming the extraordinary evil the American people has as an adversary today in the form of terrorism and giving up some little freedoms to help secure us as a country... which is what this thread is about.

I don't believe Old Ben and the others would tolerate the manner in which the American People have allowed the American Government to fail to address the security issues, and therefore 9 year old little girls walk through scanners and get pat downs.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Anybody Else Bothered By This? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools